SB Pro PE 4.1 New Features (and stuff)

Ssnake

17 hours ago, Grenny said:

You can do that using the scenario editor to run the battle...

I didn't know that. But Scenerio editor won't reveal the enemy? if that is the case it is not useless for me. 

Also the multiplayer sessions are played in normal play mode, so we wouldn't have the repeat option at full FPS.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One more question. 

The 16GB data map, is for full earth elevations? I mean.. we have the hability of choose and make any map portion of the Earth we want... so I don't understand what is inside that 16GB data downloaded (maybe more once installed)

Edited by Japo32

1 minute ago, Japo32 said:

I didn't know that. But Scenerio editor won't reveal the enemy? if that is the case it is not useless for me. 

Also the multiplayer sessions are played in normal play mode, so we wouldn't have the repeat option at full FPS.

Ahm , It does. You need to set that in the options menue.

And if you think about the 3D view...if you have LOS to the enemy, you can see it.

If you want to film their perspective...jump to red.

Just now, Japo32 said:

One question. 

The 16GB data map, is for full earth elevations? I mean.. we have the hability of choose and make any map portion of the Earth we want... so I don't understand what is inside that 16GB data downloaded (maybe more once installed)

16GB for a full earth model in sub m resolution?

Are you serious? Or did I misunderstand you?

16GB is for the maps that are available in Steelbeasts.

• Members
10 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

The 16GB data map, is for full earth elevations?

The earth's surface is ~149 million km²; with a 78cm mesh and 16 bit per mesh post that would be approximately 444 Terabytes. Even with 90% compression efficiency we'd still talk about 4 Terabytes, so... no.

The 16 GBytes will essentially be a collection of the maps that were shipped with previous SB Pro PE versions, converted into the new map package format (which will spare you a few days of number crunching at home and a raised electricity bill). That way you can continue to play the vast majority of scenario files ever made for Steel Beasts without having to worry about map conversion. At least that's what we think that will happen. I can't rule out that there's the one or other user who is mostly playing scenarios based on custom maps that require individual conversion. But all the scenarios that are being shipped with SB Pro PE 4.1 (and previously with 4.0, and 3.0) should work "out of the box".

If I remember well... the 5m resolution of all the earth for FSX was 23GB or so. Of course is 5m.

I understand of course 70cm resolution is too much and that would take more GB for the full planet, and that you have to make the as "the real thing" because is for training of real forces in exercices. 

But, there is also the videogame part. You chose what you chose, but you could also make not realistic aproximation, giving fractal solutions to the terrain with a real based terrain. Also Earth is flat in several parts of the world, so you could have that data compress. This is an aproximation as Wav and Mp3 (well not the same but is good for me). Less data stored but almost same quality.

I have 2 civil flight simulators with all the world and all the data I have fits in my "little" hard drives.

For example.. you could have chosen the method of terrain as it is in Outerra, where it downloads the content from the net, of the area the camera is in... And I feel Outerra is very realistic in terrain definition. Even they have the craters generation as 4.1 has now:

http://www.outerra.com/

Edited by Japo32

2 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

If I remember well... the 5m resolution of all the earth for FSX was 23GB or so. Of course is 5m.

I understand of course 70cm resolution is too much and that would take more GB for the full planet, and that you have to make the as "the real thing" because is for training of real forces in exercices. 

But, there is also the videogame part. You chose what you chose, but you could also make not realistic aproximation, giving fractal solutions to the terrain with a real based terrain. Also Earth is flat in several parts of the world, so you could have that data compress. This is an aproximation as Wav and Mp3 (well not the same but is good for me). Less data stored but almost same quality.

I have 2 civil flight simulators with all the world and all the data I have fits in my "little" hard drives.

For example.. you could have chosen the method of terrain as it is in Outerra, where it downloads the content from the net, of the area the camera is in... And I feel Outerra is very realistic in terrain definition. Even they have the craters generation as 4.1 has now:

http://www.outerra.com/

The resolution in FSX is oksich for a flightsim...its game breaking for a groundsim...

As said.. Outterra does it.. creating those "imperfections" by fractal, the real elevations in the grid.. and I think does it pretty well, with the real full world data. 

Of course SteelBeast will do it good also, but are different valid aproximations to the same problem and that is the reason I asked about the content of that data.

This video from 2010:

Edited by Japo32

of course. No problem with that. Just was asking.

But with that said... will the terrains made from users the option to include their terrain data also? Of course size will increase from them, but we can choose to install or not of course.

Thanks.

Pd: I know I ask crazy "stupid" things.. but if you could implement all the trackir axis would be great for looking around better inside tanks. We deal with the clipping problem. Don't worry. :P

Me? Really just implement it and people would be able to lock the axis in Trackir if they don't want to clip through the objects. I have been 20 years?? flying with trackir and the "walls" feature was introduced by very little airplanes. Never had an issue about the view went outside of the cockpit. I managed and calibrated the trackir device to move very confortable.

In Steelbeast what I could use it for? First for access those switches that I cannot see clearly and are behind any 3D part. I know I can put hotkeys on them or I can use the Zoom-pan function, but is so unconfortable, compared to use the Trackir with the pan axis.

Also to look to the periscopes and block windows more confortable.

I could continue hours and hours typing about the benefit of using all the axis in Trackir, like you could open the gate to VR in future, for example. But I think the most important is that anyone can block their axis movements if they would just like to leave the motion as it is right now; and others could make it better. Give freedom to users.

Also another issue I remember about trackir is in Leopard (or Abrams, don't remember quite well) when not "zoomed in" the commanders computer displays, we cannot manage the motion of the tower. We have to zoom in and then once "zoomed-Centered" in that "2D" screen, we can work with it.

