Frame rate discussion

Bluewings

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything over 2.0 gig (AMD XP2600+) or Pentium III 2.2 will do nicely...

I'm running a 1.4GHz Athlon, and that (even by my pretty-tough standard) is fine if you play 800x600. Go to 1024x768 or bigger and you'll start to get dips which won't bother an F8/F5 player but will make stress gunnery impractical.

How about GeForce FX 5500 AGP 8X?

Hmmm...me too TH :-(

I thought I was in pretty good shape for ProPE. I started upgrading last Christmas with and AMD 3000+ and 512k ram with 160gigs on the hard drives.

I added the GeForce FX5500 AGP 256k which I thought would be good based upon what was published for System Requirements at the time (and I got it new for $44!!).

I have a 512k stick arriving today to bump me up to 1 Gig memory, but now it looks like I will want to get a better graphics card :-(.

Well....something else to look forward to...LOL

Really ? I don't think so. :P

1024x768 is now the standard, and greater resolutions are very common in new games.

The point that is quite sad IMO, is that I did bought a laptop last year, one of the main reasons was SB PPE. The "nearly best" was ATI Radeon Mobility 9700, and I see that I will barely be able to run the sim at medium detail with a poor resolution (800x600 is a poor resolution, as I run most games at least at 1024x768). That means that SBPPE will be, if this benchmark is true, the simulator will have the worst performances on my laptop... When I consider that I run prettier sims like SilentHunter4 or SWAT4 in 1024x768 with all options ON, I'm surprised !! Also considering that SilentHunter4 is nearly as complex, and graphically challenging than SB (huge cargo convoys, storms, dynamic campaign simulating all tha Atlantic Ocean... etc).

Is it true ? Or is it not smartly coded ?

My guess is that those benchmark are pessimistic... I hope I'm true ! 125$ for a 800x600 sim is expensive...

How about GeForce FX 5500 AGP 8X?

Hmmm...me too TH :-(

I thought I was in pretty good shape for ProPE. I started upgrading last Christmas with and AMD 3000+ and 512k ram with 160gigs on the hard drives.

I added the GeForce FX5500 AGP 256k which I thought would be good based upon what was published for System Requirements at the time (and I got it new for $44!!).

I have a 512k stick arriving today to bump me up to 1 Gig memory, but now it looks like I will want to get a better graphics card :-(.

Well....something else to look forward to...LOL

I am thinking about blowing a few grand (yep, I have been a cheap bastard for the past decade, thus an 18, soon to be 19 year old having a few grand laying around) on getting me what I would need to build a computer from scratch when summer comes. That or find a mother board that I can install a better graphics card on, but would be able to keep the rest of the hardware that I have on this computer.

Keep in mind SB's tank gunnery demands smoother frame rates than even a FPS in some situations. Even infantry sniping is easier because targets stop periodically and fire rates are higher.

Tracking a mover while under artillery fire, with the view zoomed, means your frame rate takes a beating at the exact times that you need a nice smooth track to score a hit. It doesn't mean the engine is weak, it's just the nature of armored combat.

One question when on the topic of graphics. What resolutions will be supported? Will only standard resolutions work or will there be support for widescreen. I am asking this because my screen is a 20 inch widescreen with a native resolution of 1680x1050. And since it's a LCD it looks crappy when you run it at anything else then the native resolution.

Apart from that I should be set. Just blew over 30000 kronor (about 3500 bucks) on a new rig and I have yet to find a game that won't run fine at max settings and 1680x1050 :)

Will SB2 be using the exact same graphics engine with the same textures and poly counts that will be in SBProPE? I understand that the above recommendations are 'conservative and based on subjective gut feeling', but I'm just curious if the list applies to SB2 also or will SB2 actually need higher requirements?

Thanks in advance...

• Administrators

Since SB2 doesnt exist yet, its too early to tell. But, I would guess there will be more eye candy type animations and effects added over time, and they will end up in pro pe too. When that happens, it might take more horsepower to run things well in high detail mode. Its really tough to speculate on what it will take to run what doesn't exist yet though.....

• Members

Most likely, at least in all major areas. Should we make the decision to oversize certain visual effects for eye candy purposes, we may scale them down in SB Pro to keep them realistic. But otherwise I don't see why we wouldn't want to keep a high degree of commonality wherever possible.