Gunner controllers

japetus

On 4/21/2022 at 2:48 PM, DanTDBV said:

If anyone want's it, here is the best of my first tries at Photo scanning a Danish Leopard 1A5DK Gunner's grip. 

I made a mistake and used a white background for the pictures, thus making it more difficult for Metashape to do it's magic. 

It is rough, but can still be used as a base for grip stl files. One is really what is needed as it is mirrored on the other side. 

Since it will be a long while before I can rephoto the grip, I have decided to upload the blend file to Sketchfab.

1226038471_Leopard1A5DKGunnerGripScan.png.ff86f312eca42db29b95c6496ab799cf.png

It can be downloaded here:

https://skfb.ly/o9FNP

Happy Simming

how much will it cost me to get one?

• 1 year later...
On 6/15/2019 at 9:16 AM, hawes said:

Yes, these are hydraulic controls and are actually from a Marder, not a Leopard. We have a set in our 'Control Handle Museum' 😊 

The same ebay seller has a set of control handles from a Leopard 1A5 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TANK-LEOPARD-COTROLLER-STICK-HANDLE-CONTROL-HYDRAULIC-BUNDESWEHR-BW-GERMAN-ARMY/173552667258?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20190129125700%26meid%3D38f8128c774c45f390fcbf5266e578a8%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D172976831998%26itm%3D173552667258&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

These are much easier to convert to a USB device for Steel Beasts as they use standard potentiometers and switches. We've converted a few of these ourselves.

Quite a late reply, but I still have a gunner control handle from a 1A5, I'm quite interested if you still have some info about that conversion :)
From what I understand we can "just" re wire the former pot and switches to an USB control card?

thanks for any support 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2023 at 12:08 PM, Fuchs_Leo1_TC said:

Quite a late reply, but I still have a gunner control handle from a 1A5, I'm quite interested if you still have some info about that conversion :)
From what I understand we can "just" re wire the former pot and switches to an USB control card?

thanks for any support 

Yes, re wire to a USB card. I'd recommend BU0836A 12-bit joystick interface from Leo Bodnar.

https://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=204&zenid=d7965b9ed66f29bbcea9b9a321706cbd

IIRC, the original equipment contained a large circuit board which we completely removed. This made it easier to trace the wires back to the switches and pots.

On 7/28/2018 at 3:51 PM, japetus said:

Back at the '80s, there used to be an arcade game/cabin called Star Wars, which featured a unique control, known as the Star Wars yoke, which resembles pretty much a gunners control. Well, sort of, a few keys are missing..

xxx-swyokefinal01-xxx.jpg?w=800

Unfortunately, the particular controller has not become popular with other games, so original items like this are quite rare (and expensive) and third party copies not available.

Several individuals have tried since then to replicate such a controller, many with quite a success, in order to make a usb controller to be used in custom gaming computers. There's even a 3d sketch for it available, which with some edit for more buttons, palm switch etc., could be used to serve the needs of the gunner position in SB..

Check out the sketches here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=133656.0

Well I was just playing on this (original Atari Star Wars arcade - with vector graphics - quite a sight even today) about 2 hours ago.... thing is we have this retro arcade just 2 clicks away from us with lots of machines and I used to go there regularly with my son. Whenever I'm there it always crosses my mind just to rip this handle off and make a run for it... I myself am collecting arcade machines as well & stuff (unfortunately I don't have this machine only Mortal Kombat series)

Btw this hande feels really good with the game (SW) & I guess would suit SB just as well

flipper_muzeum_savoya_park_2.jpg

3 hours ago, ripper253 said:

The 3rd party USB controller market is expanding with more affordable options. You can still DIY with army surplus controllers or 3D print your own using .stl files.

Sure, but they are only good for one position.

A M1 Gunner's handle can't be used in the Commander's position, or a M1 Gunner's handle can't be used as a Challenger 2 Gunner's handle, etc.

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2023 at 4:31 AM, Gibsonm said:

Sure, but they are only good for one position.

A M1 Gunner's handle can't be used in the Commander's position, or a M1 Gunner's handle can't be used as a Challenger 2 Gunner's handle, etc.

Yes you can, as long as you stick to the basic config. Thumb switch to lase, right index finger to fire, plus palm switch to activate the handle. you can also reconfigure the button settings for soviet handle or you get a "lase/boom". For M1 commander you can use the regular joystick.  For challenger2 gunner handle, you can use a realflight interlink controller. One thing i hate with these different button configs, you lose some muscle memory when switching to different handle config like western to soviet tanks. One thing for sure, immersion is great, no mouse on a tank!

14 hours ago, Toxzic said:

Yes you can, as long as you stick to the basic config. Thumb switch to lase, right index finger to fire, plus palm switch to activate the handle. you can also reconfigure the button settings for soviet handle or you get a "lase/boom". For M1 commander you can use the regular joystick.  For challenger2 gunner handle, you can use a realflight interlink controller. One thing i hate with these different button configs, you lose some muscle memory when switching to different handle config like western to soviet tanks. One thing for sure, immersion is great, no mouse on a tank!

You talk about immersion and then you want to use a Gunner's handle at a Commander's position.

This:

M1-Newer-Commander-Tank-Grip-web-002.jpg.14b7662ef5efbd3310d86c21940eacd5.jpg

Is not this:

M1-Gunner-Grip-web-003.jpg.a2f24ba71be3a5da51f08409875d1e85.jpg

Especially when you are trying to teach "muscle memory".

Edited by Gibsonm

I use a Leclerc TC/gunner replica for most (all excep remote weapons) AFV.

I have use them for 11 years in active unit  so I'm confortable with them, even if it's not what can been found in real M1, Leo or CV

20240113_081355.jpg

Edited by Froggy

• 2 weeks later...

I babysitted nuke missiles, when we locked up the launch station it was with a Master lock that you can buy from the hardware store / home improvement store. 

Edited by JLS02

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well this is still an issue, isn't it!

To cut a long story short, I have started designing my own gunner's control handles, based on the all too well known and generally liked LEO 1A5. Twin handles with palm-switch, trigger, LASER and E-1000 buttons and of course dynamic lead.

I hope to be able to 3D print them and use NOTHING but regular materials, such as tact switches etc.

If anybody is interested, I will probably get back on that with more details.

It is a quite complex project nonetheless!

14 hours ago, Ssnake said:

You know that you can get a kit with all switches & electronics plus 3D print files for the handles from AFV Sim, right?

I really didn't know that!!! But it would definitely save me a lot of time! Do you have any idea as to a rough cost for it?