If we could manage the display in the "3D-outzoom" position, then we could glance fast through block visions also in cases we need to. And all with the move of the head and the joystick to manage the tower or give orders to the shooter.

So yes, would say that now and later for sure.

Edited by Japo32

24 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

Me? Really just implement it and people would be able to lock the axis in Trackir if they don't want to clip through the objects. I have been 20 years?? flying with trackir and the "walls" feature was introduced by very little airplanes. Never had an issue about the view went outside of the cockpit. I managed and calibrated the trackir device to move very confortable.

In Steelbeast what I could use it for? First for access those switches that I cannot see clearly and are behind any 3D part. I know I can put hotkeys on them or I can use the Zoom-pan function, but is so unconfortable, compared to use the Trackir with the pan axis.

Also to look to the periscopes and block windows more confortable.

I could continue hours and hours typing about the benefit of using all the axis in Trackir, like you could open the gate to VR in future, for example. But I think the most important is that anyone can block their axis movements if they would just like to leave the motion as it is right now; and others could make it better. Give freedom to users.

Also another issue I remember about trackir is in Leopard (or Abrams, don't remember quite well) when not "zoomed in" the commanders computer displays, we cannot manage the motion of the tower. We have to zoom in and then once "zoomed-Centered" in that "2D" screen, we can work with it.

If we could manage the display in the "3D-outzoom" position, then we could glance fast through block visions also in cases we need to. And all with the move of the head and the joystick to manage the tower or give orders to the shooter.

So yes, would say that now and later for sure.

Add it to the content wish list.

7 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The 16 GBytes will essentially be a collection of the maps that were shipped with previous SB Pro PE versions, converted into the new map package format (which will spare you a few days of number crunching at home and a raised electricity bill). That way you can continue to play the vast majority of scenario files ever made for Steel Beasts without having to worry about map conversion. At least that's what we think that will happen. I can't rule out that there's the one or other user who is mostly playing scenarios based on custom maps that require individual conversion. But all the scenarios that are being shipped with SB Pro PE 4.1 (and previously with 4.0, and 3.0) should work "out of the box".

I'm sorry I can't recall if its been covered before but this seems to imply that the new version will include a utility to update / convert maps in 4.1?

Just thinking of those of us who have made / customised maps that weren't "shipped with previous SB Pro PE versions".

Of course I guess you'd need to duplicate these so you'd have one set that worked in 4.1x and one that worked in Pro (or versions of Pre PE 4.023 or earlier).

Edited by Gibsonm

36 minutes ago, Panzer_Leader said:

Yes, great to see a fully modelled Kongsberg Protector in 4.1. Perfect for the ASLAV-PC.

Well lets wait and see if they've fixed the modelling.

Currently with any of the RWS's fitted neither the Driver, nor Commander can stand up (primarily because the RWS is mounted on top of the Commander's hatch). Only the basic pintle mount lets the Commander stand up.

i.e. You can't do this:

14281873409_3474fd882d_o.jpg.40f53b32c95745b18cf489ca2e703f29.jpg

Or this:

14468497655_8bec3799fd_o.thumb.jpg.06a3bfd4b0245a9ebe43f145b4c55197.jpg

Example scenario:

ASLAV PC RWS 4_023.sce

Unless my copy is "special" if you select F7 in each of the vehicles you can only stand up (hit Q twice) in 1A and 4A, the non RWS equipped vehicles.

Edited by Gibsonm

15 minutes ago, Panzer_Leader said:

Fingers crossed. I guess a properly modelled Protector is better than a generic RWS on an ASLAV-PC even if you can’t use the hatch, assuming you have the patience to learn all its functions.

Maybe, but its negative training to only use the RWS, when normally you'd stand up, listen, use your binos, etc. to help you gain SA, and see close in to the vehicle (outside the RWS's field of view) not just sit on your backside and stare at a screen.

Anyway roll on July.

Edited by Gibsonm

Thanks for the new video! 👍

All the talking about licenses make me ask : right now I have 4.023 in Win 7, I did a dual boot option here installing Windows 10 in another SSD "for the future" and compatibility with new stuff. Please can I keep installed 4.023 (Win 7) and then install the new version (July) using the same codemeter USB in my Win 10 SSD? When all goes nice (hope so) I will uninstall 4.023 and start playing with Win 10 (but a little later for compare the two versions, FPS and all that...) . Maybe the codemeter will only have the latest license making 4.023 "obsolete" Thanks!

47 minutes ago, Vikingo said:

Thanks for the new video! 👍

All the talking about licenses make me ask : right now I have 4.023 in Win 7, I did a dual boot option here installing Windows 10 in another SSD "for the future" and compatibility with new stuff. Please can I keep installed 4.023 (Win 7) and then install the new version (July) using the same codemeter USB in my Win 10 SSD? When all goes nice (hope so) I will uninstall 4.023 and start playing with Win 10 (but a little later for compare the two versions, FPS and all that...) . Maybe the codemeter will only have the latest license making 4.023 "obsolete" Thanks!

You can retain both (each has a license on the USB stick).

I have 4.010, 4.019 and 4.023 on the same machine (I used to have more but archived them to reclaim space).

The Codemeter stick looks like this:

1572101421_USBstick.thumb.png.75fde1d41bdc53be23a8ebf56129d654.png

There are valid licenses on the stick for 2.4X, 2.5X, 2.6X, 3.0X and 4.0X

Edited by Gibsonm

20 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The earth's surface is ~149 million km²; with a 78cm mesh and 16 bit per mesh post that would be approximately 444 Terabytes. Even with 90% compression efficiency we'd still talk about 4 Terabytes, so... no.

Coming black to this point quickly.

You could reduce that number by 0.66%

As most of the Earth's surface is covered with water, and tanks do not make very good water craft.

Yes, some of them float, but it's more like controlled sinking.