A true "Leoclerc"... and you might be surprised what KNDS made. :P

Damian90

So what is a true "Leoclerc" made by KNDS... well it's most likely... a Leclerc turret placed on Leopard 2 chassis... yeah. :P

1208229_800.jpg

Notice that the gun is Leclerc CN120-26/L52 120mm smoothbore gun, turret profile looks similiar but, the chassis is different, lower front plate looks similiar to Leopard 2 and have 7 road wheels instead of 6.

4 hours ago, lavictoireestlavie said:

Now they should mate a Leopard 2A7 turret on a Leclerc Serie XXI hull !!!!!  Do it !

EMBT is ugly design I must say, simply turret and hull do not fit well.

I trully do not understand why wasting your own money for such thing that probably nobody will purchase.

Unless, unless KNDS have real problems with the next gen MBT project, and not everything is so great about it.

11 minutes ago, Damian90 said:

EMBT is ugly design I must say, simply turret and hull do not fit well.

I trully do not understand why wasting your own money for such thing that probably nobody will purchase.

Unless, unless KNDS have real problems with the next gen MBT project, and not everything is so great about it.

I Would speculate.

Its about Germany's strict export policy for military products.

Back in the early 1990 there was a prototype tank built mating a CR-1 hull with a leo-2 hull.

No buyers were found. i think it was targeted at the middle eastern market.

• Members
4 hours ago, Damian90 said:

Here's my take,

1. They needed "something" to show to generate buzz in the press, so they built "something" - and it generates buzz in the press, mission accomplished.
  2. They need to demonstrate the merger, so the "something" to demonstrate merges things (even if they don't belong together), mission accomplished.
  3. Krauss-Maffei has always been mostly an automotive company, speaking from a corporate culture perspective. Turrets were designed and manufactured by Wegmann. And while the "merger" of K-M and W was actually more of an acquisition of K-M by W, Wegmann conceded that K-M would keep the HQ and be listed first, so the old K-M network does what K-M guys do - ditch the turret and keep the chassis.
  4. Spot on WRT the export control issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Another video showing some good footage of the EMBT.

I wonder would they sell me one on a installment plan

kidding aside.

I know in the scheme of things looks don't mean shit its capability's that mater 

But its a mean looking Tank.

Edited by Marko

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

...until an ATGM slams into the hull ammo stowage...

I would be more worried about poorly armored turret of the Leclerc with it's huge weak zones in frontal projection. Leopard 2A7 hull, despite obvious weakness in form of ammo storage, have relatively good frontal protection.

• 2 months later...
On 21.06.2018 at 7:41 PM, Marko said:

True.

But there is not a tank on the market that does not have a weakness somewhere on its platform.

It's a question how big that weakness is.

I was inside several MBT's. Currently, the only one I would go in to battle? M1 series, eventually Merkava Mk4.