Obsession for enemy infantry

delta6

What seems to be the obsession for infantry in this sim??? In some of my scenarios I have a heavy amount of enemy infantry supported by enemy tanks and my tanks will not shoot the enemy tanks until they dispatch the infantry....There has to be a way to fix this...It is the feces to lose 1/2 of your units tanks because they would rather focus on a small threat than a real threat..

• Members

A high priority is given to flanking threats, and infantry, especially at closer ranges, often falls into that category because of their wide dispersal. Also, they are many. And infantry with potent anti-tank weapons is just as much of a threat in such a situation as is a tank in the same location. Our AI doesn't know who exactly among the infantry guys has a (potent) anti-tank weapon, nor should it know, because in reality you often don't know either.

Not saying that we have the perfect solution, but we haven't been able to come up with something substantially better that wouldn't wreck a lot of other situations as a consequence. We know that what we have is somewhat painful, but every remedy we could come up with so far made things worse in different ways.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Hedgehog said:

I'd like the TC in this scenario to consider loading HE in the main gun too, as well as using the coax.

Well that adds more complexity.

Single piece ammunition maybe, but on a CR2 or later T series with multi part ammunition it becomes complex.

Then you have the additional question of whether its easier to fire off whatever is currently loaded and then re-load the APERs round (not just HE, but Cannister, etc.) as opposed to unloading the current round and then re-loading a dedicated "anti Infantry" (whatever the vehicle carries) round.

• Members

Well, I personally would be happy with a reasonably reliable (if less-than-perfect) solution, to be honest. Like, fire off whatever is loaded, then load a dedicated anti-personnel round. But even that isn't entirely trivial since the area effect depends on a number of factors, like what's the aim point supposed to be - the guy closest to the center of the group, or "the" center of the group, or "ahead of the center" to compensate for the most likely fragmentation dispersion pattern, and that's already discounting dirty tricks like shooting the ground with a delayed fuze in a shallow angle so that the ricocheting round will explode well above ground, or with point-detonating fuze to shoot a tree or a bush in front of the target for, again, a maximized covered area, or...

Humans are quick to adapt their aiming, once that they learn that certain tricks work under certain, specific, conditions. Try that with a brain-dead zombie crew (which is what our computer-controlled units are). This is what makes it a tricky optimization problem (when humans usually aren't actual "optimizers" but are perfectly happy with a "good enough" solution ... but what is, exactly, "good enough"?)

So ... I acknowledge the problem. I understand the "obvious" solution. I'm still struggling with how we can turn that into a well-performing aiming algorithm. We're gradually making progress towards that goal, but it is a decidedly non-trivial problem to solve.