Question about Leopard 2A5s, Emergency and Manual modes

Lumituisku

On 10/13/2020 at 2:41 AM, Croaker said:

Trying to learn the Leopard 2A5 using the tutorials today, I also couldn't move the turret in manual mode using mouse or arrow keys in the manual fire tutorial. With an undamaged 2A5, I could move the sight in manual mode using the mouse.

... as the 2A5 has an electrical emergy drive for the turret, this is to be expected

19 minutes ago, Grenny said:

... as the 2A5 has an electrical emergy drive for the turret, this is to be expected

Yes, but the damage type used in the manual fire tutorial should allow for the item it is attempting to showcase to perform as expected. I believe that was the issue, and not how it was simulated.

2 hours ago, Croaker said:

Yes, but the damage type used in the manual fire tutorial should allow for the item it is attempting to showcase to perform as expected. I believe that was the issue, and not how it was simulated.

Why? It works as it would IRL...so where do you see the problem?

7 hours ago, Grenny said:

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The video shows it all.

It works as intended in pretty much any scenario - just not in the tutorial that's supposed to demonstrate how it works.

Eeeer...   yes and no?  

Do you still remember this reply from Volcano?  

On 9/11/2020 at 10:43 PM, Volcano said:

Sorry for any confusion in this thread, but...

"Turret drive" damage causes a loss of powered traverse, not loss of all turret movement.  With turret drive damage, you still should be able to traverse in manual mode. If that is not the case, then this is what would be a bug.

"Turret" damage is what should cause a vehicle to lose all traverse capability, both manual and powered. If that is not the case, then that would be a bug.

(Yes, likely confusion might be from the possibility that "Turret drive" could have been named "Hydraulics" long ago).

--------------------

edit:

To be clear there is a bug here with the Leo 2A5 (the user should be able to traverse manually like the AI can with Turret Drive damage). This is under investigation.

So...  As I understand....   if I understand it correctly.  At some point there was made simplification where  "Turret drive"  means that you are supposed to enter to manual mode and move turret slowly (aka to use back-up power), am I not correct?     And "Turret"  means that motor / gear is broken.   

Atleast that is how it works on all other vehicles (to my knowledge) in Steelbeast.  >.<

So if that is so...  In steelbeast   Leopard 2A5  should be able to traverse turret when player gets damage announcement "turret drive"  as that means main control and is indication to go to use manual  slow mode instead. 

Currently that isn't so, because of the confusion of how different people interpret what "Turret drive"  damage means.       To be clear...  as I understand it -  damage to turret drive as you guys seem to understand it exist  (Where you lose all power and control of turret rotation)  but it is  named under   "Turret"    instead. 

Edited by Lumituisku

• 3 months later...

Hi all, 

Just a small question about leopard GPS (which does not deserve a new topic imo) :

Why hasn't the leopard gunner primary thermal sight evolved from version 2A4 to 2A6 like it had from M1 to M1A2 (a 25/50x zoom is quite usefull, isn't it, even if only digital zoom)?

Looks like that sight is the same for the last 30 years accross all leopard variants.

• Members

The Spanish Leopardo (2A6) does have an extra optical zoom.

I'm not entirely certain why there wasn't a similar development. Most likely, the main customers of the Leopard 2 do not expect to deploy it in substantial numbers to foreign countries with very long lines of sight. If you expect to fight in terrain that rarely offers more than 2.5km LOS (like western and central Europe), sacrificing field of view for higher magnification is more of a liability than an improvement (even if it is just an option).

Or it is the lack of operational experience with tanks in actual, intense combat that resulted in an underappreciation of the utility value.

A 25X zoom has been available in the commander's thermal imager since the introduction of the 2A5. With the 2A7, the old WBG-X is now being replaced with the new thermal imager "Attica"; who knows what it can do (well, we do know that it offers at least a quadrupled sensor resolution).

10 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Most likely, the main customers of the Leopard 2 do not expect to deploy it in substantial numbers to foreign countries with very long lines of sight. If you expect to fight in terrain that rarely offers more than 2.5km LOS (like western and central Europe), sacrificing field of view for higher magnification is more of a liability than an improvement (even if it is just an option).

Or it is the lack of operational experience with tanks in actual, intense combat that resulted in an underappreciation of the utility value.

Or...its planning with the budget and not the tactical needs in mind...

Yeah, its onyl starting to get fixed with the 2A7 and later ...

Now even the Marder gets a new TIS system AND a laser range finder 😉

17 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

The Spanish Leopardo (2A6) does have an extra optical zoom.

I'm not entirely certain why there wasn't a similar development. Most likely, the main customers of the Leopard 2 do not expect to deploy it in substantial numbers to foreign countries with very long lines of sight. If you expect to fight in terrain that rarely offers more than 2.5km LOS (like western and central Europe), sacrificing field of view for higher magnification is more of a liability than an improvement (even if it is just an option).

A 25X zoom has been available in the commander's thermal imager since the introduction of the 2A5. With the 2A7, the old WBG-X is now being replaced with the new thermal imager "Attica"; who knows what it can do (well, we do know that it offers at least a quadrupled sensor resolution).

Well thank you, can't wait to see the 2A7+ in SB, then ;)