How to keep my units on or in a Column formation?

Nike-Ajax

So I am trying to create a new scenario - working title "Cutting the Motti", and I need a X size TF to move along a route of my choosing. I have oriented and placed them correctly on the road, set their Tactics to "None", the spacing to "Close" and Formation to "Column/file" in the Mission editor. 

But no matter if I give them a route in the Mission editor or in the planning phase of the Network session, then as soon as I start it they fold out into line or wedge formation, thus creating chaos.

Is there any way to solve this?

Highlight your route chain line and set the formation for all units using that route..Or before mission starts highlight each unit and set its formation then save mission...That should straighten things out...

49 minutes ago, Nike-Ajax said:

So I am trying to create a new scenario - working title "Cutting the Motti", and I need a X size TF to move along a route of my choosing. I have oriented and placed them correctly on the road, set their Tactics to "None", the spacing to "Close" and Formation to "Column/file" in the Mission editor. 

But no matter if I give them a route in the Mission editor or in the planning phase of the Network session, then as soon as I start it they fold out into line or wedge formation, thus creating chaos.

Is there any way to solve this?

Did you set the formation in the route to column as well?

e.g. If you give them an "Engage" route (even on a road) they will go back to wedge. I think a route with "Assault" is line.

Given what you said above with them in column at the initial location, I'd suggest you check the formation for the route.

Edited by Gibsonm

Sometimes you need to alter the formation at all the Waypoints as well. Or the AI will (how ever briefly) fold out when getting to a waypoint.

Another thing about column formation - if the AI column pass a road on an angle they will start following that road for a while. Pretty irritating actually...

2 hours ago, Mav said:

Another thing about column formation - if the AI column pass a road on an angle they will start following that road for a while. Pretty irritating actually...

Perhaps but in the overall scheme of things a small price to pay, IMHO. Sometimes you can address that in the map editor by ensuring that the main road is the one continuous segment and the unwanted branch is the "add on".

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

When we still had angled roads that would only go in one of eight cardinal directions (like, 20 years ago...), this was the only way to make them stay on roads that were zig-zagging to approximate "other directions". Nowadays this may no longer be necessary. But then again, if you're plotting routes in a hurry and you aren't super accurate, maybe it's not such a bad idea to make them stick to the road if the deviation isn't very big.

So the question is, how many bugs are you willing to introduce by removing a code element that is 20 years old when there's actually still some reason to keep it. Me, I tend to follow the advice of my programmers not to rock the boat too much.

Not arguing any decisions you guys make codewise, but perhaps the "Set route pathfinding" setting "Cross-country (vehicles)" could be used to do that - That was what I assumed (wrongfully though) it did;) 

routepathfinding.jpg

• Members

THAT actually hasn't much effect on the manual because the improved pathfinding integrates very nicely and in an intuitive way into the user interface. And since the performance is increased (dramatically) we're no longer offering the choice to create a scenario without a navmesh. It simply gets created, period. In 40 seconds or (usually) much less, and at better quality than what took up to 20 minutes in the past.

Ah Ok so routes, etc. stay pretty much the same (I was wondering about support for legacy scenarios created under 4.023 and prior) but the "micromanagement" you're referring to is about navmesh and manually "tuning / optimising" routes?

Anyway looking forward to send you money in due course. ;)

Edited by Gibsonm

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, Ssnake said:

And since the performance is increased (dramatically) we're no longer offering the choice to create a scenario without a navmesh. It simply gets created, period. In 40 seconds or (usually) much less, and at better quality than what took up to 20 minutes in the past.

Nice.