why Leopard barrel elevates after shooting?

ahh.. makes sense. So because the round is heavy then the outer straw lifts while the inner straw depresses to facilitate loading. That is genius! Can gunner override it so the barrel does not elevate? I feel like the round will overshoot when I see videos. Maybe the FCS accounts for a fraction of a second for the round to exit the tube?

How heavier compared to the M1A1 round is the Leopard round?

The M1A1/A2 could do the same if needed. The loader would switch his panel to Elevation Uncouple which would elevate the Gun offset from the sight. The main use for this would be when firing down at a angle. The Breech would need to be lowered to load another round.

Edited by Assassin 7

6 hours ago, Colebrook said:

Is the difference in reloading times when the gun moves up and when doesn't modeled in SB?. I never noticed a difference.

Actually would be a bit slower than without moving Gun. The loader from my understanding has to hit a button after another round is loaded allowing the Main Gun to come back to the same LOS as the Gunner’s sight.

• Members

..only in the M1; in the Leopard, as soon as the breech block closes the signal is given to the stabilization system to move the gun back to fefault (=firing) position; once that the loader presses the button to arm the gun (...and the gun has arrived in its correct position), the gunner's trigger is hot again.

14 hours ago, Ssnake said:

..only in the M1; in the Leopard, as soon as the breech block closes the signal is given to the stabilization system to move the gun back to fefault (=firing) position; once that the loader presses the button to arm the gun (...and the gun has arrived in its correct position), the gunner's trigger is hot again.

Interesting,

the video here shows different I would think.Not sure but it looks like the gun goes back to the gunners LOS after the button is pressed.

15 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Actually, that is a bit incorrect. Once the breech block is closed and the round it loaded, the Loader must hit the ARM button to bring the barrel in-line with the sight mirror and then the triggers for the gunner will fire. The ARM switch completes the primary firing circuit.

4 minutes ago, Gunslinger668 said:

Actually, that is a bit incorrect. Once the breech block is closed and the round it loaded, the Loader must hit the ARM button to bring the barrel in-line with the sight mirror and then the triggers for the gunner will fire. The ARM switch completes the primary firing circuit.

So the gun fires, the FCS then safes the Gun while elevating the gun at the same time which would be Elevation uncouple. Then a firing inhibit is active not allowing the gunners triggers to work. When the round is loaded the breech block goes back up and then the loader hits the arm button to put the gun back to the same Los as the gunners sight, when they are aligned the inhibit is no longer active. Is this correct?

Just now, Assassin 7 said:

So the gun fires, the FCS then safes the Gun while elevating the gun at the same time which would be Elevation uncouple. Then a firing inhibit is active not allowing the gunners triggers to work. When the round is loaded the breech block goes back up and then the loader hits the arm button to put the gun back to the same Los as the gunners sight, when they are aligned the inhibit is no longer active. Is this correct?

Exactly right. The only way to fire from the load position with a round loaded is to use the Emergency firing circuit, which bypasses the Safe mode of the gun.

Ohhhh

The loading Position was made to protekt the Loader and much more the Cartridge while shooting from the move.

In Leopard 1 you have Brass Cartridges and the Ready Rack is left of the Breech.

In Leopard 2 you have the Ready Rack in the Back of the Turret and the Cartridge is from "Paperworks".

The likelihood of damaging the Cartridge while loading it when Stab is working while Tank is moving over rough Terain is very high !

So a System was made that brings the Breech to a stable Position.

The Loader can (I think even german Tank Crews don´t know that) elivate the Breech Position with a Potentiometer (is this right in english?) to his best Loading Position.

It is not nessesary to have the Gun to a 30° Position as you can often see in Youtube Vid´s.

When the Gun is fired and the Breech is back in its front Position the FCS send the Signal for Loading Position, Loader grab the next Roud, load and have to presse "Save" or "Fire", then FCS send Signal and the Gun goes back to Firing Position.

This works only when Main Gun is activated and STAB is on.

If Loading Position is activ you can´t fire the Gun

I´m not 100% sure, but I think you can switch "Loading Position" off.....

In the Pic you can see the Loader Control Unit, the Potentiomter (Ladestellung) and the Control Lamp "Ladestellung".

LS_Bediengerät.jpg

Edited by Eisenschwein

1 hour ago, Eisenschwein said:

Ohhhh

The loading Position was made to protekt the Loader and much more the Cartridge while shooting from the move.

In Leopard 1 you have Brass Cartridges and the Ready Rack is left of the Breech.

In Leopard 2 you have the Ready Rack in the Back of the Turret and the Cartridge is from "Paperworks".

The likelihood of damaging the Cartridge while loading it when Stab is working while Tank is moving over rough Terain is very high !

So a System was made that brings the Breech to a stable Position.

The Loader can (I think even german Tank Crews don´t know that) elivate the Breech Position with a Potentiometer (is this right in english?) to his best Loading Position.

It is not nessesary to have the Gun to a 30° Position as you can often see in Youtube Vid´s.

When the Gun is fired and the Breech is back in its front Position the FCS send the Signal for Loading Position, Loader grab the next Roud, load and have to presse "Save" or "Fire", then FCS send Signal and the Gun goes back to Firing Position.

This works only when Main Gun is activated and STAB is on.

If Loading Position is activ you can´t fire the Gun

I´m not 100% sure, but I think you can switch "Loading Position" off.....

In the Pic you can see the Loader Control Unit, the Potentiomter (Ladestellung) and the Control Lamp "Ladestellung".

LS_Bediengerät.jpg

What is the “Save” button used for then? Is it like a safe button? Can you fire in this mode? Also I find having a Potentiometer to adjust the Gun’s elevation position pretty cool. I wonder if this can actually adjust the Gun Trunnion Resolver if it is out of calibration? On the Abrams it is a pain and long process to adjust it.

Save is Save, you only can Fire the Gun in the Emergency Mode (Gunner must switch it on).

That is up to a mix of Safty Issues and german Doktrine. First you learn as a Loader: Load and press Save, Unsave when the Gunner is ready to Fire.

No, you can´t use this Poti for calibration FCS Data. It´s more the other Way, the Trunnion Resolver gives Data Gun out of LOS to FCS and will respond "No coinsident".

5 hours ago, Eisenschwein said:

Save is Save, you only can Fire the Gun in the Emergency Mode (Gunner must switch it on).

That is up to a mix of Safty Issues and german Doktrine. First you learn as a Loader: Load and press Save, Unsave when the Gunner is ready to Fire.

No, you can´t use this Poti for calibration FCS Data. It´s more the other Way, the Trunnion Resolver gives Data Gun out of LOS to FCS and will respond "No coinsident".

OK thanks. Yes, you are correct about the GTR, but if you cannot adjust your Reticle far enough to the boresight point ( reached the max limits of adjustment in elevation). Then you would have to re calibrate the GTR, which would require making the calibration off of the GTR itself. On the Abrams the Coax mount, Rotor Bearing covers and GAS sight has to be removed for this process.

Edited by Assassin 7