SB Pro PE 4.1 New Features (and stuff)

Ssnake

1 hour ago, Rotareneg said:

The map size limit is one of the features that separate the personal edition from the classroom edition.

I'm guessing the size limit hasn't changed since 2011 even though PCs have changed significantly :)

Would it be something we could request as an 'upgrade' if possible from esim? I'm wondering if it is something other people would be interested in as well? I find the map size somewhat small. 

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, inexus said:

I'm guessing the size limit hasn't changed since 2011 even though PCs have changed significantly :)

Would it be something we could request as an 'upgrade' if possible from esim? I'm wondering if it is something other people would be interested in as well? I find the map size somewhat small. 

I also wish we could upgrade that somehow, but I'm afraid it has nothing to do with PC performance but more with product market positioning. Although in the PE version we can 'open' a scenario larger than 22km, its not the PE's duty to be able to create scenarios of that magnitude. The PE version is the soldier's homework software, while the Pro is intended to be the classroom software.

Although I generally agree that I would love to be able to create larger scenarios and also have more functionalities within my PE copy (like map making tools), I disagree that the current map size limitation is small. It's more than enough for up to battalion sized scenarios.

1 hour ago, inexus said:

Its not a hardware limitation.

Its a function of the different versions.

And 20 x 20Km is a bit small?

Edited by Gibsonm

7 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Its not a hardware limitation.

Its a function of the different versions.

And 20 x 20Km is a bit small?

From what I can see in the mission editor I can only choose roughly 6x6km. I would be happy to learn if there is away to extend this :)

SS_20_56_07.jpg

39 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Click on the edge of the box and it will resize. Just like you can move the box itself, left, right, up, down.

I think you'll find that just the initial "placeholder".

Thank you. Much better now! Now I cross fingers for better fps tomorrow :)

1 hour ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Is there any way to fix things like this? Paved roads don't normally have undulation like this in real life. 

weird.png

I am assuming you have never driven in Northern Maine in the US.  You need a lifted truck to not bottom out from Late Feb. to May.  Frost heaves and depressions are very common and the bane of every town's public works department.

btw, that one looks nowhere near as bad as some of the heaves by my Mom's house outside Fryeberg, Maine.  If you went over them at more than 40 mph, anyone in the back seat would get their stomach in their throat.  The local colloquialism is a "yes, ma'am".

Edited by thewood
yammering

6 hours ago, inexus said:

From what I can see in the mission editor I can only choose roughly 6x6km. I would be happy to learn if there is away to extend this :)

I know the game is complicated and parts of it are a little obscure, but come on...this is right straight out of the manual on the first pages of setting up the map.

"After a map has been chosen, the
map will appear with a bounding box. Drag the edges of the bounding box to
select a subset of the map for the mission, or drag the entire selection to
move the subset. Map subsets can range in size from 6 km x 6 km to the
entire area of the original map.
Hint: The Personal Edition is limited to selecting map sizes of 22 x 22 km² or
less. Scenarios created with the classroom version of Steel Beasts may
still be edited, even if they exceed the 484km² limit."

1 hour ago, thewood said:

I know the game is complicated and parts of it are a little obscure, but come on...this is right straight out of the manual on the first pages of setting up the map.

"After a map has been chosen, the
map will appear with a bounding box. Drag the edges of the bounding box to
select a subset of the map for the mission, or drag the entire selection to
move the subset. Map subsets can range in size from 6 km x 6 km to the
entire area of the original map.
Hint: The Personal Edition is limited to selecting map sizes of 22 x 22 km² or
less. Scenarios created with the classroom version of Steel Beasts may
still be edited, even if they exceed the 484km² limit."

"Read the Manual"?

You must be new here. ;)

Just sometimes, you gotta say something.  And there is a difference between having to scour the wiki, manual, searching forums, and assorted docs to find an answer, and having it be in the middle of the first page of the chapter in the manual on the topic.  That's when I shake my head.  Especially because it went on for multiple posts. 

The roads are now being projected on the terrain rather than floating above it (as they did from version 2.251 until 4.023). To that extent they follow the terrain closer than ever, maybe "too much" insofar as we haven't yet found a way to smoothen paved roads from underlying terrain jitter (in the case of LIDAR based maps; most maps of course are still the converted old style, so the "pot hole syndrome" doesn't manifest).

Not solved yet. 

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

You can always try the new road leveling feature. It has its own problems, but it's well suited to create smooth surfaces. The problem are then all the intersections. You'll have to decide what's worse.

This feature applies to the Delta map? Or will it require a new version of the map?

Thanks

• Members

Any new variant of a map can be a delta map, or a base map.

• Deltas require less storage space, but come with a dependency on their base map, and this map package's custom texture set (if any)
  • Base maps are independent, can have their own unique texture sets, require more disk space

Great, I just saw the post with the SB installer - downloading now!

So, I tried to keep up with the info regarding the installation procedure and I'm pretty clear about the options (also read thru the release notes).

In order to get the best performance, do I

1. install everything on my C:\ SSD?

2. install game on C:\ SSD and maps on an internal SATA (to conserve SSD-space for other apps & windows etc)?

3. install game on C:\ SSD and maps on an external USB-connected HD (NTFS) (to conserve space on my SATA)?

4. install game and maps on internal SATA?

I guess 1) is the optimal choise, but would there be a difference in game performance between 2) and 3)?

Would 4) be a bad choise if I have space for the game on the SSD? Or is it better for the maps to be on an SSD?

Many questions, but I hope you can help me save some testing times based on your combined experiences!

Happy battles!

• Members

Without knowing your data transfer rates it's impossible to give solid advice.

The whole installation of Steel Beasts including all maps will consume about 19 GByte disk space. I say, install it all on the SSD if you have enough disk space left. Next best option, the SATA drive for the maps. If 14 GByte map data aree too much for your SATA drive, you'll need a bigger drive.

Yes, I'll probably try all on the SSD for a start. The problem might araise if more maps see daylight, but it's always possible to re-shuffle the datalocations.

Appreciate your swift reply, Ssnake! I might even make some benchmark tests between the options listed above - to guide others while at it. Great times ahead, thanks for the hard work!

6 hours ago, Ingolf said:

install everything on my C:\ SSD?

I try to avoid polluting my bootdrive with big applications. 

My reasons:

- The diskspace windows needs grows all the time, window gets fatter update by update. Some updates are so big, that they need several GBs free on your bootdrive to get installed.

- I backup my bootdrive with an imaging program like true image. The fatter the bootdrive is the longer a backup and a restore take and the bigger your backup space needs to be. With each gigabyte the probability you backup often decreases.

Yes, Hoover, that is my general polycy too - keep the SSD for general machinery, But at the moment I just set it all up on SSD. Feels nice in-game. Will probably switch to "normal" locations down the road. My gaming rig is not dead serious considering the data on it, so I can just sweep it clean any day. Thanks for your input though!

Cheers!