Steel Beasts "Summer Camp"

Gibsonm

The festive season for most of us provides a period of leave and perhaps higher availability to participate in Steel Beasts sessions than perhaps the other parts of the year.

This combined with several people telling me about their "performance anxiety" ("I don't want to do multi player as I don't think I'm good enough", etc.) has led BG ANZAC to offer some Tutorial / Training sessions over the Christmas / New Year period.

Please note that the emphasis is on learning with only fairly simple confirmatory practises planned. These are not planned to be full blown TGIF / Rolling Thunder / Kanium replacements.

Methods of Delivery:

Probably a combination of:

a. Use of TeamViewer so you can watch my screen as I cover things.

b. Simple example missions that you can join where we'll use the "pause" feature to discuss / debrief things after they happen.

Suggested Topics:

1. Basics - (F5 screen marginal information), plotting routes, applying suitable routes / tactics for the effect you want (aka don't bag the AI because it did what you told it to, not necessarily what you wanted it to :)), ad hoc groupings, getting more than one unit to use / share a common route, how to join a multi player session, how to rejoin via the "pause and resume" feature, ...

2. Intermediate - Calling artillery, obstacles (sighting and breaching / reduction), CSS (resupply / repair) ...

3. Advanced - Map marking, Mil Symbols, things for potential COs to think about (this is not meant to replace X years of professional military service / training).

The list is not exhaustive with the idea being that participants will bring their own questions to the sessions so its not just me droning on.

I also want to provide you with some PDFs and other guides / reference materials that may keep you in good stead going forward.

Dates / Times:

I'm guessing most people are busy on 24, 25, 31 DEC and 01 JAN.

Apart from that, I can be available 22 DEC - 06 JAN inclusive.

In terms of timings I don't want to force people to choose between this and say TGIF or this and say Kanium, etc.

If you are interested in the concept, please respond here with your preferred availability (please all try to use GMT timings so I can link up "like with like") and if more than say 3 people chose a common date / time I'll aim to run something then.

Remember, please get back to me with GMT formatted times.

Edited by Gibsonm

5 hours ago, Grenny said:

This time of the year is filled with travel and family visits. So I have to pass on this one..

Understood, however its also about the only time I can offer this sort of thing in a range of "European friendly" time slots, apart from maybe Easter.

In any case I'm sort of hoping you aren't the target audience. ;)

Safe travels to you and the family.

I am retired and Family will be visiting for Christmas. However, being retired, I am pretty much free but for Christmas Eve and Day. 22 DEC - 06 JAN is fine for me. I am in Toronto Canada so that is 5 hrs behind GMT. However I often stay up late so I may be able to attend as I imagine you will try to arrange timing to include the maximum amount of people.

Thank you for trying to organize this.

Nike,

Thanks, does that mean exclude the entire 24 hours? e.g. 24 December actually mean "don't schedule anything from 0000 to 2359"?

I'm currently probably looking at three sessions, each one devoted to one of the different levels outlined previously.

Edited by Gibsonm

So, like Chris, the 28th onward is good for me. 19:00 GMT (+/- 1hr?) is probably the best window to gather Conus, Eu and Au guys, but I can do earlier or later.

In terms of clashes, there are no extra-curricular festive  Kanium SB sessions planned.

DBoy

8 hours ago, dlad said:

In terms of clashes, there are no extra-curricular festive  Kanium SB sessions planned.

Apart from these:

Oh and 1900GMT turns into 0600 or 0500 for East Coast Australia, earlier the further you go West, so I'm not sure that's "the best window". ;)

In any case I intend to post some polls since very few people want to give me their preference and want me to somehow guess for them.

Edited by Gibsonm

A quick update:

As for Kanium Sunday games then I am trying to find out if we pull the plug for december after this Sunday. 

So right now it looks like either the Sunday the 30th December or Sunday 6th of January are the options in play.

And looks like we are leaning towards the latter, but will advice asap. 

No other sessions planned, and as for ADHOC´s then they are only if they dont collide with anything and people are up for them.

1 hour ago, marques said:

I don´t know yet dates in which I could be avalilable, but I´ll keep an eye to this thread and see if I can join.

The list of options are in this thread:

Please review and record your preference.

Unfortunately not many people could provide dates / times so I've had to provide the choices.

5 hours ago, CrackerJack said:

I think this is a really good idea.

Thanks.

Timing is difficult for me to say in advance.  Will it be possible for you to record your sessions and post to YouTube?

Well make a best guess and choose an option from the Poll I put up.

Will it be possible for you to record your sessions and post to YouTube?

No, I'm afraid not. As I have said elsewhere:

On 12/17/2018 at 9:06 AM, Gibsonm said:

As a serving Officer, I am not allowed to make "public comment" about topics without clearance. This is why my signature block says what it says to cover written comment.

Recorded audio on YouTube = "Public Comment", especially if I were to express a personal opinion (without knowing someone was recording). In addition recording people's voices in Australia is illegal without their permission or a Warrant.

Besides recording it will increase the workload for me - recording, editing, uploading, etc. so a one or two hour session becomes several hours of work for me.

Much easier from my point of view for you to turn up and listen / ask questions. ;)

Edited by Gibsonm

• 2 weeks later...

Yes two "graduates" so the effort was well worth it. :)

We may need to re-run this though, with the two key people swapping roles, just so that both get a full rounded experience.

As mentioned perhaps this could be used for one of the Ad Hoc sessions now that things are settling down post the holiday period.