Red2112

On 2/22/2022 at 11:54 PM, Red2112 said:

The game has been on a slow burner for some time now but It´s not abandoned as some say. They do suffer from a lack of communication, marketing and some overall game decisions...

- The game It´s self Is very well playable, no mayor bugs or alike and you do have bots that do a pretty good job overall.  The main reason why It´s still In EA Is because of two reasons. It´s not to the standard that the devs would like It to be, and two, It lacks a tutorial (more on this below).

- The lack of a tutorial has put off a lot of potential players which In turn has given the game a low player count, and no new blood to keep MP alive.  Although bots do a good job on the MP side too.

- Communication and the basic (veterans) community have moved to Discord were all the news and feedback Is received by the devs, along with whatever MP match up ocurres. This has brought some Issues with it like the feel of unattended user support and feedback on the Steam discussion group, which In turn has paved the ground to those who think the game has been abandoned. A poor pasture by the developers overall IMHO.

- Some server side support has been left behind with only a few servers working, although half empty with most activity only on the weekends. Most new users or to be users tag AFF as a MMO, so this Is a big negative for those who think likewise.  There´s no Issue In setting (hosting) your own game and playing with some friends, and AFF can be played solo with bots, but you know how kids are on Steam.

The truth Is that the devs are waiting to get there tutorials done, finish up some Ideas and then start a big marketing campaign. They never pushed the game marketing wise because of what I stated above (it´s not what they want as a finished product), but that alone has caused more hurt then good so far.  As the game Is, they could easily state that It´s finished to be honest, but they just don´t want to, and the fact of the for mentioned tutorial also adds to there decision not to.

It´s a passion project with some bad decision making, but not because It´s a bad or boring game.  Runs very well and playes very well too.

Discord:

https://discord.com/invite/AFF  

Like I said, you can find some people on the weekend but not much. Bots fill in the gaps...

Even though It´s a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i did not buy arma 3 because i was not interested in the semi-futuristic vehicles in the stock game; when they released historical vehicles as add on packs, it seemed to make better sense to me the other way around and offer the fictional vehicles as  add ons; i thought it was a good looking environment though, the maps looked good in the videos ive seen. while arma 4 is in a preliminary state, it doesn't look that much different, in some cases you could convince me it's the same game- similar with different color palettes, more a matter of preference. the one noticeable improvement i did see in another video concerns shadows rendered at a distance- while in arma 3 you could see any object lit by the sun at maximum range without shadows, in arma 4 shadows cast by the clouds and things like this give longer range scenes or scenes looking down at the ground from high altitude more sense of depth with shadows. you be the judge:

6 hours ago, Captain_Colossus said:

i did not buy arma 3 because i was not interested in the semi-futuristic vehicles in the stock game; when they released historical vehicles as add on packs, it seemed to make better sense to me the other way around and offer the fictional vehicles as  add ons; i thought it was a good looking environment though, the maps looked good in the videos ive seen. while arma 4 is in a preliminary state, it doesn't look that much different, in some cases you could convince me it's the same game- similar with different color palettes, more a matter of preference. the one noticeable improvement i did see in another video concerns shadows rendered at a distance- while in arma 3 you could see any object lit by the sun at maximum range without shadows, in arma 4 shadows cast by the clouds and things like this give longer range scenes or scenes looking down at the ground from high altitude more sense of depth with shadows. you be the judge:

image.thumb.png.96ce6545456110cec8747f4e12309f19.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

'Project Reality' Mod for BF2... yeah its still a thing! And its still being updated and improved.

Completely free and standalone title.

Ill be checking this out to see if there is much of a player-base these days

A clip from the developers highlighting some changes from a recent update;

On 1/15/2022 at 5:46 AM, Red2112 said:

Black One Blood Brothers has been released on Steam as EA. 

Steam: (15% off)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1621560/Black_One_Blood_Brothers/

Any one who has Black Day gets a free copy of Black One and should already have it In there library, at least I have.

So there´s no confusion, this is a one-man team so don´t expect triple A quality. Just add that just because a game Is triple A does not mean It has quality! I beat we all agree on that.

A very promising game that wants to bring back the R6 original gameplay/feel. Let´s hope It does, and the price Is not that bad. This and Zero Hour, both from Indi devs have really shown that FPS can come back and be what we old FPS gamers wanted since the glory days. 

No co-op but It Is considered In his roadmap.

Red

I tried it but after 59 minutes decided to refund. Its just not something that I see myself playing and the developer is kind of shady - having totally abandoned his first project and then rarely updating this one any longer. 

The amount of customization was immense and you could go crazy doing it. The UI wasn't so great, so customizing units, while fun, felt tedious and I lost my changes a few times. 

The maps, while few, were nice. Some were very detailed and looked like they'd be a ton of fun. 

The Team/Squad controls were also a nice tough. The friendly AI was really good and I felt great sitting back and just commanding the team. 

Where I made the decision to refund is where I don't think this game can improve; the movement and weapons handling just felt terrible. Movement was wonky - especially moving through interiors or around objects and the weapons handling definitely made this feel like it was an indy Unity project. 

