Glad to be here.

Batura

So I thought I'd introduce myself to the community I'm about to join. I am a Ukrainian, big on sims of all sorts, but I mostly dwell in Flightsimland. Finally, I join the ranks of Steel Beasts users. Just for one month initially, but I will be getting the unlimited time license as soon as the month expires. I've played the original Steel Beasts way back in the day a little, so I am not entirely new to the concepts etc. Still, there is a steep learning curve, since I have no RL military experience apart from firing off a few AKM rounds from time to time.

I started with the basic stuff, completing all M1 and Leo tutorials and trying some simpler single player missions focused on one platoon operations. I prefer to play from the TC perspective as much as I can. While I am reading up on field manuals, I still find commanding anything more than a platoon quite overwhelming. I hope to be able to make more sense of it as I gain more experience and the stuff I read is embedded in my brain in a more permanent manner.

Now, the main reason I'm posting this is that I'm looking for someone to try multiplayer with, at least relatively newbie-friendly if at all possible, with my near-zero skills and hands on experience. I suppose it would be most convenient to play with people in Europe due to time zone constraints (the TGIF events, for instance, are 5 a.m. for me on Sat mornings, no go in my case). So yeah, if I could roll with some of you, gentlemen, I'd greatly appreciate it.

PS To make this post less boring, here's a moderately epic video or Ukrainian armor (Oplot and Bulat). Now at least if you watch it, it will mean you didn't just completely waste your time on reading it =) 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

I highly recommend BG ANZAC group. They run on Thursday mornings and have helpful material and instruction as well as interesting missions. They are very organized too.

Thanks for the reference although I must stress that "mornings" is relative to where you are.

For us in Australia its actually Thursday evening.

Here is a list of "local" equivalent times:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20190307T0830

Just look down the list for a city near you.

If that's not convenient, then can I suggest you look in the Calendar area ( https://www.steelbeasts.com/calendar/ ) for other Multi-player events that maybe at a more convenient time - the usually run for 2hours or so.

Edited by Gibsonm

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Thanks for the reference although I must stress that "mornings" is relative to where you are.

Yes, the timing is problematic for me. But I appreciate it anyways. I have actually checked your announcements today. It's workdays morning when you meet, so yeah. At any rate, PzBtl 911 says I could join their meetings, and they are an hour ahead of me, so timewise that is nearly perfect.

17 minutes ago, Batura said:

I'll be sure to.

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Batura said:

Hey, I was wondering, is gunnery rating of 93 good or meh?

Its better than 92. :)

Seriously, that's fine - there are ways to get over 100% but playing normally anything in the 90 - 100 band is pretty good. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

There is of course the option of Kanium. We play every Sunday at 1900 GMT. Games are generally about 2 hours long, with human players fighting against a largely scripted OPFOR with some human controllers. Newcomers are welcome, and you can go as complex as you feel comfortable with for your first few games. Plenty of new players start out as a gunner. :D

Here is the signup thread for the game for the upcoming Sunday, if this is of interest to you. You can always ask questions there as well.