Traveling overwatch vs Bounding overwatch

wildbillkelsoe

So in the Camp Hornfelt TACT 1 mission (Tactical movement), I am required to get as quickly as possible to objective Kermit. The map is mostly wooded area with few urban areas dispersed around and through of the direct route to objective. A lot of the time, I get engaged with a huge surprise from apparently mobile units, and even more lurking enemies well placed as a surprise element. There are hilly areas overlooking where I would be coming from that the enemy uses to gain an advantage. 

So per the mission advisory, I am required to use bounding overwatch when contact is expected, and traveling overwatch when contact is possible (less likely than expected). Due to the behavior of AI in marshes (wet grass), namely getting stuck in these marshes, breaking up unity, I can but take only the direct route to the objective. How should my scanning pattern be like, when I am moving on a lone road with nothing but trees to either side and open terrain ahead? 

To be explicit: How fast should left and right scans be? Do I just observe the AI gunner scan without palm switch ON? As in just F2 view without OVRD? 

OR

Do I do the manual scan for the gunner until he beaks "Identified!"?

PS. This may be divulging secret information to the public, which may or may not be affiliated with known or unknown disruptive terrorist organizations. Also, this may be divulging sensitive knowledge = without consent from serving officers.

17 minutes ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

To be explicit: How fast should left and right scans be? Do I just observe the AI gunner scan without palm switch ON? As in just F2 view without OVRD? 

OR

Do I do the manual scan for the gunner until he beaks "Identified!"?

Let the gunner be the gunner. As the TC, if you are not in contact, you should be unbuttoned and scanning with either the Mk. 1 eyeball, your binos, or the TIM/CITV/Periscope, depending on the tank that you are using at the time (I know that the default is the M1A1(HA). Hold down shift and right click on any enemies that you observe to report them to your Platoon. The enemy icon will appear on the map and the AI gunners will adjust accordingly. 

20 minutes ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

PS. This may be divulging secret information to the public, which may or may not be affiliated with known or unknown disruptive terrorist organizations. Also, this may be divulging sensitive knowledge = without consent from serving officers.

This statement is fairly ridiculous...

You mean to say that once a tank is spotted in a scout route tactic, by my Mk I eyeball or binos, the turret will rotate and engage this target without any further intervention from me? No need to order gunner to traverse left or right? Or issue shoot at unit marker? What if gunner AI is scanning away from where I am looking? If hes scanning left to right and I spot a target to the beams away from his current scan zone?

Edited by wildbillkelsoe

54 minutes ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

You mean to say that once a tank is spotted in a scout route tactic, by my Mk I eyeball or binos, the turret will rotate and engage this target without any further intervention from me?

No, because fire control is at 'return fire only' on a scout route, and the gunner isnt telepathic.

54 minutes ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

No need to order gunner to traverse left or right? Or issue shoot at unit marker? What if gunner AI is scanning away from where I am looking? If hes scanning left to right and I spot a target to the beams away from his current scan zone?

You answer your own questions here. If as the TC you are seeing something that the gunner isnt, and you think its important, then of course you let the gunner know. It helps to be familiar with the various routes and tactics, and how the 'AI' behaves respectively. 

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Moving_Units_On_Routes

Edited by Bond_Villian

So we are talking about guard or defend tactics here as they are the ones with detected enemies. I am referring to detecting enemies by binos and right click in one direction while the gunner is facing another direction. If I spot a unit using only binos and right click, the gunner will slew the turret to my binos direction provided he has LOS (or not?) and start firing on his own under guard or defend tactics?