Jump to content
Ssnake

SB Pro PE 4.1 New Features (and stuff)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, drcancerman said:

Fascinating. And how one, such as us, players would go to obtain a LIDAR of a place, is it too expensive? In regards to roads, would OpenStreet Map be out of the question? I assume, an integration like that would help you guys and us, the players, with a more accurate map, including... prettier curves! haha 

On that note, that feature of softening road edges is most welcome! Giving us the choice to use or not use such a feature is always the best choice!

Thanks for the explanation!!

LIDAR data is more and more available. You can already find data available for the US, for free. Also, with a drone and camera, one can also DIY "LIDAR" scans of their own regions with open source apps. If you think about it, it has imense potential.

Edited by stormrider_sp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

...and this is where our map server, and the Map Tools, will come in handy. The Map Tools will also allow you to upload selected maps to the public map server. That way you will be able to share your work results. We may need to find a way to somehow regulate this and we cannot guarantee that our server will work as a substitute to your own backup. But in principle this is how it can be done.

Yes. It has great potential. During the last few years, I felt a bit of difficulty in find the "latests" maps, because people were just not sharing them in the official downloads sections of steelbeasts.com, but instead, keeping them in their own forums, which, most of them time, offered at least language barriers and only made the data more difficult to find. One really had to know where to look for.

Edited by stormrider_sp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious about the "publish" feature, can I remove a published map when no longer needed (e.g. put it "up" for Rolling Thunder '19 and then remove it)?

 

Or is it permanently published?

 

But I guess I can wait for the manual.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I'm curious about the "publish" feature, can I remove a published map when no longer needed (e.g. put it "up" for Rolling Thunder '19 and then remove it)?

 

Or is it permanently published?

"Publishing"  just makes  map package read-only,   compresses  elevation data and makes package usable in  offline and network sessions.

Edited by Jartsev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jartsev said:

"Publishing"  just makes  map package read-only,   compresses  elevation data and makes package usable in  offline and network sessions.

Yes but what happens if I want to remove it?

 

AIUI, I need to publish / upload maps for others to use them.

 

If that map is only meant for a specific event, how do I "un publish" / delete / remove it after the event?

 

Or is it a one way trip and uploaded / published maps are permanently available (in which case I may need to come up with a different way to share them to specific people for specific events).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gibsonm said:

Yes but what happens if I want to remove it?

 

AIUI, I need to publish / upload maps for others to use them.

 

If that map is only meant for a specific event, how do I "un publish" / delete / remove it after the event?

 

Or is it a one way trip and uploaded / published maps are permanently available (in which case I may need to come up with a different way to share them to specific people for specific events).

 

 

Yes, this one-way trip, since you cannot affect content  stored on other person's computer, so you cannot  remotely make map unusable by anyone who already   have it  on his/her  rig. Bit other case if map is uploaded to some  map server- then yes, sure it can be removed to prevent further downloads,  but the drill is not yet established. 

 

So in other words, this aspect of the map handling is not much  different from 4.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Jartsev said:

Yes, this one-way trip, since you cannot affect content  stored on other person's computer, so you cannot  remotely make map unusable by anyone who already   have it  on his/her  rig. Bit other case if map is uploaded to some  map server- then yes, sure it can be removed to prevent further downloads,  but the drill is not yet established. 

 

So in other words, this aspect of the map handling is not much  different from 4.0.

Well I'd suggest its pretty different.

 

If I embed a map in a 4.023 scenario and send it to one person, one person gets it (assuming that person doesn't "on share" the scenario).

 

If I upload a map in 4.1XX then limitless people can theoretically get it.

 

I guess the alternative is to publish the map somewhere else (Drop box, whatever) then send the one person that link (accepting that they will need to manually download and install it) and that way achieve the same as what can be done now in 4.023?

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Well I'd suggest its pretty different.

 

If I embed a map in a 4.023 scenario and send it to one person, one person gets it (assuming that person doesn't "on share" the scenario).

 

If I upload a map in 4.1XX then limitless people can theoretically get it.

 

I guess the alternative is to publish the map somewhere else (Drop box, whatever) then send the one person that link (accepting that they will need to manually download and install it) and that way achieve the same as what can be done now in 4.023?

