ITEC 2019

IrishHussar

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

You won't get to see this in version 4.1, at least not in this form.

But I thought it was a neat illustration of the cannon danger zone from sabot petals as we're simulating them. The challenge was that the sabot separation itself happens rather quickly "between frames" so the initial movement appears linear when it's actually shaped more like a trumpet. After that first frame we then let the petals fly with realistic masses and different material properties such as PE (Nylon), carbon fiber, or (mostly) aluminum. Needless to say, a 1.3 kilogram heavy aluminum petal has a much higher destructive potential than a 3 gram piece of plastic (still traveling at supersonic velocities, though).

Air drag still needs to be increased a bit to reduce the max range of the petals compared to this shot by about 30 or 40%, but still.

Yes, overpressure near the muzzle will of course also be harmful to nearby infantry, or trucks. So, MBTs on convoy protection will need to act with a bit more discretion before applying their firepower.

spacer.png

And while we're making the sabot petals dangerous, we limit this to tanks where human players are responsible for weapon use - commanders, gunners. Otherwise the petals fly through the AAR and create puffs of dust where they hit the ground during the execution phase. You'll see that in some of our future YouTube videos.

In other news, more variety for terrain themes. We will ship SB Pro PE with a few dedicated "African" themes for your Toyota wars, with termite hills, acacia trees. One day, giraffes (just not in version 4.1). I hope you'll like it.

Great stuff!

Giraffe = Counter Battery / Surveillance Radar, or just the Mammal with the long neck?

image.png.dfb97c5d41749cc40494913264f46ff7.png

Edited by Gibsonm

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Marko said:

I reckon the battle of Cuito Cuanavale.

Would make an excellent mini MP campaign.

T-55s /BTRs Cuban (FAPLA) forces

DF-90 and shot Cals ( Olifant) for the South African forces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cuito_Cuanavale

Cuito Cuanavale is the operation that is always talked about (mainly due to a combination of a successful Cuban IO campaign combined with the SADF's unwillingness to publicize the war), but I would much rather see Operation Askari. 

Another more interesting option would be to make an alternate history scenario where the Cubans invade South-West Africa (as it was known at the time) with an Armored Brigade. Major General Roland de Vries had made a plan for this possible scenario, which was a defense in depth starting in the vicinity of Calueque, and ultimately drawing the Cubans into Etosha to conduct a deliberate defense. That would be particularly interesting. 

15 hours ago, Marko said:

I reckon the battle of Cuito Cuanavale.

Would make an excellent mini MP campaign.

I did make a MP H2H scenario inspired by that battle(s), not a campaign though (its been played a couple of times at TGIF). I modified an existing map for that scenario, but will be updating it with the 'actual' Cuanavale map once the update is out. I found it difficult to find good proxies for some of the SADF vehicles of that time, hence my comment about the DF90=Ratel90.

A video for people with nothing better to do than watch other people playing games ;)

Edited by Bond_Villian

8 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

Cuito Cuanavale is the operation that is always talked about (mainly due to a combination of a successful Cuban IO campaign combined with the SADF's unwillingness to publicize the war), but I would much rather see Operation Askari. 

Another more interesting option would be to make an alternate history scenario where the Cubans invade South-West Africa (as it was known at the time) with an Armored Brigade. Major General Roland de Vries had made a plan for this possible scenario, which was a defense in depth starting in the vicinity of Calueque, and ultimately drawing the Cubans into Etosha to conduct a deliberate defense. That would be particularly interesting. 

Get to it!

• Members

Stealing all my thunder, I see... In the AAR, notice that there's a method to the madness of the color coding - white fragments are (comparatively) weakest, the more red they are the bigger their penetration value. This if course always relative to the individual round, not normalized to some absolute values. As can be seen, fragments to the rear tend to be weaker, simply because they fly against the projectile's trajectory vector.

Each ammunition has been individually parameterized. It may not be perfect, but at least whenever the total in-flight mass of the projectile, the amount of HE filler and the HE filler composition were known, that went directly into the ammo stats. Likewise, activation and burnout distance for the tracer element, along with its color (where it could be determined), and self-destruction range (if any).

In fact, the "New HE" model was a major development effort to improve the overall quality of simulation results. It's now grounded in well-established engineering models surch as Gourney, Taylor, Mott, and THOR (not the Hammertime guy, though). We have now a reasonable model for overpressure damage on infantry (also, some objects will offer blast protection, others won't), the fragments are realistic in number, size, their velocity, and - within limits - their spatial distribution (nigh impossible to determine with accuracy from open sources). All in all I'm actually quite proud of this achievement even though it may not appear all that spectacular. It was a fair bit of work, and had me peeved for about ten years. Finally we found the time to work on this.

The Giraffes General Council wishes to express their gratitude for placing them at their rightful place, center stage:

smooch.jpg.a950fcd92a47ef8dcf7cc8b78df0f4eb.jpg

A sloppy smooch for the guys from E-sim

Also I cant wait to start fiddling with the new setup and making scenarios.

On that note and leaving the Giraffes aside, will there be expanded functionality in creating and executing scenarios (pardon me if I missed it above) ?

Edited by Nike-Ajax

• Members
25 minutes ago, Nike-Ajax said:

will there be expanded functionality in creating and executing scenarios (pardon me if I missed it above) ?

I have no idea what you mean. What is "expanded functionality in creating and executing scenarios"?

49 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I have no idea what you mean. What is "expanded functionality in creating and executing scenarios"?

Ah yes - that was unclear:

What I mean is that making a scenario is much more than placing units. So will there be more options for placing units, creating triggers, adjusting behaviour, map graphics and so on in the Mission editor and/or map Editor?

Edited by Nike-Ajax

To get vaguely back on topic (as opposed to "what's in ver 4.1x"?)

How was the event?

I understand its footprint has shrunk a little but was there serious interest in your product (as opposed to people just kicking tyres)? Not after commercial in confidence information but whether it was a "success" in terms of serious interest that may translate into new business.

Hopefully by now its fairly obvious to most that eSim's success in the professional / military space has a massive flow on effect to the civilian product.

Edited by Gibsonm

5 minutes ago, Colebrook said:

The new HE model affects other ammo types (like keft,mpat or heat rounds)?,And what about offmap HE arty,is also using this new model?

Looks great, is amazing that despite all the  improvements we are going to have better fps.

Wait for the video 😛

Ok, Infantry video made...will upload shortly.

The topics for the next two videos( if the Ssnake does not object) are:

1."Anker-wirf"

and

2. "Zu-Gleich"

The one who can tell me what that means for one and two...gets a cookie (germans need not apply)