CH Pro Throttle/Fighterstick keybind suggestions

T. Frankowski

Hello, I'm having issues mapping my CH Products, I'm just not sure what's important and what's not important, I tried using SkyBird03's configuration but there's too many redundancies and I don't feel like it has all the recommended keybinds for it, anyone have a simple profile for the CH Pro Throttle and Fighterstick? If not then can someone tell me what I need to be binded in the way it's worded in the controls so I can find it? Thanks

Edited by T. Frankowski

• Members

Also, it very much depends on which position you're planning to spend most of the time. I'm not a CH stick user so I'm not sure what to recommend. But you can export all hotkeys to a single HTML file as your reference about them. Granted, we use more key bindings than your joystick will have buttons. So I suppose you'd want to apply functions that you use particularly often - change of ammo (or indexing it, or commanding its change if vehicle commander - it's all the same keys), change of the field of view/zoom, possibly the WASDX driving commands, Hold fire/Fire at Will would come to my mind.

Also, I found two profiles in our Downloads area, this page, if you scroll close to the bottom.

The files are relatively old. They may require modification/updates.

First, there is nothing "simple" when it comes to SB4.

I have one for the CH Combatstick & Throttle, which you're welcome to try. Its created with Control Manager 4.52. But I don't know if the file will be read properly by a Fighterstick setup, since the Fighterstick has more buttons (a 4-way hat in place of my Button 2). It's below nevertheless. If you can access it in Control Manager, feel free to tailor it to fit your needs. I consider it a 'work in progress' as I occasionally change/add/subtract based on what I'm playing most.

As far as "proper" "important" or "recommended" keybindings, that's kind of dependent on which vehicles you focus on, which positions (gunner, TC, infantry) you intend to occupy and how you prefer to play the sim.

This is a complicated sim with a lot of vehicles. There are so many keybindings -- many performing different functions in different vehicles -- you really have to pick and choose based on your needs. I, for example, have omitted most AI/comms-type commands from my HOTAS (T for 'found target', I for 'show target', H for 'hold fire', U for mounting/dismounting troops, C for 'resume route', etc etc etc) and instead use a voice-activation app to send those keypresses and anything else I would "tell" a crewmember to do. I have mapped only the actual switchology bindings -- stuff that you actually press/manipulate in the vehicle (Fire, lase, smoke, sight adjustments, TIS, ammo selection etc etc etc) to my stick and throttle.

I also have buttons on my throttle (a thumb hat) dedicated to views/positions, a couple of push-to-talk keys, a pause/center for my TrackIR, and one button as a 'shift' so I can effectively double the number of buttons. Even with that, there are a few things I still have to do via the keyboard and/or mouse.

All the relevant keybinds are listed in the "Controls" area of the sim. You can export that to text and use it for reference. A less-complete but still useful tool is the PDF keyboard layout which can be found in the sim's docs folder.

I hope that helps get you started.

Oh, one other thing. SB recognizes only one joystick input, so you have to use the CH Control Manager software to combine your stick and throttle so that they're seen as a single device, which my profile does.

SBProPE_CH.7z

HAT SWITCH --> FACE FORWARD/LEFT/RT/REAR of turret (also works as external camera control) -Cursor up down left right

Trigger --> Fire - spacebar

Pickle red --> Lase -Ctrl

Paddle--> Override gunner control(Palm switch toggle) -P

Castle AFT/FWD --> index SABOT /HEAT, RT/LT --> switch TIS/DAY, Toggle magnification. - Insert/Delete/Num+/N

The rest are on keyboard WASD for movement, QZ for climbing or descending the hatch.

