M1a2 commanders map...

Errand_Boy

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

It will show the map as you left it in the F5 view, and not pan with your own movement. But it will update, even if "map updates" have been disabled by the mission designer (!).

thnks for your response, understood.  it would be a nice feature if it did update in real time.  

• Members

It doesn't update in real life either, not even with a battlefield management system.

Our map already shows more information than you'd normally have. If at all, I'd rather increase map update intervals.

This is the whole point of Steel Beasts, and one that most games get wrong - you never have complete information about what's going on in battle, and yet you must make decisions (indecision being one of your options, often not the best one). You can only try to mentally add the missing pieces - by using the 3D view in addition to the map, by thinking in terms of doctrinal behavior of the enemy, and force templates.

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

It doesn't update in real life either, not even with a battlefield management system.

Our map already shows more information than you'd normally have. If at all, I'd rather increase map update intervals.

This is the whole point of Steel Beasts, and one that most games get wrong - you never have complete information about what's going on in battle, and yet you must make decisions (indecision being one of your options, often not the best one). You can only try to mentally add the missing pieces - by using the 3D view in addition to the map, by thinking in terms of doctrinal behavior of the enemy, and force templates.

aaah i see.  i assumed it did in real life, well then its fine the way it is.  you've done a great job with Steel Beasts, really a great sim - thanks!