Ssnake

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Even if version 4.1 isn't really about new vehicles, maybe I should still post this summary:

Red arrows denote units that changed their parent menu.

Yellow arrows denote new unit types, or those with substantial changes.

spacer.png

It's "most of the units" because I didn't want to add the plethora of (mostly civilian) characters.

12 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The map installer will be made available for download (and installation) on Thursday, too.

A potentially daft question but better to ask than "assume" and make an ass out of you and me:

If we download this when it arrives (pre 4.156) and install it, will it adversely effect an existing 4.023 (or other installation)?

I think I understand that the new maps will have a new file structure but can "C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts" co-exist?

Am concerned for two reasons:

1. If downloading and installing the map installer "today" will mess with the existing installation of 4.023 prior to Monday's release of 4.156?

2. If I'll be able to maintain existing "SB Pro" versions on the same machine as SB Pro PE 4.156  and beyond?

• Members
1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

If we download this when it arrives (pre 4.156) and install it, will it adversely effect an existing 4.023 (or other installation)?

I haven't tested it personally, but I can't think of a reason why it would.

I think I understand that the new maps will have a new file structure but can "C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts" co-exist?

The new map packages are completely independent of previous installations' ProgramData, unless you insist on instslling them into C:\ProgramDate\eSimGames\maps (and even then they will still not disturb the old files)

1. If downloading and installing the map installer "today" will mess with the existing installation of 4.023 prior to Monday's release of 4.156?

2. If I'll be able to maintain existing "SB Pro" versions on the same machine as SB Pro PE 4.156  and beyond?

1. No
  2. "Yes, but" ... legacy scenarios or map files that you open with the new version and then save in the new format will, of course, not be accessible by 4.023

• Moderators

Yes, in my experience you can install 4.1 and have 4.0 installed, it has been this way on my (and Beta tester's) machines for years and we managed to play TGIF. ;)

Obviously you have to install it into a different folder name though.  But the only time you run into problems is if you uninstall a version of SB *after* you install a new version. You always want to uninstall old version before you install the latest version, because otherwise you will end up missing some common files.

16 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The 10th and final official video tomorrow "afternoon" (GMT+2; about the same time as yesterday).

The map installer will be made available for download (and installation) on Thursday, too.

Will I be able to install the maps without the 4.1 license whilst I wait for the switch on my order? 

2 hours ago, Volcano said:

Yes, in my experience you can install 4.1 and have 4.0 installed, it has been this way on my (and Beta tester's) machines for years and we managed to play TGIF. ;)

Obviously you have to install it into a different folder name though.  But the only time you run into problems is if you uninstall a version of SB *after* you install a new version. You always want to uninstall old version before you install the latest version, because otherwise you will end up missing some common files.

Thanks. That was my suspicion.

I have several copies of SB Pro and SB Pro PE on my machine, each in individual folders and they currently happily co-exist.

I just wanted to confirm that the new approach would not endanger that going foward.

No doubt as SB Pro moves to a similar construct things will become easier, not streamlined.