It would help if you use a second controller with alot more buttons.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:58 PM, T. Frankowski said:

Hello, I'm having issues mapping my CH Products, I'm just not sure what's important and what's not important, I tried using SkyBird03's configuration but there's too many redundancies and I don't feel like it has all the recommended keybinds for it, anyone have a simple profile for the CH Pro Throttle and Fighterstick? If not then can someone tell me what I need to be binded in the way it's worded in the controls so I can find it? Thanks

Hi, I am the author of one of the hardware profiles. Its been a long time I played SBP last time and so I am a bit out of synchronization with things. You mentioned "redundancies", these were intentional. By switching the command layer of the profiles, I used to quickly alter the layout depending on whether I wanted to use the mouse (right hand) and throttle (left hand), or throttle and stick.  I used to switch a lot between that, using mouse control for panning the view when being TC in turret, during march. I used to manually fire the tank gun via stick, not mouse, back in those years. The idea so is to be able to both control formation movement and tank gun with any hand and with being able to quickly switch between stick and mouse in the right hand. You certainly noticed that combat commands and formation movement commands change hands when altering the command layer. Its because of switching between stick and mouse for the right hand.

I seem to recall I included printable command maps for the hardware. Stare at them for a certain time :) maybe it helps to see the pattern behind it. I used this profile for many years.

The profiles uploaded stem from a time when German keyboard commands were logged differently in the CH manager,  for example Y and Z are reversed in international and German keyboards. Such key combination may need to be checked and reprogrammed. Also, the game had lesser functions back then, so indeed some of the functions of today may not be present. Cannot help you there, I admit since some time during 3.0 I strayed away a bit from tanking. Still love the sim and hold it in high esteem, but do not use it a lot anymore. Becoming older, changing taste over years - you know the blues... I have not flown anything since years in a sim as well... I have a fast machine currently (i7 8700k, 1080 OC), and plan to give SBP a good solid revisit once the new version is up. The last times over the past couple of years whenever I played SBP, I used mouse and keyboard only, got tired of setting up the hardware, and my table is blocked with heavy Fanatec racing hardware, since the last couple of years Assetto Corsa/AC Competizione and Raceroom had become my main virtual obsessions.

Edited by Skybird03

55 minutes ago, Skybird03 said:

Hi, I am the author of one of the hardware profiles. Its been a long time I played SBP last time and so I am a bit out of synchronization with things. You mentioned "redundancies", these were intentional. By switching the command layer of the profiles, I used to quickly alter the layout depending on whether I wanted to use the mouse (right hand) and throttle (left hand), or throttle and stick.  I used to switch a lot between that, using mouse control for panning the view when being TC in turret, during march. I used to manually fire the tank gun via stick, not mouse, back in those years. The idea so is to be able to both control formation movement and tank gun with any hand and with being able to quickly switch between stick and mouse in the right hand. You certainly noticed that combat commands and formation movement commands change hands when altering the command layer. Its because of switching between stick and mouse for the right hand.

I seem to recall I included printable command maps for the hardware. Stare at them for a certain time :) maybe it helps to see the pattern behind it. I used this profile for many years.

The profiles uploaded stem from a time when German keyboard commands were logged differently in the CH manager,  for example Y and Z are reversed in international and German keyboards. Such key combination may need to be checked and reprogrammed. Also, the game had lesser functions back then, so indeed some of the functions of today may not be present. Cannot help you there, I admit since some time during 3.0 I strayed away a bit from tanking. Still love the sim and hold it in high esteem, but do not use it a lot anymore. Becoming older, changing taste over years - you know the blues... I have not flown anything since years in a sim as well... I have a fast machine currently (i7 8700k, 1080 OC), and plan to give SBP a good solid revisit once the new version is up. The last times over the past couple of years whenever I played SBP, I used mouse and keyboard only, got tired of setting up the hardware, and my table is blocked with heavy Fanatec racing hardware, since the last couple of years Assetto Corsa/AC Competizione and Raceroom had become my main virtual obsessions.

I know the redundancies were done for a reason, it's all good though I figured out what works best for me, I appreciate that you took the time to make a key map for SB since there's not many people that do so for CH Products. But I got it all situated so thank you all for your input it is appreciated none the less.