SB PE 21:9 Ultra Wide support

Red2112

• Members

"In principle" Steel Beasts can handle pretty much any resolution that your monitor and graphics card driver support. But the GUI won't scale with that, and there may be a performance penalty at extreme resolutions.

That's then the point where I prsonally would try and choose a fullscreen mode at maybe a quarter of the monitor's native resolution (if the video driver supports that). Yes, you might see individual pixels again, and to some people that's apparently the greatest horror. But at the end of the day you'll have to find the proper balance between field of view, still being able to recognize elements of the GUI, and a usable framerate.

the problem with high resolutions is that it also affect the FOV. I have 3 monitors and in 5040x1050 resolution I have to put it at 3000x1050 more or less in windowmode, to have good FOV because more resolution, less angle of FOV.

Edited by Japo32

16 hours ago, Japo32 said:

the problem with high resolutions is that it also affect the FOV. I have 3 monitors and in 5040x1050 resolution I have to put it at 3000x1050 more or less in windowmode, to have good FOV because more resolution, less angle of FOV.

Could this be a wide aspect ratio problem with "zoom" levels?  Is there a way to set a fixed initial zoom level, something like 1.0 ?

Edited by Red2112

• Members

The field of view is defined by the aspect ratio (to avoid extreme distortions; say, you combined four 16:9 monitors into a 64:9 aspect desktop; if the vertical field of view was fixed at, say, 90°, the horizontal FOV in such a setup would need to be 640° (which makes no sense whatsoever).; rather, we limit the field of view to about 140° which is about what normal people can see, and then try to fit whatever aspect ration the user has into that general directive.

I suppose a more elaborate algorithm could be found that takes care of more or less complicated monitor arrangements (like five 16:9 aspect monitors rotated vertically for a 45:16 aspect ratio screen), but at the end of the day we have a finite amount of manpower to devote to all development tasks; to me, tweaking the UI to accommodate more or less exotic hardware configurations cannot be a priority compared to, say, the replacement of the UI framework that would later make it easier to allow for such tweaks, possibly at the end-user level where you then might be able to define certain presets. Who knows.

What I can say is that we try to make SB Pro a really good user experience for FullHD resolution (1920x1080), and that going well above that resolution is right now creating a number of difficulties where every user must decide from himself where the red lines for compromise are - frame rate, size of text and other GUI elements, field of view, etc.

A lower screen resolution definitely helps to maintain highest framerates even in difficult scenes, a benefit that shouldn't be ignored.

Thanks Ssnake.  👍

Not to complain, but since the trend of 4K TV/Monitors, more people are using them for simming/gaming. That dosen´t mean every game/sim will support such resolutions, but the trend is there.  FWIF, here´s a decent explanation for those interested in the subject...

Red

• Members

...and I have never disputed that the trend exists.

At the same time, we have to work on the underlying GUI framework first (which I have explained on numerous occasions before); without it we couldn't apply font scaling even if the lower frame rates were found acceptable by 4k+ monitor users. And it's not just the font scaling. It also applies to icons and GUI widgets, click targets, etc.; it's not something that you apply to a 20 year-old application over a weekend (or several weeks). The GUI touches everything in the code. So when you refactor GUI code, the potential for destruction (=new bugs) goes well beyond imagination. You really want to have all your ducks in a row before you attempt this.

We're doing that, but it will take a good while before you'll see results. In the meantime you'll simply have to live with the limitations as they are, I'm sorry.

well.. in other simulators what I do is extend the FOV. Usually 120º is good enough in a plane, but in a tank you have everything near you, so the 140º limit we have maybe is not good enough for those of us that have those rare configurations. Maybe if you just allow a option to extend the FOV until the limit you want it would solve the problem. So I could put 160º FOV in the 3D non-target visor views. That would give me less FPS, but that is my problem. I could find the solution best for me between performance and view.. and maybe you wouldn't need to do anything more.

Another thing you could do in future (suppose it is not in your scope) is VR. That would solve the Fov  "problem" as all in VR use more or less same configurations, and would be inmersive. Of course it is not important to simulate an exercice to be in real 3D, but we are the "fun" part of your business, and some of us never will and never want to be inside a real tank, but feel as we where INSIDE one in VR.

Another thing would be to allow the MAP and display interaction of Leopards to be manipulated in the trackir view (the cockpit one). I just wanted to leave these view options now you are making the 4.1X and maybe one of these is not too risky to be included if not in 4.1X in 4.2X

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to change the menu item background? Just to help reading them more easily in high res? I started to look around in the folders and was wondering if the background can be substituted with a plain black to help. 

Update: found it. Changed the 'steel' file in the images folder to plain white. Easier for the eyes now :)

Now if only I could change the text to be bold :) 

Edited by inexus

On 5/30/2019 at 8:33 PM, Ssnake said:

At the same time, we have to work on the underlying GUI framework first

Interesting topic. The developers of x-plane had a similar situation and are currently on the road from Open GL to vulcan (metal). They are almost there.

https://developer.x-plane.com/2016/03/what-vulkan-means-to-developers/

https://developer.x-plane.com/2019/04/vulkan-and-metal-it-runs/

8 hours ago, inexus said:

Is it possible to change the menu item background? Just to help reading them more easily in high res? I started to look around in the folders and was wondering if the background can be substituted with a plain black to help. 

Update: found it. Changed the 'steel' file in the images folder to plain white. Easier for the eyes now :)

Sure, If this is what you mean:

SS_17_13_10.thumb.jpg.71d0ec88eae23128222a45cf011e0563.jpg

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Sure, If this is what you mean:

SS_17_13_10.thumb.jpg.71d0ec88eae23128222a45cf011e0563.jpg

No, I'm referring to when you select the context sensitive menu such as give orders to engage, assault, etc. 

I run in 4K on a 43 inch monitor so it can be a bit hard to see with the 'steel' background as the text is a tiny bit small :) now I'm trying to see if I can find any place to change the text to be 'bold' if it's possible. 

I will change the background as you have done. Your background looks awesome!! :)