ArmA 3: Cold War Goes Hot!

Apocalypse 31

Arma 3 TNK PLT test  - Steelbeast style

I am running a small game tonight.

What: Size TNK PLT 

Time: 29-1-2020 1900 UTC (2000 DK)

Modlist: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xhx7tjb6dbfxk2/arma 3 preset steelbeasts arma 3.rar?dl=0

4x Leopard 1a1 is to destroy ENY combat recce patrol for advance guard element

This will be a casual game with Kanium Teamspeak. We will aim for all old and new players to try it out.

Swords

• 4 months later...

Hope no-one minds me bumping this thread. I just bought Arma 3 solely because of Global Mobilisation. But once I finished looking at the gorgeous models, terrain and enviroment I realised that there is very little substance. I thought Arma might have evolved in the five or so years since I last looked at it, but the AI vehicles are still clueless unless micromanaged to an insane degree and the control interface is still poor. I can see that various modders have done their best to address some of the issues, but it still isn't very engaging - beyond setting up simple static scenarios that aren't much more than a glorified shooting range.

Has the OP found a way to make Arma interesting ? apart from having one or more humans crewing every tank...

47 minutes ago, Siddley said:

Has the OP found a way to make Arma interesting ? apart from having one or more humans crewing every tank...

The unfortunate truth is that ArmA was not made to be a single player experience.

It was originally developed in the 90s as a military training tool. There was no need for an emphasis on AI or pathfinding because every role was manned, and there was no reliance on AI.

Fast forward to 2020...Over 20 years later and we are still in the same boat. I don't know why this was never developed - Bohemia frequently boasts their company size and the fact that they've been developing ArmA since 2001, yet they cannot / will not develop controls for managing the AI.

I fully realize that the AI is awful. It cannot do simple things reliability, and needs constant micromanagement, to the point of being a frustrating burden.

There's also no decent way to manage the AI, like SB or Combat Mission. There's no waypoint system, except for the wildly incomplete High Command module, which is rarely used.

Bottom Line: You cannot play ArmA like you play Combat Mission or Steel Beasts. That's not how the game is designed.

It is a sad reality. I hope one day that SB sees the implementation of first person Infantry and helicopters. I will forever uninstall ArmA.

Until then, it seems that you need to find a few people to play with.

47 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

The unfortunate truth is that ArmA was not made to be a single player experience.

Until then, it seems that you need to find a few people to play with.

I think I will have to do that. It's a shame to have the enviroment and the assets but such poor AI. No idea where to look for Arma people who take things semi-seriously though. The community seems to be mostly kids " yeeting 'nades "  with a small number of very serious groups that are a bit too Walt-ish for me...

I'm looking forward to the GM helo's, even though I don't really get along with the Arma flight model ( I bought the helo expansion just for the advanced flight model, which isn't advanced, it's just better than the stock hovercraft\UFO :D ) maybe I can work out some way to enjoy those...

4 hours ago, Siddley said:

I think I will have to do that. It's a shame to have the enviroment and the assets but such poor AI. No idea where to look for Arma people who take things semi-seriously though. The community seems to be mostly kids " yeeting 'nades "  with a small number of very serious groups that are a bit too Walt-ish for me...

I'm looking forward to the GM helo's, even though I don't really get along with the Arma flight model ( I bought the helo expansion just for the advanced flight model, which isn't advanced, it's just better than the stock hovercraft\UFO :D ) maybe I can work out some way to enjoy those...

My suggestion to really enjoy Arma is to uninstall it asap before you find some frustration or another. The last time I did, IFV just refused to fire their ATGMs. I tried to fix it myself and after a few weeks of modding effort I finally noticed it was some crap hardcoded into the cold war dlc that broke all atgms in the game. Result: uninstalled. Before that, IFVs were launching their ATGM, they just weren't guiding them. Uninstalled. Before that I tried making a platoon of tanks to move in formation. Impossible in Arma; uninstalled too.

It was an ambition of mine that back in my VU/MP days to challenge a VU from a different armour related sim to a series of missions 

Using SB and there sim, and show them how it should be done .LoL 

It would have been interesting pitting SB VU,s/players some of whom are extremely proficient in real world tactics against a unknown quantity so to speak.

