Winter / snow - A topic with which I'm not familiar

Gibsonm

Another thing (perhaps for the wish list) is to include the name of the current theme somewhere.

Its not listed in "Map Info" and the Theme menu doesn't provide the information either.

Perhaps if you opened the Edit option the name of the current theme could be in the Dialogue box (so you knew what you were editing)?

Or perhaps Save as could offer the current theme's name as opposed to populating it with whatever theme is at the top of the list? This would also prevent someone overwriting "29 Palms" (at the top of my list) with some variation on "Realistic deep snow" theme. :)

It may have been decided to not make changes here given the likely upgrade / replacement to terrain, but at the moment it seems to be a lot of guesswork and scribbling notes on paper involved.

Edited by Gibsonm

7 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Can you tell me what you adjusted it to?

Actual values / Numbers would help. :)

Sure. I set Drag at 0.20 and Traction at 0.60 for all "Is Snow" terrain types in the theme. That made a Humvee perform similarly to my own (limited) experience 4-wheeling in deep snow.

I did notice that tracked vehicles, oddly, are slowed more than wheeled vehicles with that setting. And the settings appear to have no effect on roads, so even snow-covered lanes seem to offer the same speed/traction as dry. That's not realistic.

For my test I mirrored the traction and drag settings for "(wet)" but think some tweaking may be in order to simulate muddy vs. solid or frozen ground. Same goes for Hardness. (I wasn't sure when/how the sim calls on the "wet" setting -- probably via the "Ground Saturation" checkbox in the Weather dialog ... but that's a percentage as well.) 

Bumpiness, per Ssnake's recommendation, I lowered to near zero for snow (except in woods, where I kept it high).

I've attached what I did, if you'd like it as a reference or a starting point.

Realism_Winter_(snow-heavy)_REV.thm

Thanks.

I think I'll call it "Realism_Winter_(snow-heavy)_RT19.thm" so I know what it relates to.

Having the numbers will help me confirm that its actually applied too.

Of course I now need to check the weather for that region in Feb 1991 - hopefully the forecast included snow. ;)

Edited by Gibsonm

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2018 at 8:25 AM, Ssnake said:

Yeah, but I can see the effects in the development version. So we have the choice to reduce the effect of bumpiness and thus limit what we can do visually, or to go to the full extent of what the render engine can do and then live with scenarios that are visually inconsistent. I'm leaning towards the latter. At least there's a clearly visible cue now that something must be done (and it's obvious that it's bumpiness related).

It's similar BTW with maps that aren't properly georeferenced. SB now applies a default coordinate (R'lyeh) which is as far off from human civilization as we could find on this planet, so that hopefully the odd time zone and the southern night sky are a clear indicator that something is off (except for Kiwis, Aussies, and those in southern Africa and South America where the only cue is the -9hr time zone)

any chance of seeing masses of cultists calling the great old one back to consume us all?