Ssnake

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Those 70% ocean surface I culled right from the start. Look it up. :)

Also, 0.66% is a pretty small amount. ;)

"Land Surface" might be better terminlogoy, gah, can't spell.

Bah, 66%.

Decimal places, never been my strength.

3 hours ago, Vikingo said:

Thanks for support Gibsonm! So I will keep all the versions here B| The more tanks the better ^_^

Just be careful though as some resources overlap / are shared.

e.g. a scenario from say 2.654 that used a given map that is then replaced / upgrade in 4.1x may no longer work as its looking for the earlier map that was likely overwritten in the later installation.

Similarly a Tutorial mission that has been upgraded will likely now no longer run in an earlier version.

Caveat Emptor / YMMV.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
4 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

@Ssnake which maps are in the map pack?

"A lot."

All the maps that got installed with SB Pro PE 4.0, plus those that we identified which were part of scenarios that are part of the 4.0 installation (with their embedded map data that we could identify). Community-owned map collections or uploads here to SteelBeasts.com are not part of it. The goal is that you can install SB Pro PE 4.1, run the map installer, and then play every tutorial, and every scenario that can be found in "Scenarios" (not "My Scenarios"...) without having to touch the map conversion tools.

I cannot rule out that there will be the odd exception to that rule, but that's the current development goal.

Ah RAAF Police, etc.

Are they considered Crewman or Dismounts?

If dismounts, can we now have different camo for various dismounts on the same side (e.g. Assume these are on "Blue". Can there also be Mech Inf on "Blue" who have different camouflage)?

Or do we still need the Mech Inf to be on "Blue" and these guys on an allied "Green" side so that they work together but have different uniforms, to stop everyone have the same troop camouflage applied to them?

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

We have implemented an AI change to exempt all civilian vehicles from enemy fire even if they belong to a hostile party. This vehicle is the exception from the exception (because "ACAB", or something; if you don't want them to draw fire, make them neutral or allied). It's a first step to add non-military, non-irregular combatants to the mix. One step at a time...

• Members
5 hours ago, CalAB said:

Regarding the map conversion tool. Does it have the ability to repair or replace “snags”? Example: A large crevice at the extreme side of a map that drops off to infinity. 

Right now, this would have to be addressed on the source data side. Eventually we'll add "digital putty" to the tool set, but not for this version.

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

We have implemented an AI change to exempt all civilian vehicles from enemy fire even if they belong to a hostile party.

some of the vehicles classified as civilian in the mission editor are combatants like the technicals and the truck based twin ZSU-23 cannons; i would assume these are exempt or are classified differently.

at the same time wouldn't that mean that potential IED vehicles and civilian vehicles carrying regular or guerilla combatants could maneuver around and inflict damage as they pleased?

Edited by Captain_Colossus

'only AI behavior' has significant implications if you extrapolate what that would mean.  as i think of it, this would break a lot of existing scenarios and would place limitations on the simulation because it would create

a gap in the combatant list of irregulars/regulars/special forces/guerillas/militias using civilian vehicles. it may make for safer civilian passage, but that the same time, that would seem to break the current behavior to do that

That's how SB used to work back in 2.6. In 3.0 it was changed so that you'd have to add a new side that was neutral to get the same behavior. Some kind of ROE control that can change during a scenario might work, ( Attack civilians if event "Commit genocide" is true... 😛 ).

Edited by Rotareneg

5 hours ago, Captain_Colossus said:

'only AI behavior' has significant implications if you extrapolate what that would mean.  as i think of it, this would break a lot of existing scenarios and would place limitations on the simulation because it would create

a gap in the combatant list of irregulars/regulars/special forces/guerillas/militias using civilian vehicles. it may make for safer civilian passage, but that the same time, that would seem to break the current behavior to do that

I think we'll just need to wait and see how its been implemented.

I suspect a 4x4 with a HMG on it will not be defined as "civilian".

Perhaps "civilian" has been defined as a vehicle not carrying a weapon, IED or combatants? In that case a sedan with "fighters" on board might be shot at by the AI, but one with real civilians wont.

Similarly I suspect you'll be able to set the "open fire if ..." parameter to in include an event / condition whereby a given vehicle is identified as the VBIED or similar HVT.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

The main point was that AI was opening fire on "hostile", non-armed cars even if the driver and passengers (if any) were unarmed. So it was impossible to have VBIEDs on the enemy side that would mix with other civilian cars from a neutral side. AI would always identify them with their witch-o-meter even if humans could not - clearly not an ideal solution.

Also, our AI will now bypass vehicles that block a lane (especially critical on bridges), and no longer freak out when passing a parked car. In the next video you'll see a vehicle on a route on the exact edge of a lake, so they're no longer extremely water-shy, just like they won't fall accidentally into wadis anymore.

At the same time high-res terrain obstacles will still lead to embarrassment, no doubt.

On 6/14/2019 at 9:53 PM, Ssnake said:
• USB "Map Stick", printed version 4.1 user manual: $29.50 (after preorder phase)

Question, is there a preorder price for this bundle? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the previews, BTW. The hi-res environment looks great and I’m looking forward to the ACRV and MLRS.