What is the best WWII tank game available now?

blazer05

Honestly, one of the best I have played, for a fairly realistic WWII tank sim, would have to be Panzer Elite combined with the OSTPAK mod.

The original PE was more limited in scope with the player operating only PanzerIV (In a few versions), Panther (D/A/G), Tiger IE, and Tiger IE Late on the German side, and several Sherman variants on the Allied side, and included missions set late in the North African campaign, Italy, and Normandy.

The Ostpak mod added missions in Poland, France, Russia, and all the way into Germany, as well as damn near every German, Russian, and American vehicle you could think of. A 'Monty Vs. Rommel' mod offered up North Africa from the beginning of the German involvement until sometime late in 1942, IIRC, and added a list of period German and British vehicles.

That said...The game was not without faults (For example, sometimes an M3 Stuart tank could survive several point blank shots from a Tiger's 88mm due to armor modeling issues.), and graphically speaking it is...Old. Very old. My copy did run on XP however.

there are two new ones being released shortly. i don't know much about either one so i can't say whether they are good or bad.

one is T-34 vs. Tiger.

http://test.lighthouse-interactive.com/T-34-vs.-Tiger-Productgame

the other one is Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942.

http://www.lighthouse-interactive.com/Steel-Fury

demo: http://www.steelfury.info/index2.html

both will be available for purchase here: http://store.digitalriver.com/store/lighthou/en_US/DisplayHomePage

If you don't mind things a bit wider in scope...

I enjoyed (and still play) Airbourne Assault (Red Devils over Arnhem), and am intending to get the next iteration which is the Wacht Am Rhein operation.

I skipped HTTR and COTA, though only because I was still getting what I wanted from the original..

The battles that result are fluid, and you never know for sure when you set up a defense, or launch an assault how long it will take for your subordinates (the AI) to get everything sorted and the plan underway. Very large battles can be fought, in near real-time (with options for time acceleration during lulls) over operationally significant time periods.

A very small, very short engagement may be a 1-2 day battle between an Airbourne Brigade and a couple of Kampfgruppen, but the system remains manageable up to Corps-level 1-2 week operations. Units are represented at the company level (with some platoons - mostly low numbers of 'heavy' weapons, and some battalion sized units - Heavy Flak Battalions, or Brigade/Division Support troops (LOS troops of low quality)).

The only WW2 tank sim that I have played is Steel Fury and that seems fairly good. The only major problems that I have are that the maps are 1k by 1k in size and that it doesn't seem like one can add new tanks to it (I.E., KV2s, Tigers, etc) though tanks that are not playable it it at the moment can be made playable by modders. Also the damage model is pretty damned good.

Too many of these new "tank sims" have been anything but...

I seem to recall Balkans: T-72 On Fire! being mostly third person with some gunsight views mixed in. T-34 vs Tiger is limited to two tanks, and again seems to have that problem, with gun sight views even being full screen...

The only WW2 tank sim that I have played is Steel Fury and that seems fairly good. The only major problems that I have are that the maps are 1k by 1k in size and that it doesn't seem like one can add new tanks to it (I.E., KV2s, Tigers, etc) though tanks that are not playable it it at the moment can be made playable by modders. Also the damage model is pretty damned good.

That's after you buy that duo-core with a $1k vid card to run it (just before they foreclose on it).

Is there something that runs on the machines we actually own - like SB does?

That's after you buy that duo-core with a $1k vid card to run it (just before they foreclose on it).

Is there something that runs on the machines we actually own - like SB does?

There is a year old demo floating around for the game. I have a GeForce8800GTS and a two core processor but I think you can get away with much less than that. Try it out yourself, see how it goes on your computer.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=steel+fury+demo&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=