Jump to content
Gibsonm

Rolling Thunder '19 - Staring into the Abyss (Preferred Date)

Rolling Thunder '19 - Staring into the Abyss (Preferred Date)  

14 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Are you interested in participating in Rolling Thunder 2019 - Staring into the Abyss:

    • Option 1: 1900 GMT 25 MAY. Global equivalent times: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20190525T1900
      6
    • Option 2: 1900 GMT 08 JUN. Global equivalent times: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20190608T1900
      4
    • Option 3: 1900 GMT 05 OCT. Global equivalent times: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20191005T1900
      9
    • Option 4: Would love to but can't make any of those. I have included dates / GMT times I can make in the thread.
      1
    • Option 5: Sorry but I have no interest in this activity.
      1

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 02:01 PM

Recommended Posts

Just over one month to go and effectively seven attendees (including me).

 

This is unlikely to proceed (given the requirement to create multiple scenarios, etc.) with the current degree of interest.

 

I'll make a "go" / "no go" decision in the next week.

 

Thank you for those who have expressed interest to date.

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Just over one month to go and effectively seven attendees (including me).

 

This is unlikely to proceed (given the requirement to create multiple scenarios, etc.) with the current degree of interest.

 

I'll make a "go" / "no go" decision in the next week.

 

Thank you for those who have expressed interest to date.

 

 

Hi Mark

 

Very sorry to hear it, but understand your position completely - I hope that some more people including some of the new guys will jump on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah well we'll find out in a week or so.

 

However I do find it amusing when people complain about the lack of "large scale, multi players events" and then when they are offered they don't sign up to attend them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure it doesn't make a difference, but I voted for option 1 or 2 (can't remember) but my travel has changed and I should be available for Oct. 5th, barring unforeseen work requirements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, AlphaOneSix said:

I'm sure it doesn't make a difference, but I voted for option 1 or 2 (can't remember) but my travel has changed and I should be available for Oct. 5th, barring unforeseen work requirements.

Thanks for the update.

 

Creeping towards the threshhold for "workable".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 4:47 PM, hoggydog said:

I intend to attend

Same,

Probably first 2 scenarios only though, we'll see.

I'll have a word with Crusty, see if he can make it.

Edit: No, Crusty can't make it 

Edited by Hedgehog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to those who have provided updates re attendance.

 

I'll be making a decision this weekend my time as to whether I should continue or put the scenarios on the back burner for development in slow time.

 

To help inform that decision, please let me know by no later than the start of this week's TGIF - 1200 KILO for me, global equivalents: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20190914T02&p1=1440

 

Post TGIF, I'll review the list here, make a decision and post the outcome here. 

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also reconfirm and although it is not guaranteed we may have also one or two more players from the Spanish Tizona, although at this moment I can only confirm my attendance for sure.

Edited by Furia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had been looking forward to this and planning for it, but real life will intervene. So I must back out. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Splash said:

Had been looking forward to this and planning for it, but real life will intervene. So I must back out. Sorry.

That's perfectly fine.

 

Similar issues here.

 

Still trying to determine if its workable of not with about a week to go. :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An update of sorts.

 

For a variety of reasons (one person with numerous competing tasks [work, family, personal, SB, ...]) the series of scenarios planned for Rolling Thunder '19 will not be finished in time, let alone the supporting documents, OPORDs, etc.

 

Even if I rushed through some half baked work (not my preference) we still need to fill manning slots and allow time for potential commanders to develop plans etc.

 

There are therefore two COAs available.

 

COA 1:  Proceed. Recycle some earlier Rolling Thunder product, with patching to ensure it at least runs in 4.161.

 

Pros: 

  • Something will happen this weekend. I appreciate the effort made by those to re-arrange work shifts, etc.
  • There is supporting product (OPORDs, etc.) ready.
  • Updating the scenarios should be straight forward (update map links, etc.).

Cons: 

  • Recycled product, no suprises, potentially doesn't take advantage of new features, may lead to "templating" by previous participants.
  • Impact of new modelling unknown (scenarios maybe broken by new maps, AI behaviours, etc.) and wont be discovered prior due to lack of testing time.

COA 2:  Delay. Continue to develop Rolling Thunder '19 product, and present a properly finished series of scenarios with briefings, etc.

 

Pros: 

  • Avoids the time crunch.
  • Better experience.
  • New scenarios (challenges, etc.) and takes advantage of 4.1xx features.
  • Depending on the date selected may allow some who couldn't make this weekend to attend.

Cons: 

  • Disappointment. Some people have made sacrifices / arrangements for something not happening.
  • Need to determine a new date *.

* Previous RTs have taken advantage of long weekends here in Australia. The logic being that getting up at 0200 to run them (so that the GMT time was "nice") was offset by not having to go to work on the Monday.

 

Unfortunately the next Public Holiday here in Australia is the Christmas Break. I'm assuming most here will be away / unavailable based on past attempts to run "ad hoc" events and / or Q& A Tutorial sessions over the Christmas / New Year's break.

 

After that its Australia Day on the 26th of January.

 

I maybe able to run it earlier but I'd rather not consume 50% of a normal weekend.

 

Questions:

 

1. COA 1 or COA 2?

 

2. If COA 2, are people happy to wait for late Jan '20? The sweetner would be we'd be running RT'19 in Jan and RT'20 in June or October.

 

Depending on the response, I'll post something here on Thursday 03 OCT 19 my time advising which COA will be adopted. If COA 1 proceeds, people should be prepared for rushed planning and uncertain scenario performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

COA 2 as well. This is such an special event that we should enjoy it at its max. Worth the wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm going with COA 2 "Delay".

 

Once the package approaches completion I'll start a new poll to select the "least worse" dates / times.

 

Again sorry for those who re-worked their schedule around this.

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...