"Tanks" Scenario

Tango29

Hi,

I've been trying the Tanks scenario, as it is recommended as a good one for training in the Anti-Frustration Kit write-up. So far, my record is, in a word, abyssmal. I've tried ambushes, hide in the woods, turn off engines and listen, and other assorted sneakiness. The most kills I've made was two: thereafter, one or more of the remaining seven or eight nail me almost immediately. Seems as if you have to go out and hunt the enemy, but when you do you're picked up and targeted quite quickly. Other than adopting a technique of not standing still for more than five seconds or so regardless of how easy the target, or laying back and REALLY being patient, I'm at a bit of a loss to come up with more effective methods. Any hints/tips gratefully received. Thx.

Cheers

You gotta go hunting for them. Find several spots from which you can observe terrain in a turret down position. Move between those spots. Hint: The best spots are near the map edges, that way you know your back is clear and don't need to worry about it. Before moving make sure that your route is clear. Try to move along avenues where you're covered from observation. Learning how to find and move along covered routes is one of the primary things that this scenario is good at teaching.

I've been playing this a lot lately, too. I play from the TC position of the Leopard 2A5 ... trying to develop some skills there.

I've nailed all of the enemy tanks one (1) time. I usually manage to get 5 or 6.

I start by taking up a position on the ridgeline immediately to the WNW of the starting patch of woods. (By the way, I don't start in the woods. I start in the clearing just south of the woods and circle around them to the left to the aforementioned high ground.) From this point you'll be presented with a target-rich environment. If you take up a good hull-down position, though, you should be able to nail at least 3 or 4 bad guys to your front and right. That'll even the odds a little bit before the randomness of the Red routes starts crossing you up.

I then begin circling around the backs of the ridgelines in a clockwise pattern, using the ridges for cover. Pop up at a good hull-down spot every now and a gain and wait & watch.

• 1 month later...

A good scenario for getting frustrated and stressed. This is the one that taught me to get out of the map and really use the 3d environment - a hard habit to break, but well worth it. It also got me into driving the vehicle on my own, a skill that ostensibly seems like a nuisance but in fact becomes incredibly useful when you really start to interact with the terrain features.

You start in quite a tough position, in that at least three red tanks are pointed in your direction at varying distances; over in the NW it's particularly nasty as there's usually three in the same sector that provide overwatch on each other - hit one and the others will usually give you a kicking.

Another issue is ammo (if your gunnery is as modest as mine!) - if you find a wood and drive into it, switch off your engine and you can usually reload with no bother at all, as long as there isn't a T-80 with TIS about; T-72's typically will not see you, even if they're at the edge of the wood.

This isn't a scenario that you try to beat. It's one that you learn from every time it beats you.

Every time I've played I've had my backside served with roasted potatoes and a nice red wine reduction, but every time I've played it I've played the next few missions (against real people) so much better.

There's something to be said as well for learning what you're good at. SB:G taught me that I'm no good with tanks, -ProPE has reinforced that point by letting me try my hand at (and become somewhat more proficient with) crewing PCs. I remain sucktastic with heavy armor, by the by.

Shot

I'm about 50-50 with this scn... half the time I get nailed by a long range shot to the turret front/gun/roof which either kills me or renders me incapable of winning, the rest I get a series of nice ambushes and 1-2 round kills. Definately a bit easier in the Beta than in 2.328 though... you can actually get flank/rear shots much more often.

Look for good terrain around the edges of the map. It keeps the bad guys from shooting you from the rear. Dont stay siloueted on hilltops for too long get a look around then back down, wait and take another look. Dont linger where youve killed. move on. hope this helps.

Mog