ITEC 2019

IrishHussar

• Moderators

It must be kept in mind that infantry have been fundamentally reworked to be (hopefully) much less buggy in their general behavior (movements, path finding, mounting and dismounting, etc). There will likely still be issues, yes, but tons of time and effort were spent in 4.1 overhauling general behavior from (almost) the ground up.

Its a very complicated subject, but there have been tons of non-glamorous infantry improvements 'under the hood'.  The underlying foundation has to be improved before additional features are tacked on, and the foundation is what we are concentrating on here.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Volcano said:

It must be kept in mind that infantry have been fundamentally reworked to be (hopefully) much less buggy in their general behavior (movements, path finding, mounting and dismounting, etc). There will likely still be issues, yes, but tons of time and effort were spent in 4.1 overhauling general behavior from (almost) the ground up.

Its a very complicated subject, but there have been tons of non-glamorous infantry improvements 'under the hood'.  The underlying foundation has to be improved before additional features are tacked on, and the foundation is what we are concentrating on here.

Perhaps something for a second "compare and contrast" video as mentioned previously:

Fantastic! Did we notice the new DShK(M) model in there too? I'm excited to add that to one of my scenarios which currently uses the M2HB as a proxy. 

I'm also looking forward to using the GMLR as a virtual scout.  Is it based on a particular piece of equipment or a "generic" model (so I can timestamp it for inclusion in scenarios from a particular date or not)?

Edited by Panzer_Leader

19 minutes ago, Vikingo said:

Really like the new forward observer optics, ....

I don't think its limited to FOs / JTACS, I think it maybe an optional sight to give to various recon units, etc.

Pretty sure Grenny mentioned that but of course wont know for certain until its released.

On 5/23/2019 at 2:25 AM, Ssnake said:

You won't get to see this in version 4.1, at least not in this form.

But I thought it was a neat illustration of the cannon danger zone from sabot petals as we're simulating them. The challenge was that the sabot separation itself happens rather quickly "between frames" so the initial movement appears linear when it's actually shaped more like a trumpet. After that first frame we then let the petals fly with realistic masses and different material properties such as PE (Nylon), carbon fiber, or (mostly) aluminum. Needless to say, a 1.3 kilogram heavy aluminum petal has a much higher destructive potential than a 3 gram piece of plastic (still traveling at supersonic velocities, though).

Air drag still needs to be increased a bit to reduce the max range of the petals compared to this shot by about 30 or 40%, but still.

Yes, overpressure near the muzzle will of course also be harmful to nearby infantry, or trucks. So, MBTs on convoy protection will need to act with a bit more discretion before applying their firepower.

spacer.png

And while we're making the sabot petals dangerous, we limit this to tanks where human players are responsible for weapon use - commanders, gunners. Otherwise the petals fly through the AAR and create puffs of dust where they hit the ground during the execution phase. You'll see that in some of our future YouTube videos.

In other news, more variety for terrain themes. We will ship SB Pro PE with a few dedicated "African" themes for your Toyota wars, with termite hills, acacia trees. One day, giraffes (just not in version 4.1). I hope you'll like it.

If ever proof was needed that Steel Beasts is a top-notch simulation, this is it.  The care that's obviously been taken to model sabot petal (and overpressure) effects is impressive.  The fidelity and training benefits to eSim's military users must be significant.  No spray and pray here -- gunners, crew commanders and nearby dismounts must be aware of where a vehicle's barrel is pointing and when it's likely to fire.

Also, reviewing @Grenny's video on the DF30 and simulation of shrapnel, does shrapnel splash off vehicle armour or other surfaces now affect nearby dismounts, i.e. can splash wound or "kill" nearby infantry if they're too close?

• Members
1 hour ago, Panzer_Leader said:

Also, reviewing @Grenny's video on the DF30 and simulation of shrapnel, does shrapnel splash off vehicle armour or other surfaces now affect nearby dismounts, i.e. can splash wound or "kill" nearby infantry if they're too close?

Yes.

A particularly effective (if nasty) strategy is to shoot trees or bushes shortly in front of the target, giving you effectively an airburst option. That's also when you could get a few thousand fragments to the face from a prematurely fired HEAT round, taking out many of your sensors. And you really want to duck now, as a commander.

The new machine guns are a pretty big deal IMO.  Its something that I kinda knew could be "better", and now it is, and I think it's awesome. 

It's actually now a tool that can be used to teach.  Whereas before it wasn't IMO, wasn't anywhere near good enough for that.   Not surprisingly, the new improved sights/views make them much more effective weapons.   The new views, peek, zoom, different sight selections, sight adjustments.., mean that you will need to learn the new keystrokes associated with these new features.  Relearn how to use heavy machine guns in SB.    They are a lot of fun to use, and I find that now I want to use them, before not as much.  

I don't think Grenny mentioned it in his video, but these are core updates.   So that means the flex mount 50 on the M1A2 "pimped", BTR-50 "pimped", anything you can currently attach these weapons to, pimped!  This a a vast upgrade to a whole horde of vehicles, as well as the infantry teams.

19 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I don't think its limited to FOs / JTACS, I think it maybe an optional sight to give to various recon units, etc.

Pretty sure Grenny mentioned that but of course wont know for certain until its released.

Great! The more pimped units the better B| now we wait and see... ^_^

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

JIM-LR will be found under "personal optronics", along with night vision gear as the second option, and who knows what else might get added in the future. So, in principle, every infantry unit could be equipped with it.

Thanks @Ssnake, appreciate your answer to this and my previous question (and @Gibsonm's response). 

Some very fun stuff coming and I suspect we're at ~10% of the haul!

The JIM LR product page for those interested: https://www.safran-vectronix.com/product/jim-lr/ 

Edited by Panzer_Leader

• Moderators
On 5/25/2019 at 11:30 AM, TSe419E said:

I hope that one day the machine gun improvements are applied to the M85 on the M60A3 as that is how the TC would use it in most cases.

Hmm, how would it benefit the M85 if it is inside of a closed cupola? 🤨

But for what its worth, this work is for guns that are treated like their own "actors", able to mount on other vehicles or give to infantry, etc.  Hard to justify the tons of work if its only used on one vehicle, but you never know.

1 hour ago, Volcano said:

Hmm, how would it benefit the M85 if it is inside of a closed cupola?

The elevation handle/gun switch and the traverse handle are easily reached and manipulated while the TC has his head outside of the cupola and shoulders above the top of the sight box on top of the cupola.

Nice to see the Engineers getting some love! I'm guessing there will be published times for how long it takes to dig fighting positions in each of the "realism modes." This should make a deliberate defense a bit more interesting to plan, while also offering the ability to make it work within the context of a "regular" Steel Beasts game. 

• Members
13 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Do we get the same effect from other munitions? Artillery, mortars, HE shells?

Eventually yes, but not now. If we had a few more months... but the date is set, and we just won't introduce a high-risk feature at the last minute.