Jump to content
japetus

Gunner controllers

Recommended Posts

on a Bradley, the drivers hatch and the back door are locked with a padlock.   the commanders and gunners hatches cannot be opened from the outside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RENEGADE-623 said:

on a Bradley, the drivers hatch and the back door are locked with a padlock.   the commanders and gunners hatches cannot be opened from the outside. 

that must be a fortress then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still came across this thread, since I also wanted to build a gunner control handle.  As I looked at the photos of them, I remembered the old CH Products Virtual Pilot Pro. Ok it is far away from an exact replica, but with some modding (additional buttons, rework some of the shapes) and a conversion to USB it could be a nice gunner handle.

 

I also own a 3D Printer (Creality Ender 3 Pro - cheap but really good), so some new Parts could be also made. I think this is a nice part to start with. I will search for a used one at ebay. There is no need that the yoke is working, only the body and the mechanics must be intact, the rest will be replaced with new electronics. I also did this with all of my HOTAS replicas for my homepit.

 

 

CH Virtual Pilot Pro.jpg

Edited by Viper1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Galileo said:

There is some control handles on ebay.

You just have to figure the connections.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TANK-LEOPARD-FIRING-GUN-COTROLLER-GUNNERS-STICK-HANDLE-CONTROL-HYDRAULIC-REXROTH-/172976831998

 

Note the word "Hydraulic" in the description!

 

You need to convert a device based on a hydraulic mechanism into one that uses electrical impulses.

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

There is some control handles on ebay.

You just have to figure the connections.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TANK-LEOPARD-FIRING-GUN-COTROLLER-GUNNERS-STICK-HANDLE-CONTROL-HYDRAULIC-REXROTH-/172976831998

 

Yes, these are hydraulic controls and are actually from a Marder, not a Leopard. We have a set in our 'Control Handle Museum' 😊 

 

The same ebay seller has a set of control handles from a Leopard 1A5 

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TANK-LEOPARD-COTROLLER-STICK-HANDLE-CONTROL-HYDRAULIC-BUNDESWEHR-BW-GERMAN-ARMY/173552667258?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20190129125700%26meid%3D38f8128c774c45f390fcbf5266e578a8%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D172976831998%26itm%3D173552667258&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

 

These are much easier to convert to a USB device for Steel Beasts as they use standard potentiometers and switches. We've converted a few of these ourselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hawes said:

 

Yes, these are hydraulic controls and are actually from a Marder, not a Leopard. We have a set in our 'Control Handle Museum' 😊 

 

The same ebay seller has a set of control handles from a Leopard 1A5 

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TANK-LEOPARD-COTROLLER-STICK-HANDLE-CONTROL-HYDRAULIC-BUNDESWEHR-BW-GERMAN-ARMY/173552667258?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20190129125700%26meid%3D38f8128c774c45f390fcbf5266e578a8%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D172976831998%26itm%3D173552667258&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

 

These are much easier to convert to a USB device for Steel Beasts as they use standard potentiometers and switches. We've converted a few of these ourselves.

Spot on! When someone tries to sell you a Marder gunners set as a Leopadr1's...it gets hard to trust them 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to keep things cost-efficient, that's the reason I thought about converting an old flight yoke to a gunner control.

 

I also could do that thing from scratch, but the dimensions of the handle are to big for my 3D printer to make it relatively solid. I have to split it in more seperate parts, which makes the thing more complex and harder to built. The mechanics are also much more durable, if you use a factory built control.

 

So I thought about getting an old yoke which has a likewise shape and only change some things or add some printed parts and buttons to it, to make a "universal" gunner control, no exact replica. I think even a not exact replica of the control would improve the immersion to sit in a real tank much more.

Edited by Viper1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...