Ulan FCS question

ChrisWerb

Hi, I have been playing the Ulan for a while on the shooting range and can't get the FCS to apply lead consistently. I keep trying different things out and whatever I do, about one time in four, no lead is applied. What is the correct procedure to get the Ulan to apply lead every time? Many thanks. Chris.

PS: I did a search before asking, and lots of interesting stuff on your implementation of the Ulan came up, just not this. 

When you lase the target by quickly pressing and releasing the lase button, the ballistic computer will not calculate lead. In order to calculate lead, the gunner should get a good track on the target, then press and hold the lase button for about 2 seconds, then release lase. Once that is done, lead will be automatically induced and the gunner can engage the target.

Dumping Lead:

Unlike some other vehicles, the Ulan does not dump lead from the ballistic computer in the usual way of releasing palm switches. Instead lead is dumped when the control handles are centered and a new range is entered into the ballistic computer, either via another lase or manual range input. In the case of entering a new range via lasing, the lase button must be held for at least one second to dump lead, otherwise the new lase is simply adjusting the range on the previous lead calculation.

In other words, to dump lead in order to engage a stationary target after you just engaged a moving target then you should traverse the turret and place the reticle on the stationary target, stop moving the turret (center the control handles), hold lase button for at least a second, and engage.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Ulan#Lead

I did notice the first shot fired with the Ulan won't have lead applied even if you hold lase while tracking; You have to lase, release, and then hold lase while tracking and release to get lead working for that first shot. That might well be a bug, or possibly a quirk of the Ulan FCS.

16 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

I did notice the first shot fired with the Ulan won't have lead applied even if you hold lase while tracking; You have to lase, release, and then hold lase while tracking and release to get lead working for that first shot. That might well be a bug, or possibly a quirk of the Ulan FCS.

That's what I experienced. It had me scratching my head thinking I'd done something wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'll have to recheck with the operators but IIRC the Ulan has a 'locked lead' implementation, which means you need to hold down the combined lase/lead button, track the target for a while (>1s), then release the button (at which point the laser fires, if it's enabled), then the lead is 'locked in', the gun sviewels to apply lead/se, the sight mirror counteracts (so that the sight picture actually remains on target - this little 'back and forth' motion could be better simulated in SB I guess), and the gunner is free to fire (without the need to have the lase/lead button pressed).