Random start locations

RedWardancer

Ok fellow Treadheads, working on the first mission in my Ukrainian War campaign.  Having a problem here (of many) as it's been a good five years since my last scenario design.  I have a platoon of Russian sniper teams that I want to begin the mission at random locations inside the green "Russian Spawn Zone" region.  I attempted to use the "spawn if..." option, didn't work.  The units would not show up on the map at all.  Tried the deployment zone option, epic fail.  Very certain that this can be done, just not sure how.  Therefore, knowing full well to let go my (low) ego and ask for assistance.  Randomness and variables is the goal.  Few things worse than a predictable enemy in gaming.  Well, long as we win, right? 

SS_23_24_45.jpg

When you say "I attempted to use the "spawn if..." option, didn't work." what were you trying to do?

At its simplest if you have "spawn if mission time is > 0" then they should appear at mission start.

Then you can do several routes and have "jump to end if ..." on each and use different values for the variable X1.

So a single unit might have 10 different locations by:

Jump to end if ... 0 < x1 < 10 for location 1

Jump to end if ... 11 < x1 < 20 for location 2

Jump to end if ... 91 < x1 < 100 for location 10

Note: I'm doing this from memory (not near the software) so it may not be 100% correct.

The next issue is what are the Snipers supposed to do? If spot things fine, if shoot at things, remember they only engage HVTs (so you need to identify what Blue units will be HVTs).

I'm not going to touch the realism issue of having a Platoon full of dedicated snipers - its your mission.

Edited by Gibsonm

I can't comment on the picture - not sure of its source (its not out of a pam).

Jump to end it should be an option in the mission editor when your create the route (has to be the first route for the unit - if I recall correctly)

Basically it spawns and then goes to the end of the given route (whichever one applies).

When I get home I'll create a simple example scenario and attach here.

There you are:

Blue sniper spawns at mission time = 0

10% they will jump to waypoint 1.

10% they will jump to waypoint 2 and then march to waypoint 4.

80% they will jump to waypoint 3.

Blue motorcycle there because you need something on the map at start (something spawning straight away doesn't count).

Red motorcycle there because you need something on the map at start.

4_023 Jump to end if.sce

Thanks, team.  I searched online for a more recent TO&E and organization of Russian army units.  This chart was the best visual that I saw.  We all know that Russians love their snipers and vodka, but a full platoon per battalion?  But only ONE unit of recon?!?  Gonna change that.  As Gibsonm said earlier: realism.  If I could, I would reward you with free pizza. 

Now about upgrading ambulances...JUST KIDDING!!!!!  😁

I shall look into this with a trial run scenario.  Thanks for bringing this up.

So, how do I get to make a unit START at different locations?  Such as beginning the scenario, unit Sniper 1 could be anywhere inside the spawn or deployment zone?  Or, start off at different waypoints?

Edited by RedWardancer

14 hours ago, RedWardancer said:

Is this chart of a modern Russian Motor Rifle Battalion inaccurate? 

Well, this chart is quite dated and reflects plans from late 2000s-early 2010s.  TOEs for HQ and  various support assets were changed reportedly few times since then

I couldn't believe the amount of snipers in a battalion either. 

Nothing wrong with such amount. 1 sniper per rifle squad or platoon(this depends of many variables)  as a rule of the thumb  before reorganization and consolidation of all snipers in dedicated sniper platoon at battalion or brigade level

Edited by Jartsev

13 minutes ago, RedWardancer said:

Any referrals or recommendations on what TO&E to use?  Say, 2015+? 

Hard to suggest anything useful because nothing fresh leaked so far. Anyway russian brigades were based on legacy regimental kits of  equipment, so old  data still valid to some degree(especially for company level)

3 hours ago, RedWardancer said:

So, how do I get to make a unit START at different locations?  Such as beginning the scenario, unit Sniper 1 could be anywhere inside the spawn or deployment zone?  Or, start off at different waypoints?

Did you  look at this:

I even created an example scenario for you.

If you can't be bothered then nor can I.

Edited by Gibsonm

Attached is a very simple scenario showing how to make a unit jump to four different waypoints at the start and then pick one of two more routes after that.

First, the overview:

vEefi9k.png

The four grey routes have the jump conditions:

EbX2bg8.png

At the end of those routes is a short unconditioned route that leads to a waypoint with two conditional routes that are randomly picked at the time of arrival (using the "New" variable instead of a fixed one):

aTK6gdy.png

I've found that using the "jump to end" condition to go directly to a waypoint with multiple conditional routes doesn't work as expected, which is why I add the short unconditioned route.

Jump2End.7z

Edited by Rotareneg