Kudos to the developer (although I don't think he's actively developing) for getting to where this game is, but I think the core of the game is significantly flawed - with such poor movement and weapons handling. 

On 7/20/2022 at 8:08 PM, Bond_Villian said:

'Project Reality' Mod for BF2... yeah its still a thing! And its still being updated and improved.

Completely free and standalone title.

Ill be checking this out to see if there is much of a player-base these days

A clip from the developers highlighting some changes from a recent update;

the draw in distance looks very small, as if the whole world was buried in dense fog, i had loads of fun with the original battlefield 2 and small visual range, but that was acceptable because vehicles didn't have magnification levels which really exposed that, nor was the weapons range a factor. but if they are attempting more realistic sensors, fire control computers, weapons ranges, i think increasing the view distance should be a priority

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2022 at 6:25 PM, Apocalypse 31 said:

I tried it but after 59 minutes decided to refund. Its just not something that I see myself playing and the developer is kind of shady - having totally abandoned his first project and then rarely updating this one any longer. 

The amount of customization was immense and you could go crazy doing it. The UI wasn't so great, so customizing units, while fun, felt tedious and I lost my changes a few times. 

The maps, while few, were nice. Some were very detailed and looked like they'd be a ton of fun. 

The Team/Squad controls were also a nice tough. The friendly AI was really good and I felt great sitting back and just commanding the team. 

Where I made the decision to refund is where I don't think this game can improve; the movement and weapons handling just felt terrible. Movement was wonky - especially moving through interiors or around objects and the weapons handling definitely made this feel like it was an indy Unity project. 

Kudos to the developer (although I don't think he's actively developing) for getting to where this game is, but I think the core of the game is significantly flawed - with such poor movement and weapons handling. 

He Is still working on It, and he didn´t abandon his first project, It´s a finished game whether some accept that or not.  Steam fanboys will always be that, fanboys! Can´t expect a triple A animation out of a one-man show.

Black One_Sep..jpg

1 hour ago, Red2112 said:

Can´t expect a triple A animation out of a one-man show.

Certainly not. 

But the core component of an FPS is shooting and moving. If the developer can't get that right then the game is doomed to fail.

I hope he can fix it. There's a ton of potential with this project. It's just not there yet. 

It´s a finished game whether some accept that or not

Well...at what point does he consider this one finished too then? It's not ready for release. Not in this condition. 

Edited by Apocalypse 31

23 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Certainly not. 

But the core component of an FPS is shooting and moving. If the developer can't get that right then the game is doomed to fail.

I hope he can fix it. There's a ton of potential with this project. It's just not there yet. 

Well...at what point does he consider this one finished too then? It's not ready for release. Not in this condition. 

Since when?

Plenty of FPS games that don´t have animations done right, and/or even reloading for that matter. Casually there not doomed as you say and people still play them. FPS In general, as with other games will fail though, or as you state become doomed because kids now day´s for the most part are just to demanding, even If a game Is free (Polygon FPS), or just a 5 bucks game. They still demand It to be prime and/or custom to there likes/needs. Now days opinions have become facts with no real facts behind them, this has been normalized more In the gaming Industry sadly enough.

You know as well as I do that we wont get a sirloin steak for the price of a burger and fries, so I don´t get why people expect that, but yeah they keep trying and asking for It 😄

As for his recent project, It´s still In EA so I doubt he Is considering It finished.

Not really FPS, but you know I post what maybe good games to some. Can´t please everyone so yeah...

I have been enjoying this one and find It top notch when It come to 3D simulation. Still In EA but If you like cars/mechanics then this might be for you (Steam).

2 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Plenty of FPS games that don´t have animations done right

That's a MASSIVE difference in what I'm saying...

The core gameplay of moving and using your weapon is not good. I don't know how you build an FPS off of that.

You know as well as I do that we wont get a sirloin steak for the price of a burger and fries

Some fallacy here - 

1. I'm willing to at least TRY indie games with low expectation (I really enjoy Easy Red 2 and some could look that game and cringe)

2. Find me a AAA developer that will come along and deliver something decent

On 7/24/2022 at 6:25 PM, Apocalypse 31 said:

Then I understood you wrong, my bad.

21 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Find me a AAA developer that will come along and deliver something decent

That might never happen, as I stated many times, nothing Is perfect for everyone. But to name a good candidate In my opinion, that would be ArmA (Infantry only)...

Core mechanics for me In a FPS:

- Ballistics.

- Postures.

- Customization.

- ADS.

- Wind/weather effects.

- Hit registration.

- None aim bots?

Were It then all falls apart Is with It´s AI and pathfinding. Other titles like Escape From Tarkov, or Ready or Not can make the bill, but each have there own special Issues too.

Either way, this topic will always fall Into a rabbit hole I am afraid...

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Still hard to digest the futuristic gear/weapons In ArmA III...

Not hard to digest for me. 

1. Every weapon shown in that trailer is either fielded or a prototype. People have made that argument against A3 since it was released, but you can find almost every weapon or vehicle in game to be currently fielded by an real army, with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 vehicles that are loosely based on a real life vehicle.

2. Conflict is becoming more modern. Even non-state actors are capable of fielding fighter groups with modern weapons, gizmos, gadgets.