marques

hunter/killer capability explanation

I´ve reading lately this term related with new tanks or even with new capabilities added to x versión of the Abrams. Could someone explain me what is extactly this capability?

What I´ve found in a quick search is that it means the capability for the TC of designating targets to the gunner with some kind of independent optics, such as the Leo Peri. Is this only?

By and large it's an ill-defined marketing buzzword. But yeah, the idea is that there's two independently operated sights, and that the commander can override the gunner if he spots a target, rather than talking the gunner into the target. If this minimal definition is applied, the T-72 and the Leopard 1 have "hunter-killer" capability too.

Some people say, "ah, but it must be two independently stabilized optics" so they can rule out those two examples; others say that the commander must be capable of aiming and firing the gun as well, but then there's that even sillier buzzword "killer-killer capability", by which metric even the earliest Leopard 2 and M1s are also "killer-killer" capable even though the M1's commander before the A2 version actually had no independent, stabilized sight (but he could override, aim with the sight extension, and shoot).

So, I'm using these phrases only with caution.

Thanks a lot Ssnake, you are just confirming my suspicion. If it is just that, then IMHO it´s not worth a specific term because, as you say, this is just an evolution of techniques used since many, many years. With more resources, I agree, but not new at all.