Russian Federation Motorized Rifle Regiment

RedWardancer

Being the guy that I am, I decided to design a modern RU Motorized Rifle Regiment based on the 752nd MRR, 3rd Motor Rifle Division, 20th Army.  The goal was to set up a unit for modern large scale battles in the 2010-present era. 

A number of problems came up.  The first and foremost was squeezing all the unit designations within the 16 company limit.  I may have succeeded, but this led to another problem: CO units at the company level.  As you can see, company CO tracks are labeled as HQ 01-09 to represent the company they are in command of.  But what happened was that I used an entire company call sign in order to even have the darn things to begin with.  The first pic represents the entire regiment, the others breaks it down to mech infantry battalions, tank battalion, and regimental support.  What I do not know, is if I can design separate battalion templates, then combine them all into a scenario and be able to merge them all as a cohesive regiment.  Therefore, I am working on a modern Rifle Battalion.  This should be a much easier task for me.  The ultimate goal is for me to design campaigns for my own or for the SB nation...if I can remember how to do that.  Been a year or five...

Please, feel free to comment and/or correct me on my works.  Surely, I made a misstep somewhere and/or someone knows a better way. 

SS_20_43_28.jpg

SS_20_43_48.jpg

SS_20_43_58.jpg

SS_20_44_07.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's a template file for this already?

Have a look at this:

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\Unit Templates\USSR

There are various built in template files here including:

1_USSR MR Rgt BMP_1980.template

To use for post Soviet, just swap the BMP for whatever IFV you prefer.

Edited by Gibsonm

The 1980 template was the base format that I used.  Ran into a number of problems during the conversion.

1, No company level CO vehicles.  The unit creation menu would not let me just make them up with the earlier setup unless they were Battalion vehicles. 

2, The absence of MG platoons in the modern template.  This was easy to fix by deleting them.  But it led to a gap in the call signs.  So I moved platoons around to compensate.  But this still led to the lack of Co vehicles.  As you can see, I still lack CO tanks.

3, readjusting all of this to fit the call sign formats.  Now THIS was a headache, perhaps because I am not a computer guru.  This current modern format was the best I could come up with.  Again, I am certain there is someone who can do a better job in far less amount of time.  What I could not discover is whether or not platoons or companies are labeled within the battalions or the regiments in modern Russian units.  I'll get back to work on this. 

I created this just for ease of scenario building.  Hoping I really didn't waste any time on this.  But input is greatly appreciated.  I'm just human... ;)

Just remember that unit numbers impact massively on "playability".

I suspect the MG teams were cut because those extra 100 or so units "count". e.g. a BMP with a MG team and a Rifle team count as 3 units even if the dismounts are mounted, not one as you might assume. Each one of those has a route check, LOS check, etc. which adds computing overhead to the scenario for very little gain.

Add to that the fact that in most scenarios the MG teams are of little value since the opposition tends to be vehicles (Tks or PCs) and you have added 100 plus units to the scenario for very little effect.

For this reason for say Rolling Thunder when the Red units are scripted I remove the rifle, AGL and other units that will play little part in the battle (unless it is a Infantry assault or similar) because they are riding in the back of RED's IFVs. Similarly, the CSS is not normally doctrinal since that's say another whole bunch of trucks for a MRR.

Sorry, I'm not trying to denigrate you work, but there is a reason why these structures tend to be "lean".

Edited by Gibsonm

1 hour ago, stormrider_sp said:

Whenever I try to create my own templates, they dont load up. Instead, a single Leclerc tank appears. O.o

Hmm dare I say you might be doing something wrong?

I have a bunch of TP / PL and SQN / COY templates.

But I do seem to recall that creating them came with challenges (haven't done any for a while).

The other option I use for big battles are previous large scenarios. I duplicate the file and I then just change the underlying map / scripting that way by MRR or TR remains intact.

I think what you have shown is an earlier TO&E from the 1980s.  I shall look into this more.

I have had a LOT of troubles saving both the callsigns and the templates.  It would look like I was successful, only to see the original template a day later.  It's actually frustrating.  In the beginning, a window would pop up, asking for which company, and a single unit (usually the BN or RGT CO vehicle) would appear.  I seemed to have fixed that problem, just can't remember how.  It's a real headache.

Therefore, I shall withdraw from this maddening project and leave it for techies far more skilled than I.

I miss the days of paper print...

Edited by RedWardancer

• 1 month later...

On 3/7/2019 at 3:32 AM, stormrider_sp said:

You made that template, but could you save it?

Whenever I try to create my own templates, they dont load up. Instead, a single Leclerc tank appears. O.o

When you have finally designed your formation, right click on a unit and look for "Save to Template".  Pick a category you want the template you wish to find it (Default, US, etc).  Come up with your own file name, choose a title, then a description in the large box if desired.  Finally, the tricky part is the top right box.  Highlight the template you wish or create your own...and SAVE!  I do not know what the and other bracketed letters mean.  This took some effort on my part, but I finally figured it out.

SS_20_57_39.jpg

• Members
  • (B] for "battalion" (=more than a single company) sized templates. Once that you pick such a template you can use no other template on the same party.
  • [C] for "company"; up to 16 [C] templates can be applied to a single party
  • [P] for "platoon" (anything that's a platoon, or less)