SB Pro PE 4.1 New Features (and stuff)

Ssnake

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like a map I've played in the "old" 4.023 (Dark's / Zero's CUANAVALE)?

The changes are very impressive.

Again I think it would be great to have the two images side by side (e.g. driving down the road on the "old" 4.023 map vs the same map taking advantage of the new 4.1 features).

The new trees, tracer, blast effects are all great. Oh yea and the vehicles too. ;)

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
18 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Again I think it would be great to have the two images side by side (e.g. driving down the road on the "old" 4.023 map vs the same map taking advantage of the new 4.1 features.

The map that I used was a "fantasy" modification of the "Gomahalo-Badme" height map (northeast corner). I started from scratch, so a direct comparison with an older version of the same map is not possible. But you can clearly see that as far as the road leveling is concerned we're utilizing the high resolution for terrain profile modification (e.g. the road near OP Ant Hill, or the road bend between there and the military camp).

It works reasonably well for individual roads, less so for road networks with lots of intersections. That is work we had to leave for a future New Map Editor.

• Members

Not sure how much of a rule there is with respect to the crew being shown in the semi-transparent vehicles (but I would assume that someone tried to keep it consistent; if it's bad, it was my fault. If it's good, credit belongs to Volcano and the programmers).

The new terrain engine is awesome.  It completely changes everything for missions.  The effects of sunlight on water surfaces is greeted by me with open arms.  That set of binoculars looks like it can store up to 3 different targets, if I'm not mistaken.  Nice video, really looking forward to the release of 4.1.  Now my patience begins to thin.

3 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The map that I used was a "fantasy" modification of the "Gomahalo-Badme" height map (northeast corner).

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Ah, my mistake.

Partial credit; the CUANAVALE scenario was set on the Gomohalo Badme height map, but probably not on that bit of it.

Terrain and graphical improvements look excellent, really looking forward to getting my hands dirty in the map editor with 4.1! :)

11 minutes ago, Captain_Colossus said:

it looks like something subtle but significant is different- the AI doesn't get a head start on missile launch detection like before. i don't see the hatches on the t-55s dropping and the tanks going into search mode immediately when the trigger is pulled- i hope that is the case

Oh yes good spotting!  What caught my eye was that enemy troops seemed to fire randomly machine guns at some direction.  As if they didn't know precise location.  

7 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I'm glad you like it. Was a fair bit of effort to get it to work. :)

I like it too , the new terrain looks very good and one can sense the speed of the tracers, very immersive.  A wonderful work! 😁

1 hour ago, Panzer_Leader said:

Based on the video itself (nice narrative BTW) plus all the comments above, including things I didn’t notice first pass, it’s really looking fantastic! To possibly add to the haul, is that a new T-55 variant? Vanilla hull but LRF box above main gun?

I hope so, gotta love the ol' T-55

• Members
2 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

Oh yes good spotting!  What caught my eye was that enemy troops seemed to fire randomly machine guns at some direction.  As if they didn't know precise location.  

That's more due to omissions of film editing. There were the original patrol vehicles in a different location than OP Ant Hill (note the inhumanly precise (if misguided) impacts of 40mm AGL on the second tank after the first missile strike), and then a second OP team.

The AI has improved, but not to the point that they would just panic and shoot on suspected enemy positions. Maybe they shouldn't have fired on the OP teams, but I guess the vehicles were fair game. Also not shown in the film were certain ... highly unprofessional driving maneuvers after stealthily dropping off the two OP teams in the pursuit of relocation.

• Members

Like I wrote, the technology is there, in principle. It is however still of limited utility value, something I'm deeply unhappy with. This isn't the guys' fault, inflating the ground resolution by factor 512 while improving frame rates and maintaining the overall flexibility of Steel Beasts was an almost impossible task, but they did it. But we're way behind with applying that technology in a way that is easy to use and that could work largely automatic. But that's just not where we are, yet. This works well for individual roads that snake up mountain flanks, to that extent you can rely on it.

But as soon as there are road intersections, things will quickly fall apart, I'm afraid. We have an idea how that could be made to work. but that'll require a lot of extra effort, and the question is if technology might not overtake us while we're working on it. We might develop a perfect solution for a problem that no longer exists by the time that we've solved it.

For more and more areas high resolution LIDAR scans are becoming available. Where you have sub-meter elevation data resolution, modifications of road profiles are usually no longer necessary as ramps and embankments are already paret of the base model. Procedural modifications like road leveling are only required if the source data quality is poor.

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The AI has improved, but not to the point that they would just panic and shoot on suspected enemy positions. Maybe they shouldn't have fired on the OP teams, but I guess the vehicles were fair game. Also not shown in the film were certain ... highly unprofessional driving maneuvers after stealthily dropping off the two OP teams in the pursuit of relocation.

Ah I thought maybe they had an "open fire if ..." command to make it look they were try to suppress the source of the incoming fire.

Edited by Gibsonm