Frame rate discussion

Bluewings

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone with one of these widescreen LCDs please tell me:

What happens when you run a game, such as SB1, that is designed to be run at a different screen resolution than the native resolution of the widescreen monitor, does it look OK?

Since it is a wide screen, does the game not fill the widescreen monitor horizontally, or is part of the game cut off the screen vertically, or is the game distorted to a small degree to fill the screen completely in both directions?

So I am at work. Got done what I needed to get done before lunch so I have 45 Minutes to burn. I decide to come on here and see a very informative posting.. namely this one. Get on the phone to home because I am too impatient to wait another 5 hours, and ask my mom to double check what graphics card I have.

And what do I have? GeForce4 4200 Go :(

CRAP!!!!

Before I dispair... I have question for you techy/computer hardware buffs. How much do you think seeing as how I already have a nice 19inch screen, so I don' need a screen, would a computer cos that is good enough to play Pro PE quite well. I don't need to be able to play on the highest resolution PER SAY, but I do want a good Frames Per Second rate. What estimates would you give for the cost of a computer good enough to play it. (Of course im talking like just at the level necessary to play it fairly well, I am fully aware that a brand new computer will work.. :P ) Im just trying to think, if I can get my hands on a tower thats good enough for like 400 bucks.. then maybe I'd consider it. I know in recent years you can get like 1.5st class (so to say) towers for like 800 bucks Canadian, so I thought heck, a year old model no scree needed, I may be able to play Pro PE withouth having to invest a million dollars. Although buygin a computer only because of this game is already pretty die hard I think... Im a student keep in mind. (That means I have no money.)

Ludwig.

Ludwig.

The point that is quite sad IMO, is that I did bought a laptop last year, one of the main reasons was SB PPE. The "nearly best" was ATI Radeon Mobility 9700, and I see that I will barely be able to run the sim at medium detail with a poor resolution (800x600 is a poor resolution, as I run most games at least at 1024x768). That means that SBPPE will be, if this benchmark is true, the simulator will have the worst performances on my laptop... When I consider that I run prettier sims like SilentHunter4 or SWAT4 in 1024x768 with all options ON, I'm surprised !! Also considering that SilentHunter4 is nearly as complex, and graphically challenging than SB (huge cargo convoys, storms, dynamic campaign simulating all tha Atlantic Ocean... etc)....

Yes, but keep in mind SB Pro PE not only requires ram and graphics card for the actual graphics, but the ram and the processor(?not sure) also have to deal with all the ballistics and physics engines... physics engines are a real burden on a system the more realistic they are... its not just the look that you have to pay for in memory, its also REALISM. A simulator of this quality chews at memory in order to properly run all the physics engines. Ballistics, movement, synchronization etc etc. Im no expert at this stuff, but this much I do know. Many games with great graphics may burden a system because of those graphics, but they have no indepth physics models. Bullets go perfectly straight at a constant speed and do the same damange from anywhere. Grenades don't bounce realistically.... see things like that. When you introduce physics ENGINES thats the word I was looking fro... when you introduce advanced physics engines, it demands system resources. Thats just how it is.

And by the book, at least in the past when computers weren't as good as they will be in the future, it was GAMES that were made for graphics and typically simpler game play (relatively to sims anyway), and SIMULTORS had bad graphcis because the system resources had to be allocated to the physics engines.

Now, the dawning of a new era... a SIM like SB Pro PE has BOTH graphics and advanced physics engines. Hense the need for a strong system. It will be worth it though, it really will. Its about time something like this was put together in my opinion. Glad to see ESIMs step up and get it done.

Ludwig.

• Members

No, I wouldn't claim that SB Pro is sporting a physics engine in the true meaning of it. We do take some of the relevant factors in mind, yes, but it is limited to just a few objects and occasions where this comes into play.

As far as your question is concerned about the new computer, I think that a replacement of your graphics card would do just nicely. A Radeon 9600 is dirt cheap and much faster than the Ti 4200 - all you need to do is find a relatively modern AGP card; the biggest costs would come from a new CPU and mainboard and RAM to facilitate a new PCI-Express card. I think that this would be overkill.

• 1 month later...
Amendment to my last:

It seems if there is a lot of grass around, that'll bog my system down. Playing "instant action" with Leo1 got framerates as low a 6 FPS, and at that point, the slowdown was enough to affect gunnery.

6FPS Woah. I have been lurking and sitting on the fence for a few days now and I'm starting to think against buying the sim due to possible performance issues. I'm running a Dell XPS laptop 3.4 GHZ P4 1GB RAM and a ATI 9700 Radeon Mobility chip. I have read that I can expect to run it at 800x600 with possible slowdowns. I understand that the terrain makes a huge difference and looking at the tree's on some of the maps it looks like things can become a slide show very quickly. Thanks to all who are posting they're benchmarks including FPS and the situations during which they are encountered.

My hope is for a smooth running sim that gives me reasonable realism, I really could care less about the eye candy. I gave the demo of T-72 Balkans a try and was totally turned off by the very poor frame rates. I have no problem supporting my hobby by spending $125 but at the same time it does make me want to be that much more informed about what to expect before purchasing.

Thanks again for any input or experiences.

JC

Ssnake wrote:

I have a similar notebook, and run our software with 1024x768 when showing off to customers. I think that the performance of the 9700 mobility is sufficient for that resolution (no antialiasing activated, though).

Ssnake

Can you tell me what kind of framerates you are experiencing with your laptop? I know that always isn't the best way to judge the performance but I at least like to see 20FPS as a minimum. Also my laptop has a "widescreen" and 1920x1200 default max resolution, if I run in 1024x768 will it cover the whole screen? Thanks for the info.

JC

Mako88:

Looking for some helpful info for upgrading my videocard. I have a ASUS P4C 800 motherboard with a GE Force FX5600 card. Just like some opinions of what would be a good card to upgrade to. Thanks.

I have an intel 2.4 oc-->2.88 ghz Asus P4P800E and upgraded to an ati x850xl 5.12 drivers from an ati 9600 and framerates for every game I play made a Huge Leap. I don't have sb pro pe yet so I can't benchmark the game for ya, but if your processor is as good(bad) as mine then I think you would do well to spend no more than $300 US and be good for a few years. Check out the nvidia 6800, they are very good from what I've read and fairly cheap too.! :D

I might have exagerated a bit , but count how many people on these forums are having trouble with NVidia drivers .

For the past 6 years , I had numerous video cards from both Companies and had very little to complain about .

Regarding the Quake3/4 and Doom3 story , it is iD 's fault because they implemented NVidia 's code into their softwares . ATI had to find a way around to make up for it ...

Cheers . :3starSK: