T55 commanders sight. TKN-1

hoggydog

• Members

Every binocular has two eypieces, yet when you look through them you see a single circular field of view. The magic of optics.

Most Hollywood movies and many games show two partially overlapping circles to better fit the wide screen. The magic of entertainment to suspend disbelief.

• Members

Ah, the 3D artwork. I suppose in our desire to make the T-55 playable we may have taken a shortcut. But maybe there's a deeper truth behind it; I'm just not qualified to answer this. If you lose sleep over this, I'll alert the 3D modellers for their explanation.

Sorry Ssnake, i got home and did a little more research..

The sight modeled in SB is the TPKU-1 and it looks pretty good,(three cheers for the modelers!)

however in reality it has no night channel itself so for night-ops it is switched out for the monocular TKN-1. Obviously this physical swap out of sights is not modeled in SB, nor would i expect it to be.

The wiki uses both terms, This is what confused me and i was looking for clarification of what sight was actually fitted to a T-55 and what it looked like after pondering buying a piece of possibly useless Tank tat on fleabay.

I guess this is the minefield of looking for info on old Warsaw Pact gear.

3 hours ago, hoggydog said:

Sorry Ssnake, i got home and did a little more research..

The sight modeled in SB is the TPKU-1 and it looks pretty good,(three cheers for the modelers!)

however in reality it has no night channel itself so for night-ops it is switched out for the monocular TKN-1. Obviously this physical swap out of sights is not modeled in SB, nor would i expect it to be.

The wiki uses both terms...

Fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 5:42 AM, Ssnake said:

Ah, the 3D artwork. I suppose in our desire to make the T-55 playable we may have taken a shortcut. But maybe there's a deeper truth behind it; I'm just not qualified to answer this. If you lose sleep over this, I'll alert the 3D modellers for their explanation.

Not only will I never lose sleep over a minor 3D shortcut like that, but I'll even give you money for it, if it means another playable vehicle.

Like a crewable M1 TTB, etc

Right, slight update.

I am now the proud owner of one TPKU-2B Commanders periscope, removed from a T-55 in 1994 during the Yugoslav conflict.

This is the most common commanders periscope found in T-54/55 Tanks.

Unlike later sights like the TKN-2/3 it is true binocular but has no night or infrared capability. For night ops it would be removed and replaced with a TKN-1 monocular night sight.

The only difference I can see in the real sight and the one in SB is that the ranging scale goes up in distance from right to left and takes up almost the full width of the viewing area.

Contrary to the description on the Tankograd blog, it is fixed at x5 magnification, there is no x1 option at all.

I believe the same sight was used in the BRDM-2, PT-76 & BTR-60

3 hours ago, hoggydog said:

I believe the same sight was used in the BRDM-2, PT-76 & BTR-60

-Thats right. And it was never replaced with something newer(e.g. TKN-3) before collapse of the Soviet Union.

Contrary to the description on the Tankograd blog, it is fixed at x5 magnification, there is no x1 option at all.

-TPKU- have only magnifying optics, but it`s predecessor TPK-1 have unity window. People usually do not see  much difference between those 2 devices.

Edited by Jartsev

10 hours ago, Jartsev said:

-Thats right. And it was never replaced with something newer(e.g. TKN-3) before collapse of the Soviet Union.

-TPKU- have only magnifying optics, but it`s predecessor TPK-1 have unity window. People usually do not see  much difference between those 2 devices.

Thanks for the clarification Jartsev. 

Would you know what TPKU (Or ТПКУ) Stands for?

6 hours ago, hoggydog said:

Would you know what TPKU (Or ТПКУ) Stands for?

If I`m not mistaken it is  "Танковый перископ командира, укороченный"- e.g. "Tank periscope, commander`s, shortened."

Edited by Jartsev