4.023 "Resetting" Conditions?

Gibsonm

My understanding of the Mission Editor Control Logic was that:

a. Events were single in nature - i.e. they were evaluated as either having happened or not.

b. Conditions could happen several times - i.e. they could be valid in one instance, then become invalid and subsequently become valid again depending on whether their logical conditions were satisfied or not. But unfortunately Conditions don't allow you to display Text or play Sounds, so that information needs to come via Events. :(

The problem I'm trying to solve:

A given map has two concentric rings. The inner ring is a penalty (warning) zone which reveals a unit's position to the enemy if you remain in it too long. The outer ring is a penalty (destruction) zone which destroys any unit that goes in there. Basically the inner ring tells you to turn back the outer ring destroys you if you don't.

44511633560_12c1bfdce8_o.png

I have two scenarios to plan for:

1. The unit blunders in, receives the message and turns back or continues on and is destroyed (purple line):

44511633520_f1355fdef9_o.png

My solution is fairly easy here:

44511633420_7870bd9c3f_o.png

Where there is one test for each of the four edges (hence the 4 "or" statements).

The first time this is satisfied the sound file is played and the message appears in the Text box.

2. Unfortunately if the unit does some sort of "zig zag" and moves back into the warning zone (Purple + Blue line):

46277928322_6bbf1eec8f_o.png

On subsequent moves into the Penalty Zone (Blue line), the sound and text isn't displayed (although the on screen flashing warning is).

I therefore moved to a more complex model where the logical tests were in a Condition and if the Condition were true then the Event was also true and the sound and text were activated.

These Conditions and Events are displayed below:

46277928322_6bbf1eec8f_o.png

46277928082_a3de02ffe7_o.png

Unfortunately these achieved the same outcome (i.e. worked first time, but on subsequent occasions no Text or Sound).

I had thought that the Condition was evaluated every time (i.e. the Reset was built in) but it seems that once a Condition has been satisfied it remains satisfied?

Alternatively the sound files and text are only displayed in the first instance because they are part of the Event?

I have tried to manually write a Rest type Condition (have screen shots if required) but it is not working.

If there is some way to force a Condition to be re-evaluated when its Tested that would be great (or alternatively confirmation that items attached to an Event only happen the first time its satisfied)?

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
3 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

My understanding of the Mission Editor Control Logic was that:

a. Events were single in nature - i.e. they were evaluated as either having happened or not.

b. Conditions could happen several times

The Conditions and Events are displayed below:

[...]

1. I had thought that the Condition was evaluated every time (i.e. the Reset was built in) but it seems that once a Condition has been satisfied it remains satisfied?
  2. Alternatively the sound files and text are only displayed in the first instance because they are part of the Event?

The upper part, you're absolutely right.

Therefore, I think your explanation #2 is correct.

We limit sound playback to events because there can be high frequency alterations of conditions, and if a sound played every time the condition turns true twice a second, it would be extremely annoying.

Thanks Ssnake.

If it only happens once regardless of the status of the Condition I'll just brief people accordingly (1st instance, comprehensive warning, after that a reduced warning).

I'm also glad that I hadn't overlooked something like a check-box, etc.

Merry Christmas to you and the Team (including your / their nearest and dearest). :)

Edited by Gibsonm