Telstra Port Forwarding

FiachTiogair

Hello, does anyone have experience with port forwarding with Telstra? I've tried countless variations of the port forwarding and nothing works. canyouseeme.com can't see my ports, friends cannot connect to me etc.

1a1c04daa1.png

Here is a picture of my current port forwarding settings. I would put a port range for 2300-2400 however the Telstra modem doesn't actually support port ranges. Obviously the best ISP in Australia /s.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with port forwarding with a Telstra router (Technicolor TG800vac) ? I can't find much in terms of other forums or anything like that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Telstra is my ISP too, but I don't use their gear.

Happy to PM you copies of config screenshots from my Router to see if they help and then talk you through it.

Can you also confirm that you have set up your PC to have a static IP address? Your port forwarding may well be correct but if your IP address keeps changing it maybe forwarding the traffic to the wrong address.

Lastly can you confirm that you want to Host SB sessions?

Port forwarding is only required for you to host. If you are happy to be a client (join a session hosted by someone else), you can skip all of this.

Lastly, shameless plug(s): https://www.bganzac.org/

Edited by Gibsonm

7 minutes ago, FiachTiogair said:

Hello, does anyone have experience with port forwarding with Telstra? I've tried countless variations of the port forwarding and nothing works. canyouseeme.com can't see my ports, friends cannot connect to me etc.

1a1c04daa1.png

Here is a picture of my current port forwarding settings. I would put a port range for 2300-2400 however the Telstra modem doesn't actually support port ranges. Obviously the best ISP in Australia /s.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with port forwarding with a Telstra router (Technicolor TG800vac) ? I can't find much in terms of other forums or anything like that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

It's wrong. If you come on Teamspeak I can help you.

Would you be able to tell me here why it's wrong? I might not have time to join up on TS :\

Also I don't have a static IP address but I've added the rules today without a restart to my router. I'd really prefer to not have to ring up Telstra again to try and get a static IP set up. Last time I did they were too incompetent to actually do it, and since I'm on NBN, the option to add it through the account isn't present.

And yes I know I am doing this because I am trying to host.

Edited by FiachTiogair

Rotareneg you are a legend. That actually worked, for the first time in my Steel Beasts ownership I've gotten it to work. Thanks heaps man.

*It also may have been due to me going into options > network and setting it from All Available to just IPv4, either way thanks everyone for the help. :)

Edited by FiachTiogair

3 hours ago, FiachTiogair said:

Also I don't have a static IP address but I've added the rules today without a restart to my router. I'd really prefer to not have to ring up Telstra again to try and get a static IP set up. Last time I did they were too incompetent to actually do it, and since I'm on NBN, the option to add it through the account isn't present.

Restarting the Router doesn't matter.

Its restarting your Computer that matters.

I'm not talking about a static IP on the WAN side (Telstra). I'm talking about a static IP on the internal side (your LAN) for your Computer. Which is why I asked (I've emboldened the "PC" bit):

3 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Can you also confirm that you have set up your PC to have a static IP address?

If your Router is providing DHCP and allocating IP addresses as required its is just pot luck / a function of the DHCP lease time out whether your computer gets the same address every time.

For example:

Your PC might be currently allocated 10.0.0.2 and you set all your forwarding up to go to 10.0.0.2.

You may restart the computer for some reason and your router may give the computer 10.0.0.3, in which case all your port forwarding is "broken" as the traffic is being forwarded to 10.0.0.2.

If you give its a static IP address of say 10.0.0.5 and set the forwarding up to go to 10.0.0.5 it will always forward to 10.0.0.5. One less thing to fault find down the track.

Edited by Gibsonm

Yes I understand static IPs, and I know a PC get served a new IP every time it restarts, and not the router. My PC has used 10.0.0.76 since I've set up my internet, so regardless of if I have a Static IP actually set or not, it's yet to change, so it's a non-issue for now.

• 4 years later...