Has Steel Beasts Died?

Malakie

Been a while since I have been able to play.  Just got back and was looking forward to doing so.  However, I see there have been NO updates in over a year now, even this forum has very few new posts or updates.

And the SAME problem that came out of the 023 update, still exists which makes Steel Beasts unplayable.. ie the mouse pointer completely disappears in full screen and the design does not allow a windowed lower resolution apparently because it just crashes out with a DX error when you try to resize the window.

For as much money as I have paid for this title and all the upgrades over the years, it is getting a bit irritating that the developer is not bothering to use industry standard coding, window and screen API's etc.

Has anyone found a workaround so we can at least play the sim full screen and be able to see a mouse pointer?

• Members

I can but refer to my comments in the other thread. In short, I'll admit that I'm embarrassed about this but I can't say that we ignored the issue, or that we could have made substantially more progress than we actually did. It's just one of the type of problems where you have a lot of preparatory work to do before progress becomes visible. We are bothering to use "industry standard coding" but you can't put that on top of the legacy code, the legacy code must be removed in a way that the functionality remains untouched. This is a time-consuming process during which, unfortunately, not much progress is visible.

• Members

There certainly is a correlation between update frequency of Steel Beasts and forum activity; new versions tend to attract people who otherwise rarely post, and be it just to ask about how certain new features work. So, after a long period without upgrades (such as right now), combined with factors like the holidays, it's mostly the "old hands" and regular players showing up, and by definition they are smaller in numbers. Whether it makes sense to judge the health of a software purely on quantitative criteria, I don't know. But that there are underlying cyclic effects is undeniable.

• 3 weeks later...

as Ssnake says lot of us live under rocks and dark bridges and only scuttle out when the bright shinny glint of updates attracts our attention, also as a lot of the guys/gals on here tend to be big military simers? simmers? sim people? and a lot of military sims have had quite a few updates recently, they are off scratching those particular itches as well, The game still lives tho and I see a few attendees on the friday night games, I also think a lot of us live by the rule especial in these forums, that if we read posts about people asking for help and things, and we don't know the answer, we don't say anything and let the grizzled pros posts shine through.

as for the bug you are reporting i cant/wont comment as i dont suffer from it, but i will defend E-sim on there quality of work, as they do run by the rule that if it isnt right or as dam near perfect, then it does not get released, yes it is annoying and some times painful to hear, and Ssnake dose his best to quell the swath of people brandishing flaming torches and pitch forks, but its a rule that i wish alot of big game/sim developers lived by.

thats my 20 pence worth, i will scuttle back under my rock now.

Its the quite before the storm

Like the other posts have stated, wait for information release for the next update

I can understand Ssnakes reluctance to release any details currently

Till he can confidently release said information.