New Gaming Rig - Thoughts?

Lt DeFault

there is a way to approach romance like any business transaction, that is, approach it rationally and kill that bad faith programming: the movies, the love songs, the tv programs, the hallmark commercials. a good rule of thumb like in any business relationship is approximately a 2/3 exchange in your favor. when you put yourself first, this does not mean ignore your cupcake so the she looks elsewhere, but it does mean the benefits trickle down in measured doses- so that she doesn't take it for granted and look elsewhere. once in awhile there is something in the movies that gets right, and when you understand this, internalize it and see it work like this, you cannot unsee it:

• 3 months later...

Okay, I know I said I was going to post the benchmark results from the MSI Trident "soon", but I've been busy. I will do it eventually, but from my initial tests it looks like frame rates are pinned at max no matter what SB throws at it. 😍

In the meantime, my father decided to upgrade his gaming rig. (He's 69 years old - lol.) So, he gave me his old one

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4960X CPU @ 3.60GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
  • 32 GB DDR3 Ram
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 (x2 in SLI mode)
  • 500 GB SSD
  • 4 TB HDD
  • Using a 40" Samsung T.V. as monitor

This should be an upgrade from the old HP Blackbird - so I'll probably be using this to run SB. I think it will be interesting to see a comparison between this setup and the MSI.

8 hours ago, Lt DeFault said:

Okay, I know I said I was going to post the benchmark results from the MSI Trident "soon", but I've been busy. I will do it eventually, but from my initial tests it looks like frame rates are pinned at max no matter what SB throws at it. 😍

increase the visible distance even before it gets to maximum will do it

Wow it's starting to look like I'm due for an upgrade...

FX-8350, 8 cores at 4.0GHz, but I have the 'turbo boost' or whatever engaged so it will go up to 4.2GHz on it's own if the demand exists, from what I understand...

32gb of DDR3 ram

OS and storage on a 1tb SSD, a second 1tb SSD dedicated to games

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, 2gb VRAM

Lately I feel like the video card has been my bottleneck, but since I've always gone for realism and depth over flashy graphics it hasn't been an issue till just recently.

Thinking about getting a mild but cheap upgrade to my video card.

21 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

Wow it's starting to look like I'm due for an upgrade...

FX-8350, 8 cores at 4.0GHz, but I have the 'turbo boost' or whatever engaged so it will go up to 4.2GHz on it's own if the demand exists, from what I understand...

32gb of DDR3 ram

OS and storage on a 1tb SSD, a second 1tb SSD dedicated to games

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, 2gb VRAM

Lately I feel like the video card has been my bottleneck, but since I've always gone for realism and depth over flashy graphics it hasn't been an issue till just recently.

Thinking about getting a mild but cheap upgrade to my video card.

i5-2450

8Gb

GTX 520M

Well...I just swapped out my 2gb GTX 760 for a 3gb GTX 1060.  There's a ton of newer cards out there but I managed to dig this one up for just over $100 with free shipping, so I couldn't pass it up lol...

Steel Beasts usually ran just fine for me on my 760 but now it's super smooth.