Introduction and Question About File Downloads

wperry1151

Seasons Greetings Everyone!

My name is Wes and I just recently downloaded a 1-month subscription to SB ProPE.  Just a little about myself...I am a former 19Kilo M1 tank crewman from the early 1990s.  I trained on M1's and M1 IP's at Fort Knox in the fall of 1990.  After Basic and Armor School I was sent to the OPFOR at Hohenfels, Germany.  Spent 2  years there but we used M60A3's to replicate T72's.  I spent a lot of time in the field training the BlueFor.  I got out of the Regular Army in January 1993 and joined a Cavalry unit in the National Guard.  Spent 9 years total between active and guard service.  I am extremely familiar with armor simulations...grew up playing M1 Tank Platoon, then UCOFT and SIMNET in the  Army, then played M1 Tank Platoon 2 for years when that came out in the late '90s.  So that's my background...hope that wasn't too long-winded.

So on to my questions.  I have completed all of the tutorials for the M1A1, played a lot of Tank Range, and the Chinese Farm Battle in the Sinai.  I downloaded the Camp Hornfelt file but I have absolutely no idea what to do with it.  When I click on the folder I created for it, it opens a "How do you want to open this file?" menu.  I have a feeling its a zip file and needs to be unzipped but I'm not sure how to go about this?  Sorry for being such a newbie to this...I just struggle with modern Windows file management.  So if possible could I get step by step instructions?  I've tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything that seemed to help.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Many of the downloadable fieles are zip files that you need to unpack first. Scenaria files alway have a *.sce suffix.

The files themselfes can only be used with steelbeasts.

file path is usually: C\user\name\documents\esimgames\...\my scenarios

There you copy the *.sce files

These then run under the "offline sessions" in steelbeasts.  You need to click on the "\" above the files names to check for the *sce file folders

Anyway. English is not my 1st language and you file system might be different.

Quickest way to get up to speed is to join an online session with other players...they will be glad to help you and speak you trough any problems.

Check here:

Any maybe contact Gibsonm wiht a PM. He can help better then me...

Edited by Grenny

Thanks for the reply Grenny...but I'm still unsure as to what to do with the file.  I understand that they run in the "Offline Sessions" section, but I don't know how to get the seven scenarios from the folder on my desktop to the "My Scenario" folder in Steel Beasts.  Not sure if that makes sense?

Hi Wes and welcome!

Happy to talk you through the file location question.

Are you familiar with using Teamspeak (available from here: https://www.teamspeak.com/en/downloads/ . Its the community's default voice communications tool)?

Once you have it the Steel Beasts server is located at: 216.22.24.158

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Note that the User's Manual (a PDF document in your Windows Start Menu / eSim Games / Steel Beasts Pro PE folder) has an entire section dedicated to the file structure, describing where the files are that Steel Beasts uses and what they are good for, whether you may modify/overwrite them (or not). It's probably the most boring part of the manual, but at the same time the second most important one.

The most important chapter is of course Chapter 8, especially the various tables that summarize the behavior of computer-controlled units. These are "the rules of the game", so to speak. You can be effective only if you understand the implications of each command.