Frame rate discussion

Bluewings

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The Intel Graphics probably isn't going to be that good, especially with the shared video memory. However, since it has a PCI-Express slot, you can always upgrade to a better video card down the road...so that makes the purchase a little less risky IMHO...

• Members

I was surprised to learn that Intel's graphics chipsets are good enough to not make Steel Beasts crash. But that's the only redeeming feature of them as far as 3D gaming is concerned. Forget Intel chipsets if you want to play a game ... or run a virtual simulation in a 3D environment.

Been trying to decide on whether to buy, here are my spec's. Can I get it to run or should I hold until I can get a better system?:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation

System Model: Inspiron 8200

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A11

Processor: Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 - M CPU 2.50GHz

Memory: 1536MB RAM

Page File: 376MB used, 3058MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA Quadro4 700 GoGL

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: Quadro4 700 GoGL

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 64.0 MB

Current Mode: 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.8412 (English)

Thanks

• Members

Wasn't the Quadro4 card specialized for CAD purposes?

I think they don't perform very well as far as computer games are concerned. Be prepared for the need to upgrade the graphics card. The rest of the system specs looks good enough for sure.

However, I could be wrong, and the Quadros are actually better than the GeForce 7800 series. I'm not really sure what their strengthes and weaknesses are. You may want to google for a comparison of Quadro vs GeForce chipsets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm looking at a new computer before Vista comes out, I'm not an expert but I think it might eat up a lot of system resources. I'm looking at the Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.66GHz, 1066 FSB). I assume this will work well with SBProPE.

I'm also looking at the 7900GTX and the yet to come out X1950XT (which I think is a lot like the X1900XT except cooler and quieter). Does anyone know if SBProPE has any peculiarities that will cause one of these cards to perform significantly better than the other with the sim?

Thanks!

• Members

Haven't tested either card - I'm very happy with the 7800 GTX, so I guess the 7900 isn't worse. CPU... if cool & therefore quiet is of interest, why not look into the Athlon 64 series?

Multicore... sure, nice where it is utilized. And why use Vista when, as you say, it eats up more system resources as XP (which isn't exactly lean either). It's your call of course, but I think that in the current situation one can only win by NOT adopting early.

• 4 weeks later...

Just purchased an X1600 512mb card for my comp to replace the X800XT PE I have in there at the moment.

Hopefully that will help a little more when viewing the forests.

I intend to move to PCI-E at some point, but I thought it best to grab the highest ATi card I could to last me some more time :)

Ssnake, I'm curious why you have V-Synch enabled. In every other sim I've used (I won't say played :) ), that was the first thing everyone said to turn off because it demolishes frame rates (and it did). Not true in SB?

Also, why no AF? What is the advantage of having it turned off? Seems to me it makes curved objects look smoother.

Your list looks about right. I had to go out and replace my gaming computer after its cooling system died for the third time in 2.5 years (a Shuttle, a good brand to avoid). It had a 9800 Pro in it (which still works fine) and it ran SB very well.

The new one has an Athlon 64 X2 5000 processor and an ATI X1950 Pro, so it really screams but both will, of course, be obsolete within about three days.

Anyway, if you have a sec, I'm curious about V-Synch and AF. Being the Arizona Poster Child for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I'm constantly tweaking :)

Thanks!

HT

• Members
Ssnake, I'm curious why you have V-Synch enabled. In every other sim I've used (I won't say played :) ), that was the first thing everyone said to turn off because it demolishes frame rates (and it did). Not true in SB?

Oh, it IS true. However, since I tend to make screenshots for the public, tearing looks really bad especially when scanning the area with trees in sight, or building edges. Since my frame rates are "good enough" for my taste with VSync enabled I see no reason why I should switch it off. But that's juts my personal decision.

Also, why no AF? What is the advantage of having it turned off?

The only benefit that I see from Anisotropic Filtering is that it sharpens the ground textures a bit, and the expense of a small frame rate drop for the lower filter modes. Personally I think that the ground actually looks better without AF, and if it gives me a better frame rate - why should I enable it?

;)

As far as obsessive-compulsive computer tuning is concerned, I have learned that it kills by far more time than you might gain through faster computing results. Tweak less, play more I say. Nothing against a bit of tweaking, it's just the obsessive-compulsive part that doesn't make sense. Then again, which obsessive-compulsive habit does?

;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My personal impression with older generations' cards (Radeon 9600, 9700, and the corresponding NVidia cards (6600 et al)) was that Radeon offered higher peak frame rates but had regular subtle slowdowns when you were in a moving vehicle. I can't say if that's still the case with lates generation Radeons, I currently only use a GeForce 7800 GTX.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Ssnake!

I agree with your philosophy on graphics cards. This laptop will be purchased for a somewhat special purpose.

The ATI RADEON Xpress 200M graphics appear to have Win9x/Me drivers which will give me the ability to run old DOS programs, Windows 98 programs (of which I have a large collection) as well as the newer sims like SB Pro PE on a new laptop.

I like doing dual boots and such & setting up Win9x/Me & WinXP is no problem.

As long as it'll run SB Pro PE, it'll work for my purposes! Thanks.

Hey Fellas,

I did a search but couldn't find the ATI MOBILITY RADEON X200M graphics card discussed anywhere.

Think it'll work for SB PRO PE? For example in a laptop such as this?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5192501

I haven't been keeping up with the latest changes in graphics. Thanks.

-- AF '94 Player

If your laptop is the exact same spec as the one you have linked to, I'd have thought the Celeron CPU would be a bit of a problem as well.

Hopefully I'll turn out to be wrong about this, but thought I'd point it out incase the other more knowledgeable folks round here had missed it.