Red2112

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up Ghost Recon Breakpoint for $15 and after seeing some videos of the improved immersion options.

I must say that I am very much enjoying it, and that I find that it offers a nice substitute from ARMA for small (4 player) cooperative.

Areas that I'm enjoying

1. The developers added the ability to disable the enemy drone armies/patrols - this was my biggest peeve with the game, and that it seemed to be more sci-fi than anything. I've joined COOP games that had the drones enabled and it wasn't fun.

2. The developers have added something called "Faction Missions". These are daily, auto-populated, and random missions that add fresh and replayability - simple tasks such as clearing enemy from areas, destroying caches, retrieving data, and hostage rescue. Very fun and adds lots to the "endgame".

This is something that seems like it could be very fun in an organized and deliberately planned COOP session.

The challenging, but enjoyable part of these faction missions is that you don't initially know the location of the objective, but must first gather information from detaining enemy fighters or locating Intel items (computers, documents, etc). Only then arr you given a general vicinity of the objective area in which you must still conduct further recon.... All the while dodging (or fighting) active enemy patrols.

Very fun and lots of promise for cooperative play.

9 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I picked up Ghost Recon Breakpoint for $15 and after seeing some videos of the improved immersion options.

I must say that I am very much enjoying it, and that I find that it offers a nice substitute from ARMA for small (4 player) cooperative.

Areas that I'm enjoying

1. The developers added the ability to disable the enemy drone armies/patrols - this was my biggest peeve with the game, and that it seemed to be more sci-fi than anything. I've joined COOP games that had the drones enabled and it wasn't fun.

2. The developers have added something called "Faction Missions". These are daily, auto-populated, and random missions that add fresh and replayability - simple tasks such as clearing enemy from areas, destroying caches, retrieving data, and hostage rescue. Very fun and adds lots to the "endgame".

This is something that seems like it could be very fun in an organized and deliberately planned COOP session.

The challenging, but enjoyable part of these faction missions is that you don't initially know the location of the objective, but must first gather information from detaining enemy fighters or locating Intel items (computers, documents, etc). Only then arr you given a general vicinity of the objective area in which you must still conduct further recon.... All the while dodging (or fighting) active enemy patrols.

Very fun and lots of promise for cooperative play.

Where did you pick it up for 15 bucks? and how does it run?

1 hour ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

UBI store for Thanksgiving Sale.

Runs incredible on my system. 

i7-4770K @ 3.5ghz (4 Cores)
16g RAM
8gig Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Downloading... 

I´ll live with the "would be wonky" friendly AI. Hit me up for some co-op after my two/three day playthrough if you like.

Red

2 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Ok thanks Apoc, I guess I missed that sale but do have another place were it´s at the same price.  I do hope they fixed the frendly AI with your squad mates...

But as you said, it might be worth just for the coop aspect.

It's not a good video depiction. 

1. He doesn't have the drones turned off - you can turn all of that OFF and very rarely will you ever encounter a drone - usually just around larger objectives, and one EMP grenade disables them easily. 

2. He has not modified his UI - you can turn EVERYTHING off. I prefer to play without enemy markers - it makes things much more challenging.

3. The AI is very abstract - they do fine when you order them to engage and will hold their own in a fight. When you have them on hold fire, they will appear to be wandering right in front of the enemy - but just imagine how much players would complain if the friendly AI always gave away the players position. I have had no issues with AI, and actually think coop is harder without the sync shot mechanic. 

Edited by Apocalypse 31

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

In VR this game shines! Perhaps if the controls were more intuitive and a lot less clunky I'd consider retrying it sometime.

I find the controls to be pretty smooth- these old tanks just ARE clunky, and one of the things that I really enjoy about the game is the weighty feeling of the tanks.

If you play on the finnish server in il2, you can use tanks and aircraft to capture/destroy objectives etc. etc. It's very akin to WW2OL just... better. Persistent map, different weather, seasons. Plus with full realism there's no GPS indicators on your map, I hope you know how to navigate by compass and terrain association.