Some artillery fire questions

wildbillkelsoe

10 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Probably because of a bug.

Ah ok, so its the wrong behaviour? Because I searched for different contextual meanings of number of field artillery tubes(guns) in a BATTERY (number of field guns in a battery) and found out that a single battery can contain 6 platoons of three guns each to form 18 guns which is what one battery is all about so multiples of 18( 36, 72) could explain the numbers and hence why the one selected for guns, rounds, and duration could be the reason three shots are fired from one selected tube (which could be a misnomer for platoon).

Also, sometimes artillery keeps hitting the same spot even after ending missions (with many adjustments done before impacts). 

Sources:

Artillery guide from the wiki

FAS.org

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Well, if you make adjustments, they can be applied only to shots that aren't already in the air. Flight time at longer ranges can be substantial.

I wouldn't count flight time as the possible effect because I was long gone from my observation post, and even ordered a fresh mission somewhere else. I have to record it to show you. So is my understanding correct for the tubes thingy or is it a real bug?

10 hours ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

Ah ok, so its the wrong behaviour? Because I searched for different contextual meanings of number of field artillery tubes(guns) in a BATTERY (number of field guns in a battery) and found out that a single battery can contain 6 platoons of three guns each to form 18 guns which is what one battery is all about so multiples of 18( 36, 72) could explain the numbers

You've got that bit mixed up a little but it might just be wording--
Platoon is 2-4 guns (depending on nationality, organization, role)
Battery is 4-8 guns ("")
Battalion (or regiment) is 12-24 guns ("")
A pretty standard configuration is; 3 guns per platoon, 2 firing platoons per battery ( =6 guns), and 3 firing batteries per Battalion/Regiment ( =18 guns)

10 hours ago, Breakthrough7 said:

You've got that bit mixed up a little but it might just be wording--
Platoon is 2-4 guns (depending on nationality, organization, role)
Battery is 4-8 guns ("")
Battalion (or regiment) is 12-24 guns ("")
A pretty standard configuration is; 3 guns per platoon, 2 firing platoons per battery ( =6 guns), and 3 firing batteries per Battalion/Regiment ( =18 guns)

Ah that makes it so clear thanks. But the behaviour described with one shots landing as threes is intended?

7 minutes ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

But the behaviour described with one shots landing as threes is intended?

No.

As Ssnake said its likely a bug.

I suspect (informed guess) that the software was originally designed for more conventional fire plans (as opposed to the asymmetrical artillery sniper type function).

As a result there was little / no work done (reflecting to lack of a user requirement) to ensure that if you only asked for a single round in total, you'd get a single round. More likely the minimum was a round per barrel / tube.

But I may well be wrong.

Edited by Gibsonm

3 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

No.

As Ssnake said its likely a bug.

I suspect (informed guess) that the software was originally designed for more conventional fire plans (as opposed to the asymmetrical artillery sniper type function).

As a result there was little / no work done (reflecting to lack of a user requirement) to ensure that if you only asked for a single round in total, you'd get a single round. More likely the minimum was a round per barrel / tube.

But I may well be wrong.

Aha so that probably explains it too. Well I guess we have to settle for it as it is for now since it is not on the list of reported bugs.

• 1 year later...

Very helpful information in this thread, thank you to all who contributed.  As I'm currently working on a tutorial, I created these files based on the existing images here and in the downloads section and am looking for feedback/sanity-checking:

I'm also making some tweaks to the Wiki to better flesh out the artillery documentation there, and the tutorial will likely echo the manual, the wiki, and some additional content reflective of anything new in 4.250.

Edited by Valleyboy
spelling error correction

• Members

The example image you're giving, while illustrating the different orientations well, requires extra text to point out that the origin of the semi-circle is NOT a point of relevance ... because of the way that the different examples are arranged.

It might be worth some consideration to arrange them horizontally in a linear fashion, like

0000 - 0400 - 0800 - 1200

1600 - 2000 - 2400 - 2800

...in which case the impression that there's an important center to all this simply won't be created in the first place, that you then have to explain away.

It must be pointed out that all this applies only if the width has a greater value than the depth, otherwise you must add 1600 to attitude. In a video this could be shown with a shape morph animation.

As a first step towards, and as the last step from abstraction, I'd have sections of a map showing units on a road, possibly in "vehicle mode" to illustrate why you want to work with linear targets in the first place and why you probably always want to go for 100 x 300m or 100x400 (because, vehicle distances within a platoon - and because roads never perfectly adhere to 400mil direction increments); 50x200 is a rather tight bounding box that allows for no margin of error (but then again, higher dose of firepower, or fewer rounds required).

• 2 weeks later...