CS 5 LZ Alamo

ShotMagnet

The next Counterstroke mission, to have been played this coming Saturday (18 Oct 08) at 1900 (0300 19 Oct 08 GMT) is hereby delayed one week to 1900 25 Oct 08 (0300 26 Oct 08).

9erRed is experiencing technical difficulties, and I have a birthday dinner on the 18th which requires both my presence and attention.

Shot

The missions are 'open to the public' insofar as it's up to the respective commanders of each side to give the nod to those who show up on game-day with a desire to play. I have yet to see then turn anyone down; so we're clear.

There's been no small success with this approach. Ryujin has proved invaluable to the WP cause, and Trackpad has put in some good work for NATO.

If you're looking for some standard-of-conduct benchmark, it falls mostly to the question of whether or not you can play well with others. If you can do that, you'll do fine.

Regarding AARs, the aftermaths of all the fights so far fought are appended to the various CS threads. A search using 'CS' as the search-term should get you something useful. Searching using 'CS...' and a numerical suffix should get you more of what you're maybe looking for. If neither works, contact me and I'll give you the straight-up low-down regarding how each side has been doing, and as well a vague idea of what might happen next.

Shot

The files are pretty large, averaging something around 30 megs per AAR. I'd be more than happy to send them along or post them here, but there are file-size limits inherent in either case.

If your e-mail provider is sufficiently robust, I could send them to you that way.

Shot

I can host them here, I just dont upload them because there didnt seem to be any interest...

Well, I for one would love to download them. I'd say that at least 25% of the enjoyment I derive from this sim is poring over the AARs and analyzing the situation and enemy positions and so forth.

For example, I spent at least an hour looking over last friday's TGIF AAR. It's nice to see what the others were doing, and for example how my one kill (weep) at least saved one or two tanks from flank shots at point blank range (or how I could tell my target probably had a working gun, since the Leo in question had been reloading previously).

Point is, please do upload them. I may not be able to make it for the CS missions, but at least I can be a spectator. :)

Thank you.

Itkovian

CS 5 was played last night, to hooplahs and cheering from the WP side of the matter as WP took the objective marked as LZ Alamo away from NATO, then held it solidly as NATO attempted to counterattack and retake the landing zone.

One of the gratifiying aspects of building a mission for a campaign is ginning up an idea of what you want to see happen, then engineering the matter to make things happen that way.

That this mission did, in spades, as WP sought out and combatted NATO amongst the trees, never certain regarding who would pop up where, or with what.

NATO fought hard, and forced themselves into the LZ at least twice. NATO also bled 334th GTD pretty damned-well, but moral superiority and an unshakable faith in the will of the workers, carried the day for the proponents of dialectical materialism and their willing victims -er- martyrs -no, wait- heroic volunteers for the Soviet cause.

NATO fought past some bad ground to give serious threat to the issue, helped along when PS-SCUD chose at the worst possible time to drop. Yours truly butchered some capitalist Ayn Rand-lovers and was doing his best (which is to say 'not very well') at whipping capitalist ass. He succeeded, at great cost. No worries, as 'Grampa Joe' says; 'For an omelette, you break eggs'.

Okay, Lenin said that, but you get my point.

Thanks to all who showed up. We had a great turn out for this one, there was lots of death and destruction, there were lots of tense moments for both sides, and lots of fun was had by at least some of us.

CS 6 will happen (barring recalcitrant software, illness, etc) two weeks from yesterday. That would be 1900 8 Nov 08 (0300 09 Nov 08 GMT).

See you then.

Shot