29 minutes ago, Marko said:

It would have been interesting pitting SB VU,s/players some of whom are extremely proficient in real world tactics against a unknown quantity so to speak

I think we know how that ends, but I would rather show them how well we could work together.

The unfortunate part is that in my experience, most ArmA VU don't know how to integrate armor into their scenarios.

Scenario designers just don't have the depth or capacity to understand maneuver warfare and the practical use of armor.

8 hours ago, Marko said:

It would have been interesting pitting SB VU,s/players some of whom are extremely proficient in real world tactics against a unknown quantity so to speak.

Don´t underestimate how good civilians can be at strategy/tactics...

Red

Edited by Red2112

2 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Don´t underestimate how good civilians can be at strategy/tactics...

Red

True, one of the best tacticians /players i have seen in action using SB

Had no higher level military training.

In saying that he did learn alot from playing missions with guys who had

A funny story from my UK armour days,

One of the guys built a very challenging mission.

On occasion we had visiting players form other VU

A couple of whom were professional soldiers.

The funny thing was when invited to C/O the mission the professionals from different militaries approached the mission.

Identically. and the unit was unsuccessful in its objectives.

The third time we attempted the mission using unconventional tactics we succeed. 

• Members

Being a Tactician is but a skill subset for military professionals. You also need to know about a lot of other things. Training takes years not because tactics is inherently difficult to grasp, that's just half a year at Officers' Academy and then some practical experience with live exercises. There's also law, lots of it, practical knowledge like how to operate weapons & equipment, 1st aid, leadership/human psychology, possibly some survival training, a demolitions course (depending on profession/branch), etc.

In some ways starting your professional life as an officer spoils you for civilian job market because no other job that I know (or heard about) is so varied.

• 2 weeks later...

Hell yes!

New content overview:

• PAH-1 anti-tank helicopter with unarmed VBH-1 variant
  • CH-53G heavy transport helicopter
  • Do 28 D-2 STOL aircraft
  • Mi-2 attack helicopter with many variants (Mi-2T, Mi-2URP-G, Mi-2 Platan, Mi-2Ch)
  • L-410 UVP transport airplane
  • Civilian variants of VBH-1 and Mi-2
  • New weapons (SG5A2, SG5A3, SG5SD2, SG5SD3, FIM-43 Redeye, 9K32M Strela-2, MN-111 Air-Droppable mine)
  • New gear such as vests and hats New ground vehicles (SpPz 2A1, SpPz 2A2, 0.5t truck with MG3)
  • New MG3 anti-air tripod

Various bug fixes as well.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

@Grenny

image.thumb.png.0d38ecc498cf553cef5bfae17cf7b0ad.pngNew patch for Global Mobilization!

Nicely done,

even the Kompany/BN number match with the BN coat of arms on the vehilce** and including a MILAN launcher. 

The posture of the grenadiers in the hatches is odd...and it seems to be and odd mixup between a 1A1 /1A2 and 1A3 model

(MG mounting of the 1A1, MILAN laucher armour and Optics of the 1A2... 😉   ), But well, thats nitpicking

Edited by Grenny

New Content!

Added: GE Army SPz1A1+

Added: GE Army SPz1A1A

Added: GE Army SPz1A2

Added: GC Army UAS 469 Cargo

Added: GC Army UAS 469 SPG-9

Added: GC Army UAS 469 DShKM

Added: PL Army UAS 469 Cargo

Added: PL Army UAS 469 DShKM

Added: GE Army FlKfz 1000

Added: GE Civilian FlKfz 1000

Added: GC Army DShKM Tripod

Added: PL Army DShKM Tripod

Added: GC Army SPG-9 Tripod

Added: PL Army SPG-9 Tripod

Added: G36A1 Rifle

Added: G36E Rifle

Added: G3A3 DMR variant (Handguard RIS)

Added: G3A4 EBR variant (Handguard + Receiver RIS)

Added: M72A3 LAW

Added: PzF3

Added: GraPi 40mm

Added: wz. 83 Pallad-D

Added: AKM Pallad