DEPICT VERT RECON/SURVEILLANCE VEHICLE

marques

I´m not sure where to place this question, to be honest, I hope this is the correct place.

Said that, here is the problem: spanish army is introducing a new vehicle in their cavalry units, called VERT. The VERTs are based in a VAMTAC (kind of a spanish HUMVEE) and have an optronic mast that lets them recce in a range of, let´s say, 8 km, either with tv and with thermals. Each Cav troop will have one platoon based on this vehicle, the rest of the unit being tanks (Leopardos), VECs and 120mm mortars.

I´d like to depict this platoon in a mission in the best way possible. Specifically I´m not interested in the handling of the vehicles, but in adding this recce capability to the guy commanding the troop, ideally depicting the problems of where to deploy them within the troop, to achieve the desired effects without losing them as they are light, unarmored vehicles.

So, how could I depict this long range land based capability? Is there a similar vehicle depicted in SB? A way of adding kind of fake UAVs with limited range?

I´m not expert at all in SB or in it´s editor, so if this question is too simple or basic, I apollogize in advance. I try to follow the rule of "don´t ask in a forum what you can easily find by yourself".

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Right now there isn't anything like that. In principle the Fennek reconnaissance vehicle has this elevatable sensor mast capability, and it's in Steel Beasts, but it doesn't come with crew positions I'm afraid.

But can a fennec plt be commanded through orders in the map? If so, that could be enough for what I want, I.E., that the troop cdr decides where to place them in each phase and that he can Benefit of the added recce capability. Can this be achieved creating a fennec plt within the troop?

We have a similar issue with the ASLAV (S) and the soon Land 400 (S).

You can't crew the sensor suite, but can do some work arounds with text messages to reflect their GSR capability (basically a sighting report).

Its not dynamic (i.e. the ISR person needs to give the mission designer a back brief on NAIs, TAIs etc. and where they intend to deploy to "observe" them (I use a rough rule of thumb of a LOS check at 5m [use whatever height your mast can achieve] and the range of the radar).

Roughly the sequence is:

1. Blue marks their NAIs.

2. Blue player briefs ISR plan (I intend to have a vehicle at GR X observing NAI 1), etc.

3. DS validate locations using LOS check (Blue player knows about this and should use it to support their plan but isn't there for the actual check process).

4. DS creates a zone based on GR X.

5. DS creates event - If Unit Y (the GSR) is in GR X and enemy (not known enemy) unit enters NAI1 then message "blah blah"

If the GSR assets doesn't make it to the surveillance location - no message

If the En avoids NAI 1 - no message.

Can have added complexity:

- Different messages for varying qty / type of enemy in NAI 1, etc.

- EW (no / degraded reports if Red has EW activated, etc.).

- More detail if two vehicles observe the same NAI (overlapping, mutually supporting GSR) etc.

Its not as good as having them modelled, but the GSR commander needs to move tactically, ensure their locations support the broader plan and then relay those feeds (if they receive any) back.

Also you as the DS can pre-prepare a lot of the zones, NAIs, etc. and then just move them onto the map to reflect the locations.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
4 hours ago, marques said:

But can a fennec plt be commanded through orders in the map? If so, that could be enough for what I want, I.E., that the troop cdr decides where to place them in each phase and that he can Benefit of the added recce capability. Can this be achieved creating a fennec plt within the troop?

Yes.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:08 PM, Gibsonm said:

We have a similar issue with the ASLAV (S) and the soon Land 400 (S).

You can't crew the sensor suite, but can do some work arounds with text messages to reflect their GSR capability (basically a sighting report).

Its not dynamic (i.e. the ISR person needs to give the mission designer a back brief on NAIs, TAIs etc. and where they intend to deploy to "observe" them (I use a rough rule of thumb of a LOS check at 5m [use whatever height your mast can achieve] and the range of the radar).

Roughly the sequence is:

1. Blue marks their NAIs.

2. Blue player briefs ISR plan (I intend to have a vehicle at GR X observing NAI 1), etc.

3. DS validate locations using LOS check (Blue player knows about this and should use it to support their plan but isn't there for the actual check process).

4. DS creates a zone based on GR X.

5. DS creates event - If Unit Y (the GSR) is in GR X and enemy (not known enemy) unit enters NAI1 then message "blah blah"

If the GSR assets doesn't make it to the surveillance location - no message

If the En avoids NAI 1 - no message.

Can have added complexity:

- Different messages for varying qty / type of enemy in NAI 1, etc.

- EW (no / degraded reports if Red has EW activated, etc.).

- More detail if tow vehicles observe the same NAI (overlapping, mutually supporting GSR) etc.

Its not as good as having them modelled, but the GSR commander needs to move tactically, ensure their locations support the broader plan and then relay those feeds (if they receive any) back.

Also you as the DS can pre-prepare a lot of the zones, NAIs, etc. and then just move them onto the map to reflect the locations.

God, I did miss this answer somehow!

Thanks a lot, gibsonm, I´ll test this option too.