SB Pro PE 4.1 New Features (and stuff)

Ssnake

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you confirm those two packets of traffic passing on the road were under AI control?

I'm also interested to see if craters created at the start of a scenario (via IED, etc.) would eventually be covered by the falling snow at some point in a scenario?

Edited by Gibsonm

19 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Can you confirm those two packets of traffic passing on the road were under AI control?

No I can‘t, I thought they are under AI control, because these vehicles are not playable (crewable). Maybe I am completely wrong?

6 minutes ago, Hoover said:

No I can‘t, I thought they are under AI control, because these vehicles are not playable (crewable). Maybe I am completely wrong?

Sorry, please don't take this the wrong way but the question was meant for Ssnake as the author of the video.

Non crewable vehicles can still be steered from F8 view. :)

I'm almost sure that the answer will be that they were under AI control and following routes (based on dealing with him and the team for over a decade and a half), but I'd just like to be certain.

And we have confirmation:

1 minute ago, Ssnake said:

Oh yes, absolutely.

Thanks very much. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
41 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I'm also interested to see if craters created at the start of a scenario (via IED, etc.) would eventually be covered by the falling snow at some point in a scenario?

I'm sorry if I created the impression that snow would build up in a Steel Beasts scenario now. It doesn't. I spliced scenes from different scenarios into one video, to illustrate that with deeper snow the surface loses more and more detail.

Beyond that, I haven't tested this idea. I'm not sure if a scenario saved in progress that has craters in it will actually preserve those craters (yet). That's certainly where we want to go eventually, but it's all so new that I haven't figured out all the details myself, yet. But if the craters were preserved, then Yes, with deep snow they would lose the visible contours (they would however remain unchanged as far as the actual terrain profile is concerned, snow is but a cover blanket on top of everything).

Fully understand.

I was envisaging at some point vehicles / personnel blundering into holes that subsequent snow falls had concealed as minor undulations.

Not really crucial for me and where I am :) but figured it maybe of interest to designers of European based scenarios.

Something to test in a few weeks I guess. ;)

• Members
1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

Non crewable vehicles can still be steered from F8 view. :)

Not while you're using the camera animation function. That can be started only when NOT controlling any unit (tethered view, or free-flight camera). And even then you could control only one of the two platoons. ;)

Nice, the suspension looks to be more completely modeled now with the wheels and swing arms pivoting at the torsion bar instead of the wheels only moving vertically like they do in 4.0. Also noticed the mini map had terrain shading and water.

• Members
1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Beyond that, I haven't tested this idea. I'm not sure if a scenario saved in progress that has craters in it will actually preserve those craters (yet).

Now I have tested it.

1. Save in progress doesn't retain craters (yet), as suspected. That'll have to wait until a future version
  2. In deep snow, craters are formed visibly (=from the top of the snow surface)

So, for the moment there won't be "surprise craters" hidden under a deceptively serene surface.

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Not while you're using the camera animation function. That can be started only when NOT controlling any unit (tethered view, or free-flight camera). And even then you could control only one of the two platoons. ;)

Camera animation function? Is that new as well?

• Members

The camera animation window was introduced with 4.0, but one or two important features were missing - especially the feature to set up the camera path in the 3D scene while the mission was paused. This will now be possible.

But you can already experiment with it in 4.0; run a mission in Test mode (=from within the Mission Editor), go to the 3D view (not the external observer's position, use the tethered view, or the free-flight camera instead), then hit Alt+Space to bring up the dialog. Move around as you want and adjust the zoom level, use the + button to set a key frame. Hit Alt+Space again to watch the result.

You can still activate triggers in camera mode.