SB Pro PE 4.1 New Features (and stuff)

Ssnake

• Members

Well, usually I try to, but then I found myself in a race with Grenny. ;)

So, this time the bulk of relevant new developments has been revealed. There's still odds and end, and what's more important, I might find the time to work on the one or other tutorial related to the new data structure of maps, and what it means for certain aspects of the user interface. But I suppose I should work on the release notes first. About 104 pages of changelog have accumulated. I can condense that to maybe 80 pages by reducing the font size to 9.5 pt and there are probably a number of entries that are entirely irrelevant, but it's going to take a while.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

So, this time the bulk of relevant new developments has been revealed. There's still odds and end, and what's more important, I might find the time to work on the one or other tutorial related to the new data structure of maps, and what it means for certain aspects of the user interface. But I suppose I should work on the release notes first. About 104 pages of changelog have accumulated. I can condense that to maybe 80 pages by reducing the font size to 9.5 pt and there are probably a number of entries that are entirely irrelevant, but it's going to take a while.

Stop Procrastinating!

:P

22 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

All good.

I am more then happy to pay for the update as it stands.

56 minutes ago, Stratos said:

Can I ask when will we get a complete feature list for the new upgrade? Thanks.

Well from above:

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I guess the key statement is "but it's going to take a while".

My guess is probably immediately prior to when its released, so the maximum number of bugs are squashed and Ssnake has had time to insert the usual range of witty comments.

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Uh, increased frame rates?

Yes. Today the graphics seems fairly driven by the CPU and not by the graphic cards. Having a 2080TI sitting almost idle with the game having framerates around 30-40fps when ramping up the graphic details to max.

There are ways to fairly easy clone things like trees to render them with different LODs based on their distance which has a significant boost to framerates. Sbpro seems to suffer from adding more details require much more CPU which seems a bit odd. 

• Members

You can put all your maps there. The map data can now be stored on any folder you want (but must still be in the same location/parent folder). For the program files you can choose an alternate path during installation. There will however be some files still residing on C:\, most notably the "program data" parts (less the bulk of the data, the map files), and then there's the Personal files (like "My Scenarios") which would go wherever your Documents folder is.

• Members
6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Uh, increased frame rates?

4 hours ago, inexus said:

Yes. Today the graphics seems fairly driven by the CPU and not by the graphic cards.

Well, what I meant to say that we did increase framerates over version 4.0, as hinted at in the first "Finnish Summer Day" video.

29 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

You can put all your maps there. The map data can now be stored on any folder you want (but must still be in the same location/parent folder).

I was looking forward to being able to install 4.1 on my SSD while installing the map files elsewhere on a secondary drive. I guess I read too much into the installer and map files being available separately. 🙂

• Members
On 6/30/2019 at 7:22 PM, Ssnake said:

I suppose I should work on the release notes first. About 104 pages of changelog have accumulated. I can condense that to maybe 80 pages by reducing the font size to 9.5 pt and there are probably a number of entries that are entirely irrelevant, but it's going to take a while.

Some observations...

We all can't thank the beta testers enough. Especially testing regression errors from refactoring multiple times until a bug bug fix can be verified is mind numbing. With that background, my complaint that it's mind numbing to go through the raw changelog is probably petty-minded although I've been on this for a full week now any maybe halfway though. Attentive readers of the Release Notes will note that a lot of bugs are just listed by their bug numbers (which means you never experienced them in the previous release version).

And then of course you will probably not see gems like this one:

Command line arguments, if specified via the registry (in the 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\eSim Games\Configuration'
key), can now also be saved as REG_EXPAND_SZ strings. This allows to use environmental variables, for example
'%COMPUTERNAME' used as value for a 'mpcallsign' argument..

Ugh. I don't even know what to do with it. How do you summarize that? Should it be mentioned at all? Is this the incantation to summon the terrible Yog-Sothoth from his unholy outer dimension? Or is it one of those wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey instructions that are essential, but only meant for people with a sonic screwdriver.

So, chances are that you won't get to read a lot of entries in the Release Notes at all that are contained in the changelog, for the sake of clarity. But this is why it takes so long. I can handle this only for three times three hours a day, and need breaks from this. :o

On 6/26/2019 at 11:37 PM, Rotareneg said:

Nice, the suspension looks to be more completely modeled now with the wheels and swing arms pivoting at the torsion bar instead of the wheels only moving vertically like they do in 4.0. Also noticed the mini map had terrain shading and water.

Question for Ssnake

(in between the work on the release notes ...):

AFAIK a lot of work was done on a new suspension model, see SimHQ forum.

Could you explain a bit more if and why the new terrain made this necessary ?

Guess this was not done just for looks.

IOW if the suspension model hadn’t been changed, how would this coped or not with the new terrain ?

Thx !