Jump to content
Ssnake

SB Pro PE 4.1 New Features (and stuff)

Recommended Posts

Just now, Ssnake said:

With 155mm M107 HE rounds, the largest fragments can perforate more than 50mm RHA equivalent, sufficient for punching through an M113 even with hatches closed. Keeping the hatches open is, of course, even more dangerous.

Well if there is anything SB has taught me as a humble Civvy is:

"Don't get caught in an Arty strike."

 

And if you are:

"You're doing it wrong"

 

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hedgehog said:

Well if there is anything SB has taught me as a humble Civvy is:

"Don't get caught in an Arty strike."

 

And if you are:

"You're doing it wrong"

 

:P

And once you have dug your first shell scrap on Ops, after the 1st rocket or mortar lands in your harbour area it's then dug waaay deeper then what the manual says it should be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking some "amenities" might be able to be added to the M577 and tents via clever use of texture modding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Ssnake said:

With 155mm M107 HE rounds, the largest fragments can perforate more than 50mm RHA equivalent (almost 500 fragments will perforate more than 15mm RHAe), sufficient for punching through an M113 even with hatches closed. Keeping the hatches open is, of course, even more dangerous.

 

In this case, Sharon's forehead had been slammed into the M113 interior when his APC was driving too fast into a pothole while evading Egyptian artillery.

 

Aside of how close the strike is, artillery effectiveness also depends on the type of soil, assuming direct action fuse is used. In the IDF it was well known that the soft Sinai desert sands decrease artillery effectiveness, while in the Golan the basalt rock fragments can be as deadly as the shell fragments.

 

BTW, some war veterans claim that the halftrack steel armor was more reliable than the M113 aluminium armor against artillery fragments, despite being thinner.

Edited by Iarmor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this info makes me pause and consider the new terrain engine. If the map is mostly soft earth I wonder if fragmentation will be reduced, if it’s modelled to that level of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are certain limits we have to adhere to, like that we can't have a detonation point of origin under the surface. Per our 1998 design specifications, contact with the surface ends the life of a missile (and all fragments are "missiles" in that context). So if we'd let a round dive below the surface, no matter how little, all fragments would be immediately removed from all further collision calculations.

The default settings are that a surface explosion will happen at 180% of the round caliber diameter (e.g. for a 155mm shell, 27.9 centimeters above ground).

 

The volume of the crater however would scale (inversely) with the ground hardness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You also have to have a look at time steps. Up until now in SB Pro render cycle and simulatio cycle are in lockstep. We simulate a bit, then we render the result. Can be bad for frame rate, of course (but keep in mind that SB pro was intended for the reinforced company level, not the brigade level for which is it applied on a more or less regular level these days). And in this case 16.6667 milliseconds is the highest time resolution you can hope for (typically you'd get 20...40ms, however).

 

Delayed fuze incurs 5...15 millisends of delay before the round goes off. That's clearly below the time step resolution, so it certainly cannot be applied at all in an analytical fashion. That's not to say that it would be impossible to implement in SOME way but not in the naive approach of simply letting the round travel along its current vector for five more milliseconds. If you want to do that you'need to separate simulation time step from the render cycle. Next thing, you'd probably need to do away with the rule that if a missile touches the ground it gets immediately culled; rather, you'd need some model of how missiles might travel through earth for a (more or less short) distance, and how that would change their energy and the trajectory vector.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and we can only speculate how that would affect overall performance (not positively, so much I can say).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

You also have to have a look at time steps. Up until now in SB Pro render cycle and simulatio cycle are in lockstep. We simulate a bit, then we render the result. Can be bad for frame rate, of course (but keep in mind that SB pro was intended for the reinforced company level, not the brigade level for which is it applied on a more or less regular level these days). And in this case 16.6667 milliseconds is the highest time resolution you can hope for (typically you'd get 20...40ms, however).

 

Delayed fuze incurs 5...15 millisends of delay before the round goes off. That's clearly below the time step resolution, so it certainly cannot be applied at all in an analytical fashion. That's not to say that it would be impossible to implement in SOME way but not in the naive approach of simply letting the round travel along its current vector for five more milliseconds. If you want to do that you'need to separate simulation time step from the render cycle. Next thing, you'd probably need to do away with the rule that if a missile touches the ground it gets immediately culled; rather, you'd need some model of how missiles might travel through earth for a (more or less short) distance, and how that would change their energy and the trajectory vector.

 

16 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

...and we can only speculate how that would affect overall performance (not positively, so much I can say).

 

Yes I understand the RTI and FOM type issues.

 

I think for "most" defensive positions it probably doesn't matter that much, and I suspect a work around might be achieved through events, etc. to replicate the effect.

 

We don't really need Grand Slam, etc. simulated in real time and the larger JDAMs can be done via the new IED model and some work by the scenario designer on the conditions for them being detonated.

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I have a quick question, if I buy the 1 year subscription now, will my game be automatically updated after version 4.1 is released (without further cost)? Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, stuvak234 said:

Hello, I have a quick question, if I buy the 1 year subscription now, will my game be automatically updated after version 4.1 is released (without further cost)? Thank you

Yes. Time limited subscription are always up to date and don't need upgrades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stuvak234 said:

Hello, I have a quick question, if I buy the 1 year subscription now, will my game be automatically updated after version 4.1 is released (without further cost)? Thank you

The license will work for both versions (and for version 3.0 ...) but i will not "automatically update". You would still need to uninstall version 4.0, then download and install version 4.1. The software license will not be affected by the uninstallation process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

Is there a list of the included features for 4.1 upgrade? Both features and vehicles will be amazing. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stratos said:

Hi!

Is there a list of the included features for 4.1 upgrade? Both features and vehicles will be amazing. Thanks.

Not really, but theres bits and pieces of info around. I'd say this thread is the place to watch for any news on new features and stuff ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stratos said:

Is there a list of the included features for 4.1 upgrade?

The Release Notes, once made public, will traditionally contain all such information in a single document.

We compile that document more or less at the last minute however, so that it also covers the latest changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on a video currently.

Some screenshots...3P ammo in delay mode vs BTR and troops inside a building

SS_19_09_08.jpg

SS_19_09_15.jpg

SS_19_10_21.jpg

SS_19_10_28.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grenny said:

Working on a video currently.

Some screenshots...3P ammo in delay mode vs BTR and troops inside a building

SS_19_09_08.jpg

SS_19_09_15.jpg

SS_19_10_21.jpg

SS_19_10_28.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to showcase new features Grenny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, I'm back from a week-long business trip and will start working on the next video soon. Will still take a few days, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good screenshots, finally a real use for the thousands firing modes of the CV-90.

I see the AAR is showing what i asume is impact speed,is this a new additional info for all type of rounds?

Edited by Colebrook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grenny said:

Working on a video currently.

Some screenshots...3P ammo in delay mode vs BTR and troops inside a building

If video is not made yet maybe you can do it with SB in english, so we can undertand better what are you doing and the buttons you are cliking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Grenny said:

Video link

 

Nice improvements / enhancements. Interested to see if these have been applied to "old school" natures like Canister too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...