AMD Keynote 2019

Red2112

• 1 month later...

i haven't bought new hardware in ten years; looking at retail box sellers (dell, corsair,  etc.), it looks as though geforce graphics cards are favored as the benchmark;

but the issue that surprised me is that i did not see a pre-configured system offered by any of them with a dedicated sound card. all of them use integrated sound on the motherboard. is that

the standard these days?

Thanks for sharing and thank you AMD for ending the Intel core monopoly. Once more one can see, that only competition leads to innovation and value for the customer. But if the programmers are not able to utilize so many threads the progress for the user will be limited.

4 hours ago, Captain_Colossus said:

i haven't bought new hardware in ten years; looking at retail box sellers (dell, corsair,  etc.), it looks as though geforce graphics cards are favored as the benchmark;

but the issue that surprised me is that i did not see a pre-configured system offered by any of them with a dedicated sound card. all of them use integrated sound on the motherboard. is that

the standard these days?

Standard. It frees up space and energy for other things like GPU(s), USB controllers, Wifi... There are still dedicated sound cards in the market, either in-case or external that can provide benefits, but do we really need them?

My new build includes a Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro mother board, and one of the things that impressed me the most about this MB is it´s sound!  Let me add that on my first listen I did use my AKG K171 studio headset, which I use for sound production. These headphones are dedicated "monitor" flat response studio headphones, so I got the full "flat" sound spectrum with no sound coloring in the frequency band.  Which means that if it sounds good on these headphones, it means two things, the sound source is well mixed, mastered, and your sound chain, in this case the MB is of good quality. 

If you are looking for good/better sound quality, then a external sound card (without going high-end on internal cards like RME or Lynx) are quite accessible now day´s...

Steinbergs UR22 MK2 is a good deal.

On a better note, the Steinberg UR RT2 (4) is quite awesome for it´s price, althought it´s geared for music production more then anything else...

It includes "Rupert Neve" designed transformers,

But back to AMD, Iam looking forward to how the industry evolves towards AMD´s  Vega 7 graphics card with it´s 16GB of VRAM.

Competition is always healthy, it leads to inovation.

Edited by Red2112
spelling

• Members

Under the right conditions they can very well bottleneck. Transfer rate over the bus can become an issue, if there's a lot of geometry to push, or large amounts of texture change quickly. And not every task can be parallelized. Sometimes surprisingly few. But ultimately multi-card solutions only make sense if you're also willing to pay for multiple top of the line graphics cards. If you pinch the penny and get a card that's only half as fast as a single of of the best there is, even if it's just a third of the price, it still will deliver worse performance than the single top of the line card.

And at that point we're talking about spending 2,500 USD or more JUST for the graphics card(s) alone, let alone the implications for power supply, a mainboard that actually has two PCIeX16 slots far enough apart from each other that you can fit both graphics cards in there with their monster coolers, system cooling, electricity consumption, etc. And the noise level in your room, plus what it does to the room's temperature. My lowly i7-4770K plus GTX 980 are noticeable heating up my office already, which is fine most of the time - but decidedly not during a summer heat wave.

i have watched as much as i could of the amd clip, that is to say, i skipped to the highlights and skimmed briefly what they were saying. most of it seems to be about overall speed as far as i can tell. when i look at the hardware reviews of the top of the line geforce rtx 2080 cards, the discussion is dramatically different- not just about speed and added cores, but features such as real time ray tracing and apparent attempts at machine learning intelligence. whether games ever wind up supporting these are a different matter though