Weekday Games?

Kazick

I posted this to Reddit the other day, and Ill share it here as well.

So I’ve been on and off playing Steel Beasts for a year now. I won’t say I’m good at it, cause I know I’m not. I still have loads to learn.

But one of the things that has bugged me, and was holding me back from buying, was the online play section of Steel Beasts forums. I noticed that most of the games are Saturdays and Sundays. I understand that this works for a majority of people. But this doesn’t work for me as I work weekends.

So I’ve only been able to participate in the TGIF games. Which I’ll be honest I haven’t been enjoying. Mostly because I’m not getting the sim experience I want out of SB. I’m not a fan of controlling multiple units on the field and having to manage a platoon of tanks and troops. I’ll go with my in experience in the sim as a contributing factor there.

But I’ve seen that there are planed multiplayer engagements where it is one person one tank. (Or even two people one tank multi crew roll) And that’s what I really want to do. I’ve been trying to convince a few of my friends to at least try SB with the one month license, but so far no takers. In the mean time I keep practicing with the TANKS! scenario and getting time on the range with the different tanks.

So with all that said, are they are groups that maybe do a week day scenario?

For some context, I live in pacific time zone, and have Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s free.

I’ll admit that I am at fault for not actively looking for sessions. I look at the calander and I check the froums once or twice a day. And I don’t spend hours sitting on the Teamspeak server. So by the time I see that and adhoc session is going on it’s after the fact. 

Make me think a better way of advertising sessions might be in order. But I’ve read that Discord was tried and failed. 

Well… 

I must confess that I have let the ADHOC games lapse a bit. But we used to do it almost every night. And call it out in the thread on SB.

I think it is time to do that again, because it worked. Primarily because there were no obligations and not set number of people.

40 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

There are other options beside Kanium too (for what its worth).

Some VU's meet mid week and there is a little thing called Thank God Its Friday (TGIF)

A look at the Calendar area here will help inform your choice:

https://www.steelbeasts.com/calendar/

Per my original post, I have looked at the calendar. And all the posted sessions there are on weeeknds while I am working.

Also as mentioned, I have been playing the TGIF sessions. Since they are the only ones scheduled around a time I am free to play. But as I said, I haven’t been enjoying them. 

21 minutes ago, Kazick said:

Per my original post, I have looked at the calendar. And all the posted sessions there are on weeeknds while I am working.

Also as mentioned, I have been playing the TGIF sessions. Since they are the only ones scheduled around a time I am free to play. But as I said, I haven’t been enjoying them. 

Can you play now? :)

27 minutes ago, Kazick said:

Well I'm pretty sure BG ANZAC, being on Thursday nights - aren't weekends?

* my embolding of "all".

Edited by Gibsonm

12 minutes ago, Nike-Ajax said:

Can you play now? :)

Not for another 5 hours. I’m at work today and don’t get home till 1900 pst

7 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Well I'm pretty sure BG ANZAC, being on Thursday nights - aren't weekends?

* my embolding of "all".

I looked them up, that’s at 12:30am till 3am for me on the west coast of the US. Most of the sessions that are at a reasonable time for me are on Saturdays and Sundays. Which is what lead me to making this post. 

On 2/27/2019 at 3:27 AM, Bond_Villian said:

I would encourage you to hang in there with the TGIF sessions; just take as many units as youre happy/comfortable with

I've been trying. But I feel they play too much like an RTS (Real Time Strategy) than a sim. What with commanding units across the map and managing all sorts of things. In fact, I had to bail out of tonight's (3-1-2019) TGIF because it was all infantry. I would have had nothing to do and been utterly useless.

1 hour ago, Kazick said:

I've been trying. But I feel they play too much like an RTS (Real Time Strategy) than a sim. What with commanding units across the map and managing all sorts of things. In fact, I had to bail out of tonight's (3-1-2019) TGIF because it was all infantry. I would have had nothing to do and been utterly useless.

Well most of use were acting as one armed wall paper hangers so having "nothing to do" was highly unlikely.

Just now, Gibsonm said:

Well most of use were acting as one armed wall paper hangers so having "nothing to do" was highly unlikely.

Since I have no idea how to use infantry. I would have spent most of the game trying to figure out what to do. And that wouldn't have been any fun for me.

34 minutes ago, Batura said:

Hey if anyone wants to roll and rumble on weekdays around 1900z ish and can't find a game, give me a shout. I think I can make it more often than not. 

See you "tomorrow" - at least for me.

Also FYSA, will be conducting a Q&A session with UO - mainly focused on Platoon commanding (but no doubt other stuff as well) on your Friday:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20190307T1900

Edited by Gibsonm

1 hour ago, Batura said:

Hey if anyone wants to roll and rumble on weekdays around 1900z ish and can't find a game, give me a shout. I think I can make it more often than not. 

You are always more than welcome in the ADHOC games no matter what - like everyone else

21 hours ago, Batura said:

Its 1855Z and there's two of us here in the SB TS waiting.

Hopefully you can make it?

Edited by Gibsonm