 

Yes, this may  work. But, strictly hypothetically, may be in the future some additional features like prevention of  making copies etc are needed to be implemented, but it is unclear, if this  should be available in Personal Edition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The recipient of a map downloaded in that way will need to use SB or the Map downloader to "refresh" their map folder or SB will not see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

The recipient of a map downloaded in that way will need to use SB or the Map downloader to "refresh" their map folder or SB will not see it.

 

Even if they put it in the same folder it came from (i.e. same folder path on the Sender machine as the Recipient machine)?

 

The suggested sequence I'm suggesting is.

  1. Manually download the map (using the DropBox or other link).
  2. Move it to the same location as it occupied on the Sender machine.
  3. Then open the scenario that needs the map in question.

I'm not suggesting they can just dump it on the Desktop or some other random location. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jartsev said:

Yes, this may  work. But, strictly hypothetically, may be in the future some additional features like prevention of  making copies etc are needed to be implemented, but it is unclear, if this  should be available in Personal Edition. 

Understood.

 

Perhaps when / if its considered for the Personal edition, we can look at the ability to manage "our" maps?

 

Certainly for the Professional Edition (likely out of scope for here) I wont want to share maps with other nations (for hopefully evident reasons), so I sincerely hope there are options to:

  • Limit who see what (e.g. ABCA access only)?
  • Access a dedicated map server, hosted by eSim but just for Australia?
  • Run our own map server?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Run our own map server?

That's the plan. With this brand new map download tool you  will be able to  create and run your own password-protected  map server, so no one without proper credentials will  be able to access it.

Edited by Jartsev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The release notes mention that some texture sets have been updated. Are there any changes to support higher resolution textures for units? 

 

Also, can the overhead view be used in the mission editor? 

Edited by inexus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are working out a system to submit maps here and have them posted on the public map server for public consumption.  The map tool does not send height data directly to the map server to share with everyone, its intended to mainly work in the other direction - distribution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. A Steel Beasts map, if "published" in the Steel Beasts context, is simply locked against further editing (but you can save it under a new name as a delta map, and then modify the terrain there (up to the point where you "publish" that map, too). So, in this context, "publiched" equals "locked against further change" - no more, no less.
  2. A "published" Steel Beasts map package uploaded (=published) to the public map server would be largely out of your control, you can't simply recall it without access to the server itself, naturally.
  3. If you want to retain a minimum of control you could - in the future, not right now - set up your own map server (e.g. if you have a private ftp account, or cloud space) and tell people the login credentials so they can add it to their local configuration file - in the future, not right now. This would mean that the Steel Beasts Map Downloader (whether the external tool or the Steel Beasts integrated Windows service) would query not only our map server for the map UID of your scenario, but also your private map server, and people would then download it from there.

Needless to say, once downloaded from the server you no longer have control insofar as all participants in your network session MUST have downloaded your map (because possession of it is the prerequisite for participation), so one or two dozen local copies will have been created by that point. But after the event you could delete the map from YOUR server which may or may not curb further distribution (until someone uploads his copy to another map server).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies and clarifying a few things! 
Downloaded the map files, installed them and now I'm just waiting for the 4.1 license and the release of simulator itself :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ok.

 

So prior to me setting up a FTP server to manage “my” maps for PE, will the process outlined above (and quoted below) work?

 

The sequence I'm suggesting is:

  1. Manually download the map (using the DropBox or other link).
  2. Move it to the same location as it occupied on the Sender machine.
  3. Then open the scenario that needs the map in question.

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

2a refresh the maps folder using Map downloader or SB map editor

And the recipient needs to do that - yes?

 

just preparing some instructions for Rolling Thunder 19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2019 at 6:18 AM, Ssnake said:

That would be the kind of a novelty feature that I would most certainly announce as a major feature.

 

So, No. Sorry.

 

Of course, there are changes in the Mission and Map Editors. I will describe them in the Release notes, possibly demonstrate the one or other in a tutorial video.

Great. I could only find videos from 2011 that describes how the editor works. Is anybody aware of anything newer than these?

 

 

BTW - is there any way to create larger map areas? I'm assuming the limits may have been done based on existing memory constraints? Now that people often got 16-32GB it would be great if larger scenarios could be created. 

Edited by inexus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The map size limit is one of the features that separate the personal edition from the classroom edition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...