Red2112

^

I don´t think the casual ArmA gamer Is educated In what prototype weapons/vehicles are used In todays armies, but yeah conflicts are getting more modern. One just doesn't see them In mainstream media to justify there used for the mayor audience IMO. I also doubt your typical ensign Is using prototypes but could be wrong, I am not In the field, which brings my point...

• 2 weeks later...

@General Tobruk

Spent some hours on It today, on the Unit777 server which Is the only one populated so far. It´s fun and way different then the bunny rush play found In regular BF servers. Gameplay Is a lot slower and more fireteam oriented, were comms and team play are Imperative, like Squad.  As It gets more assets In play It will grow to be bigger and more popular, as It happened with BF2PR.

Game looks nice for the most part, but to me the best part Is how smooth It plays on a regular (or older) PC. The downside Is there´s no leaning as In the vanilla version.

18 hours ago, General Tobruk said:

This game looks promising. Combines FPS with RTS.

Yeah I have been looking at It since It went demo a few days ago. Graphics look real nice, and the mechanics are bit like Freeman Guerrilla Warfare / Mount and Blade / Call To Arms to name a few. Not really something new to the FPS/RTS genre and In my book a bit arcadey, that being said It could be fun to play.

Bluedrake has this tendency of making click bait titles for his videos. Instead of a straight forward game name title, he makes titles that either you click, or you have no Idea as to what It´s all about. Personally I stopped watching his videos...

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna put some hours Into the Game Master option as It does seem easy to get Into.

I am sure there´s more In depth videos out there but just so you get the Idea, similar to the Zeus system...

Recent update (today, 3GB) has fixed/added quite a amount of stuff on all sides of ArmA Reforger.

Back to what I was saying In my previous post about GR, they seemed to have fixed some Issues with the AI (smarter AI) In this recent patch, so this would be pretty good for a squad/fireteam(s) to play out some of those early days GR missions which were based around a squad and nothing else.

There are other assets Included now (vehicles) which one could also add In, and as I have red, they will be adding a lot more, so the more the merrier for mission. creation. 

This, and ArmA III are the only games that can recreate the "feel" of the original Ghost Recon series (GR, Desert Siege and Island Thunder) In my opinion.

I mean, look at this video, If no one told you It´s ArmA III, you would think It´s a awesome remake mod of Ghost Recon! 😉

Maybe Iam just hyped today haha! But yeah, me thinks so, and I really can´t find a substitute for the early days of FPS greatness.

What do you all think?

Red

While overwhelmed by the sheer amount of feedback 😄 I´ll just answer my own question with a video which reflects my opinion on the subject FWIW...

Vehicles and the netcode, among other things have been fixed since this video was uploaded to YT.

FYI, I had a play session with Reforger and the recent update on the weekend. It appeared more stable and I did not have any massive frame drop episodes like in the previous version. Mind you I was on a 40/40 server.

The 64/64 server (Powerbits??) was full, which is a good thing as it appears players have come back to test the update.

3 hours ago, General Tobruk said:

FYI, I had a play session with Reforger and the recent update on the weekend. It appeared more stable and I did not have any massive frame drop episodes like in the previous version. Mind you I was on a 40/40 server.

The 64/64 server (Powerbits??) was full, which is a good thing as it appears players have come back to test the update.

Nice! 👍

I did check this weekend, and yes there were about three full servers (one was Powerbits) but I didn´t join any. I wanted to look Into the editor/solo conflict mode Instead. One of the good things about Reforger Is that It´s not stressful on medium to low PC´s as with ArmA III. It runs pretty smooth on my older i5 with just 8GB of ram and a GTX 1060.

It will eventually pick up pace, and people will come back to It. I was very frustrated the first three months but have calmed down now that It´s working 😁  As soon as they officially add Helos, some more IFV´s and armor, ArmA fans will be all over It me thinks.

I do see a lot of crossplay on the full servers. In a way this Is good for player count because In real life there are more console players then PC players, whether we like It or not. At first I was spectacle about Xbox (console) players, afraid of mass kids play, but actually there Is quite a mature Xbox mil-sim player base from my experience In game.  The thing Is that the ArmA platform has always been tailored for PC´s for many reasons, one of the biggest hindrance for the console players Is the controller handicap (mapping limited), even some say this has crippled Reforger to be more limited due to BI wanting to use/add crossplay.  Although this also has It´s good side, we might not see a truck load of mods In play due to this crossplay limit thus making It easier to jump In a game without having a external drive with 100GB of mods!  Will see...

The editor does look quite complete, but can seem overwhelming to some. I think It has a lot of potential. Great foundation for this to grow, and to add for the upcoming ArmA 4.

On the other hand the Game Master mode seems quite easy and agile for on-the-fly gameplay. More so after this recent update.  

Here´s one Insight on the new update...

Most likely, things will get balanced and/or future content will counter what Is breaking Conflict mode for now.

from one of the youtube comments in that link:

According the last free version that i tried of Outerra, this is just a empty world with just nature. No roads, cities or another objects. To create cities you must create manually the roads ,railroads,piers, airports and every city buildings and the community doesn’t have lot of objects content to build cities. About military content the community just have a few airplanes and helicopters with lack of real physics. Nothing compared with arma3 community content at the moment. Now if they release a public version of Titan Im i would say that is a Arma3 competitor but at the moment Outerra is far to be close to Arma3 unfortunately.

TitanIM is the MIL version of this and certainly not to be confused with what Microprose is releasing. 

It's just a sandbox with little to no assets. My assessment is that this is a cash grab that will prey on confusing people into buying it because they think it's TitanIM

Who would actually buy this? 

Also-

Shermanator is such a tool and loves to post non-factual, clickbait titles to get views. 

Nothing screams "I am a giant YT tool" like his catalogue of videos

image.thumb.png.ecd4bce94af6df6fe8ab4cb23529bc7a.png